Should I buy the new Nexus 7?

edited 2013-07-31 23:44:57 in General
It's 220 dollars and it might help with note-taking and e-reading*.  Does anyone else have experience with note-taking on tablets?

Also, "the new Nexus 7" is a dumb name.  They should have called it "Nexus 7+" so that we can tell easier on Craigslist which one has the 1080p screen.

*I can do the e-reading part on my phone but four-inch screens aren't great for that.

Comments

• I have the "old" nexus 7 and it works great for both for me, although with the note taking it would depend on how fast you are with the virtual keyboard and/or how quickly you have to take notes.
  • I'm reasonably fast on Swype, though I'd need a note-taking app that lets me write on the tablet for mathematical equations.
  • Does anyone have recommendations on note-taking apps that would let me both type and scribble?
  • So I bought the new Nexus 7.

Does anyone have opinions on cases for the 2013 N7 or for tablets in general?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I'm good with my cheap tablet, but I have a large ultra-book and a Galaxy S4, so it's not like I'm hurting for superior tablet technology...
  • Well the Nexus devices tend to be cheap compared to their specs due to the fact that Google sells them nearly at cost in order to promote them as reference devices, hence why I'm looking at that, and will probably be looking at the Nexus 4 successor and the $30 T-Mobile plan when I exit contract for my phone next year.
  • UPS is now giving me conflicting information on whether my N7 is in Los Angeles or Indianapolis.  *sigh*
  • spinor said:

UPS is now giving me conflicting information on whether my N7 is in Los Angeles or Indianapolis.  *sigh*

Whenever I read this I like to pretend that you're Shepard.
  • Lol, no, I just use annoying abbrevs for mobile computers.
  • edited 2013-09-16 18:13:00
    (flower path)
    It's arrived.  I like it so far.  As far as note-taking goes, LectureNotes seems suitable but not quite optimal.  Would probably be better with a stylus.

I tried to post this from my N7 but it didn't work: every time I pressed the box to go in, the keyboard showed up for a second but then disappeared.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    spinor said:

I tried to post this from my N7 but it didn't work: every time I pressed the box to go in, the keyboard showed up for a second but then disappeared.
    It does that for me, too. The only way I'm able to post is if I hit the "Write Comment" button and enter the post as HTML. :\
  • edited 2013-09-16 19:22:54
    (flower path)
    Huh. It works for me when I do that. Bluh at having to deal with HTML (and of course I can't edit, and the textbox is impossibly long), but c'est la vie, I guess.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Mobile devices hate the WYSIWYG interface. This is the one problem with self-hosting; on the old Vanilla-hosted site, the WYSIWYG interface worked on mobile devices.
  • edited 2013-09-16 20:05:01
    @Acererak: I know that SmallReferencePools\Videogames feel.