COOL SWORD NAMES THREAD

edited 2013-07-31 04:10:20 in General
Actually, just one cool sword name. Masamune.

Because, really, compared to Masamune, all sword names are garbage.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Excalibur
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Andúril
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    THOUSANDLIMBS
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Fuckslayer
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Durandal.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Caledfwlch
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Masamune is garbage. 

NOTHUNG, bitches!
  • Sal!

(Stuck references, ahoy)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

WRINKLEFUCKER
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You all have missed Hildebrand and Gufbrandr and Zulfiqar. Their names are "sword of battle", "God's sword", and "cleaver of spines", respectively. Yeah.
  • Masamune (broadsword)
  • Hearteater was a good sword name, even if lol Joffrey
  • edited 2013-07-31 19:54:11
    I find myself more interested in legendary items created by modern-day lore.

Such as the Vampire Killer, Gades's Sword, Reah's Harmonica, and such.

In fact, I'd like to see a story where the villains have already gathered all the old legendary weapons, such as Excalibur, Durandal, and Longinus's Spear, and the good guys have to create or find new legendary weapons to fight them.

Would Sting and Orcrist (and anything from Tolkien) count as newer or older legendary items?

For some reason I'm inclined to count Tolkien and Lovecraft stuff as older, but I'm not sure yet.

I think Discworld has some stuff and I think that might count as newer.  At least I'm inclined to do so.
  • If anything, Discworld does the opposite. It often parodies the concept of a magical legendary weapon.

Although Carrot's sword might count.
  • edited 2013-07-31 20:08:02
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    If you read Discworld, you'd know that's not true. It's a narrative rule; if the sword is nameless, grubby, and a bit nicked, it's hot shit and it'll never break. If the sword is jeweled, named, and has a lineage, it'll break the first time it's seen because it's funny that way. 

And the Discworld works on narrative rules.

Carrot's sword absolutely does not count because it's the exact opposite of a legendary weapon. It's not pretty, it's not named, and you can put it in stone real well but you don't pull it out of a stone. It's just a really good sword.
  • edited 2013-07-31 20:26:00
    (flower path)
    Fuck, what were the names of Archer's two swords (that is, the yin/yang pair he really liked using) in F/sn?
  • edited 2013-07-31 20:34:13
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Kanshou and Bakuya/Gan Jiang and Mo Ye. The swords of sacrificial love. 
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    spinor said:

Hearteater was a good sword name, even if lol Joffrey

I do not understand this reference.
  • But yeah, GMH's story idea makes me think of Fate/stay night, since Gilgamesh has the originals of every legendary weapon (You have Excalibur?  That's nice, but I have Gram.  That's the original Excalibur, you probably haven't heard of it.) and on the other hand Archer* fights entirely with copies of weapons (such as the many many Kanshou and Bakuya copies he loves).

*Gilgamesh is also Archer class but nobody calls him by it, while Archer's true identity is the king of Nasuverse spoilers that have already been spoiled to hell and back
  • Aliroz said:

spinor said:

It's "A Song of Ice and Fire", recently popularized through the HBO series "Game of Thrones" (also the name of the first book).
  • If you read Discworld, you'd know that's not true. It's a narrative rule; if the sword is nameless, grubby, and a bit nicked, it's hot shit and it'll never break. If the sword is jeweled, named, and has a lineage, it'll break the first time it's seen because it's funny that way. 

And the Discworld works on narrative rules.

Carrot's sword absolutely does not count because it's the exact opposite of a legendary weapon. It's not pretty, it's not named, and you can put it in stone real well but you don't pull it out of a stone. It's just a really good sword.
    I said Carrot's sword might count because it was actually passed down from a king and because it's not just mundane, it's uniquely mundane.
  • edited 2013-07-31 21:21:42
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    spinor said:

Aliroz said:

spinor said:

It's "A Song of Ice and Fire", recently popularized through the HBO series "Game of Thrones" (also the name of the first book).
    Oh, that series. Lonesome Dove in mideval Europe.
  • edited 2013-08-01 02:19:57
    (flower path)
    There are dragons.  Or at least, were, until spoiler spoiler spoiler.
    spinor said:

*Gilgamesh is also Archer class but nobody calls him by it, while Archer's true identity is the king of Nasuverse spoilers that have already been spoiled to hell and back

I'd argue that Saber's identity is the king of Nasuverse spoilers, considering it's the one thing practically everyone who's heard of F/SN knows.
  • Was that even supposed to be a spoiler?
    All the servants identities are. Well, except Gil, and that's because he's Gil.
  • Pretty sure Alexander came straight out and said it as soon as he was summoned, too.

He said it to Saber and 0/Lancer, at least.
    Zero's a bit different, though. I mean, we instantly know who Saber is there, too. The thing is, in-universe, revealing your identity early is a pretty terrible idea, since it also reveals, to some extent, what your abilities and weaknesses are. It would be like Achilles or Balder being a servant and then outright saying who they are.
  • edited 2013-08-01 10:57:22
    (flower path)
    Alexander's power, of course, included giving absolutely zero shits about revealing weaknesses.  Ditto Gil.

Also, come to think of it, the game originally referred to Gil as "Archer" too, keeping his identity much longer than Alexander did.