is there some kind of law

edited 2013-07-27 12:24:39 in General
that states all publicly acessible computers must have Internet Explorer as the default (if not only) browser?

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    It's because it sucks. :D
  • edited 2013-07-27 12:40:29
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    About ten years ago, back when there wasn't really anything else (nothing else worth using, anyway), IT people had it pounded into them that IE 5/6 were the best browsers on the planet, and you shouldn't even consider anything else. Netscape 4 was junk, Firefox wasn't out yet, and other browsers like Opera and Konqueror were considered too weird to use.

A lot of those people are still working now, and likely believe all of Microsoft's claims about IE 9 and 10, too. :P
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I remember being pleasantly surprised that the jury computers at the Franklin County Municipal Court had both Firefox and Chrome installed.

(To explain that: in a big county like this one, they call in way more jurors than they'll need and have them sit around and wait all day just in case a trial comes up. So they offer computers for the jurors to entertain themselves with.)
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    That`s a nice way to make jury duty suck less.
  • I never liked how jury service is a self-selecting pool of people, and some people so obviously want to be excluded.  Unfortunately, I don't have a viable idea for fixing this.
  • That was one of the issues that people had with the Zimmerman case, actually.

Juror B37 post-ruling revealed herself to be an attention whore of magnificent proportions who was largely biased before joining the case. In fact, her interview video portrayed her as so unbiased and uninformed that any jury reviewer (not a real job, but you know what I mean) would have said 'yeah, she's gunning to be on this jury'.

Juror B37 was pro-Zimmerman, btw.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I find it amusing that this thread derailed into actually talking about laws
  • ^^^ I damn well hope I'm not the only one who saw this problem a long time coming.  There's no way in hell that people who disqualify themselves from jury duty are a representative sample of society.  As far as I can tell, people with means pretty much use whatever excuse they can to avoid jury duty, as do people without lots of free time, in general.  I hear about people talking about faking huge amounts of bias in order to avoid serving on a jury.  And then there's things like being out of town/state for business or school.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

My work pays us if we have jury duty.

The being said, when one of my co-workers was up for it my manager encouraged him to figure a way out (note, there's no hidden message or suggestion my manager threatened my co-workers employment here, he just didn't want to loose a developer for a week or more).