Post one page/video clip/excerpt from a piece of media you recommend

edited 2013-07-05 19:03:46 in General Media
Ce N’est Rien

Broodhollow

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

The judge wrote on and then he folded the ledger shut and laid it to one side and
pressed his hands together and passed them down over his nose and mouth and placed
them palm down on his knees.

Whatever exists, he said. Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists
without my consent.

He looked about at the dark forest in which they were bivouacked. He nodded toward
the specimens he'd collected. These anonymous creatures, he said, may seem little or
nothing in the world. Yet the smallest crumb can devour us. Any smallest thing beneath
yon rock out of men's knowing. Only nature can enslave man and only when the
existence of each last entity is routed out and made to stand naked before him will he
be properly suzerain of the earth.

What's a suzerain?

A keeper. A keeper or overlord.

Why not say keeper then?

Because he is a special kind of keeper. A suzerain rules even where there are other
rulers. His authority countermands local judgements.

Toadvine spat.

The judge placed his hands on the ground. He looked at his inquisitor. This is my
claim, he said. And yet everywhere upon it are pockets of autonomous life. Autonomous.
In order for it to be mine nothing must be permitted to occur upon it save by my
dispensation.

Toadvine sat with his boots crossed before the fire. No man can acquaint himself with
everthing on this earth, he said.

The judge tilted his great head. The man who believes that the secrets of the world are
forever hidden lives in mystery and fear. Superstition will drag him down. The rain will
erode the deeds of his life. But that man who sets himself the task of singling out the
thread of order from the tapestry will by the decision alone have taken charge of the
world and it is only by such taking charge that he will effect a way to dictate the terms
of his own fate.

I dont see what that has to do with catchin birds.

The freedom of birds is an insult to me. I'd have them all in zoos.

That would be a hell of a zoo.

The judge smiled. Yes, he said. Even so.

Blood Meridian

Comments

• edited 2013-07-06 01:14:23
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You see the guy in the green shirt?  He's this guy:

He's also this guy

And you wouldn't suspect it, but he took out one of the functionally immortal Homonculi with a single knife.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
     I am almost certain that this invention, though at times it seems to pose as a letter or journal entry, has never appeared in common print. Given the bizarre nature of its content, I would surely have known of it before now. Although it is an untitled “statement” of sorts, the opening lines were more than enough to cause me to put everything else aside and seclude myself in a corner of the library stacks for the rest of the afternoon.

So it begins: “In the rooms of houses and beyond their walls—beneath dark waters and across moonlit skies—below earth mound and above mountain peak—in northern leaf and southern flower—inside each star and the voids between them—within blood and bone, through all souls and spirits—among the watchful winds of this and the several worlds—behind the faces of the living and the dead . . .” And there it trails off, a quoted fragment of some more ancient text. But this is certainly not the last we will hear of this all-encompassing refrain!

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-07-06 11:50:14
    ON THAT NOTE
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ^^how could I ever hope to top that
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    i really like giant robo you guys