Purity is stupid.

edited 2013-07-05 03:53:01 in General

ME: Oh sweet, I get to buy a new laptop. Since I have all those photos I want a bigger hard drive than my last one. 750 gigabytes ought to do...

PURITY: Nice choice. Now, 20 gigs are taken up by a worthless recovery partition, and another 40 are taken up by the operating system and all your programs, so that leaves you about 90 gigs left for your stuff!

ME: Awesome! ...Wait, what?

PURITY: Well, otherwise the little bar in Windows Explorer will drop below "600 GB free", and that's a heinous crime against humanity that I absolutely will not tolerate.

PURITY: Really, you should be ashamed for even considering it.

ME: ...What was the point of buying a new laptop then?

PURITY: Hey, my job's keeping you pure, not helping you with economic decisions.

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    What the hell is Purity?
  • edited 2013-07-05 04:02:04
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My attempt at coping with intrusive thoughts though humor. I personify the intrusive thoughts because seeing thoughts like "oh god don't use the hard drive you paid for" spelled out as a voice makes me aware of how ridiculous they are and makes it easier not to give into them.
  • Can't you just hide the bar?

You should be able to hide the bar if you can't.

• edited 2013-07-05 04:05:58
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Aha!

That makes a lot of sense.

^ Yes... but it's still there. Hiding. Waiting.
  • edited 2013-07-05 04:09:50
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You do understand how an obsession works, right? I am pretty sure that you do. It's not rational.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Mo' said:

Can't you just hide the bar?

You should be able to hide the bar if you can't.

It's not actually about the bar itself so much as the state of the hard drive; it's just that the bar seems to be the most prominent place that information is displayed.
  • You do understand how an obsession works, right? I am pretty sure that you do. It's not rational.

I have spent entire days squeezing my hands together so I'm not tempted to cut my wrists, so yes I do.

admittedly my suggestion was not well thought out, but, yeah.

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Mo' said:

You do understand how an obsession works, right? I am pretty sure that you do. It's not rational.

I have spent entire days squeezing my hands together so I'm not tempted to cut my wrists, so yes I do.

admittedly my suggestion was not well thought out, but, yeah.

I realised soon after I wrote that that my phrasing was rather callous. I am terribly sorry.
  • edited 2013-07-05 09:53:17
    Solution: Install an OS that doesn't have that little bar.

I suggest DOS 1.0.