ITT: We reinterpret silly pop songs to have deep literary meaning.

edited 2013-07-04 22:21:55 in General
Call Me Maybe is clearly about a politician getting his career ruined by an affair a male prostitute.

"I'd trade my soul for a wish,
Pennies and dimes for a kiss" <== Hints at offering money for sex acts
"Your stare was holdin',
Ripped jeans, skin was showin'
Hot night, wind was blowin'" <=== Scantily clad boy, walking the streets at night
"It's hard to look right
At you baby," <== He is disgusted with himself, but still gives his number
"Before you came into my life
I missed you so bad" <== He knew he was gay and was deeply closeted even before he met the male prostitute.

What Makes You Beautiful is a common sense philosopher's rebuttal to a woman who is skeptical that beauty, knowledge, and external objects even exist.

"You're insecure,
Don't know what for," <== He thinks she should stop believing that certainty is impossible

"You're turning heads when you walk through the door,
Don't need make-up,
To cover up,
Being the way that you are is enough," <== Similar to Moore's Here Is A Hand argument, he argues that external objects (heads, chairs) clearly exist, because she interacts with them every day, and if she truly didn't believe that other people existed, she would not be putting on makeup to impress people.

"Baby you light up my world like nobody else,
The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed,
But when you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell,
You don't know,
Oh, oh,
You don't know you're beautiful,
If only you saw what I can see,
You'd understand why I want you so desperately,
Right now I'm looking at you and I can't believe,
You don't know,
Oh, oh,
You don't know you're beautiful,
Oh, oh,
That's what makes you beautiful" <=== He feels a deep intellectual connection with her as with no other person, because he realizes that she could be a great philosopher if she would just renounce her skepticism.

Comments