Problematic is a terrible word

edited 2013-06-22 22:57:26 in General
You know it's true.

Comments

• I find this thread very problematic.
  • edited 2013-06-22 23:02:48
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It's not the word, just the way that it's used. A detour in a road when you're trying to get somewhere quickly is problematic; making borderline racist jokes is kind of racist; using racially charged language in order to make a point about racism is not racist, although it may be uncomfortable for some people. That is all.
  • edited 2013-06-22 23:04:18
    People use "problematic" to mean not "causing a problem" but "about which I have a problem." I find that problematic and I have a problem with it.
  • oh, okay, that makes sense

danke schon
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Bitte schön, mein freund!
  • I've heard people call other people problematic. It made me very angry.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

That was this thread flying over my head, but I do not even want to know. :p
    Miko said:

whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

That was this thread flying over my head, but I do not even want to know. :p

There is a certain species of Social Justice Warlord™ that likes to refer to things, people or ideas that they dislike as "problematic" rather than confront the problems that they have with those things.
  • No, not just social justice warriors. Mainly it's people who are too lazy to articulate why they dislike something.
  • Kexruct said:

No, not just social justice warriors. Mainly it's people who are too lazy to articulate why they dislike something.

I find this post highly problematic.
  • edited 2013-06-22 23:17:46
    ^^ It seems to mostly be people that make a big deal about perceived offensiveness, though.

^ Oh, behave, you...
  • Kexruct said:

No, not just social justice warriors. Mainly it's people who are too lazy to articulate why they dislike something.

You're facetious use of the word problematic is something I find very problematic and pernicious and I'm feeling very triggered right now because of it.

• ^ Oh, behave, you...
    I find you asking me to behave highly problematic, and the fact that you are not rubbing my belly even more so.
  • Kexruct said:

Kexruct said:

You're facetious use of the word problematic is something I find very problematic and pernicious and I'm feeling very triggered right now because of it.

I find your use of the word "triggered" here highly problematic.
  • edited 2013-06-22 23:22:31
    There is nothing problematic about appropriating an actual medical term to describe me being slightly uncomfortable with something.
  • i find ur mom highly problematic.
    AW, SNAP!

*z-snap formation*
  • don't make me snap my fingers in a Z formation
    hip rotation 
    booty sensation
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Kex got told, yo.
  • I love you people, because you go and find out about these crazy things like MRAs and SJWs and comment on their use of language, so I don't have to.
  • I don't think I've ever actually heard the word problematic used (outside of its normal context of "causing a physical problem" of course) other than to make fun of perceived silliness by social justice people.

There was a lot of use of it in that one reddit circlejerk where they were hating on Anti-Racism Dog.

Mo' said:

I don't think I've ever actually heard the word problematic used (outside of its normal context of "causing a physical problem" of course) other than to make fun of perceived silliness by social justice people.

I have. It's annoying.
  • "Problematique" is an even sillier word
  • I've never heard "problematic" used in the way that's the focus of this thread.
  • I did, a lot of times. Usually from humanities professors
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've heard people use it that way too. It always sorta seemed to come off as "I take issue with X, but don't want to elaborate on why I take issue with X."
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Every time I see the word this thread is about, I read it in Strong Bad's voice.

• Usually I hear "problematic" as meaning "does not have a simple or intuitive solution".
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    are you haeving problem

[]TOLD
    [X]LONDON TOLD
    [X]EL DORADO: THE LOST CITY OF TOLD
    [X]TOLDERONE
  • edited 2013-06-23 14:43:05
    THE BELLS TOLD TO THEE

ON THE FIRST DAY OF HEAPMAS MY TRUE LOVE TOLD TO ME

THE FIRST RULE OF PROBLEM CLUB IS THAT YOU DO NOT TOLD ABOUT PROBLEM CLUB

I THINK THREAD IS A REALLY COOL PAGE, EH TOLD AND DOESNT AFRAID OF TELL
  • edited 2013-06-24 03:58:52
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

There is a certain species of Social Justice Warlord™

• The sadness will last forever.
    pro bum attic
  • ^^ Whoa, that actually looks pretty cool.