Amy's Baking Company

2»

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    This one was definitely interesting and that there never was a point where someone came to their senses long enough to ask Ramsay to stick around. 

Gordon almost leaving happens pretty frequently, but at least one person might beg him to stay, which is often enough.

Here I think he realized his input wouldn't be accepted anyways.

I do think it's interesting how frequently the owners believe that the food they sell is good and the problem MUST be something else. Usually Gordon gets enough of the staff involved to convince them that isn't the case. This time, it seemed he was shot down before he even got that far. 
  • I think most of the staff other than Amy and Samy realized that the food was crap, they just got fired if they said anything about it.

They did have a high enough employee turnover rate that it seems likely commenting on the food was punishable with a firing.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    So why did they go on the show in the first place if they honestly didn't want to improve?

Were they hoping that he would just say everything is excellent and everybody would love them or something?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I guess this is a case of wanting any attention, be it negative or positive.
  • Bunny said:

So why did they go on the show in the first place if they honestly didn't want to improve?

Were they hoping that he would just say everything is excellent and everybody would love them or something?
    Exactly that.  They thought they'd be able to go on Gordon Ramsay, he'd say the food is delicious, and give them tips on how to deal with "haters".
    Justice42 said:

They did have a high enough employee turnover rate that it seems likely commenting on the food was punishable with a firing.

Not only that, but saying "Are you sure?" is punishable with a firing; commenting on the food is probably even more grounds for a firing.
    Considering how nasty they are to their critics online, I'm surprised commenting on the food in real life doesn't merit not just getting fired, but a beating as well. :P
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    spinor said:

Not only that, but saying "Are you sure?" is punishable with a firing; commenting on the food is probably even more grounds for a firing.

If you comment on the food, they fire you, re-hire you, then fire you again. :P
  • edited 2013-06-14 02:13:22
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Bunny said:

Exactly that.  They thought they'd be able to go on Gordon Ramsay, he'd say the food is delicious, and give them tips on how to deal with "haters".

A incredibly common theme of Kitchen Nightmares is the owners or head chef are sure the food is fine and the problem must be elsewhere. Assuming there are "haters" is slightly less common, but it does come up. I think it's becoming more common as the seasons go on the restaurant owners assume there's some sort of online conspiracy.

This case was definitely the worse, though. I'm not sure if peeps looked at the video I posted, but these two are insisting their Facebook and other online accounts got hacked and all the nasty comments they're saying to people are actually h4x0rs. 
  • edited 2013-06-14 06:41:58
    Ah yes, the old "hacker" excuse. People didn't buy it then, they won't buy it now.

Yes, they did. In Amy's world, she is the best cook ever, outranking even Gordon in the sheer quality of her products.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Man, they just don't understand the concept of the show then, do they?

It's called Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. Why on Earth would he let them on the show if their restaurant is fine?
  • They think they're the "special snowflake exception" to the rule.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Justice42 said:

A incredibly common theme of Kitchen Nightmares is the owners or head chef are sure the food is fine and the problem must be elsewhere. Assuming there are "haters" is slightly less common, but it does come up. I think it's becoming more common as the seasons go on the restaurant owners assume there's some sort of online conspiracy.

Are we talking about the American version, the British version, or both? Because judging from another sample episode I watched, the American version has a disproportionate focus on ~relationship drama~.

Seriously, they made it out so that entire reason that the restaurant was failing was because the couple who owned it was losing faith in the restaurant and especially each other. The way they resolved it was absolutely stupid. I refuse to believe that any real person would instantly go from lazy, selfish jerk to hardworking, loving owner like the wife did.
  • edited 2013-06-15 14:29:37

Which episode is this?

But yes, it is kinda weird that Gordon Ramsay shows up to basically play therapist for the American version.

I'd call foul if it weren't for the fact that most the restaurants (especially the Americans) tank anyways, showing that Ramsay kicking someone in the ass is rarely enough to fix the problem.

I'm guessing whoever helps pick restaurants for Ramsay in the American version gravitates to the interpersonal drama. Not that the food is ever great, it's ALWAYS a factor.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    It was Barefoot Bob's.

And I suspect it has something to do with the fact that reality shows with interpersonal drama sell far better than they really should.

It was Barefoot Bob's.

And I suspect it has something to do with the fact that reality shows with interpersonal drama sell far better than they really should.
    This.

Also, I haven't watched this episode, but I looked up some stuff.

They reverted to their old menu and apparently screwed up their decor already.

Guessing this place has another year, max.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The American version likes to play up the drama as much as possible. The British version is a lot better about that--it's narrated by Ramsay himself, and he keeps a relatively calm (for Gordon Ramsay) tone throughout, focusing more on the food and business aspects.
  • edited 2013-06-15 15:47:15

Oddly enough, after watching lots of show with him and hearing other chefs talk about him, I get the picture that Ramsay is a warm, friendly person for the most part.

He just doesn't sugar coat things and goes into...well..."Gordon Ramsay mode" when people try saying the equivalent to "That's just your opinion, man!" when he talks about their food or when he's in the kitchen trying to maintain order (a busy restaurant kitchen is pretty much a battlefield anyways).

I think if my food opinion was worth tens of millions of dollars, I'd start getting pissed off, too.
    ^ Agreed.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-06-15 15:19:25
    I can imagine Ramsay being nice as a person. I mean, why else would he bother with a show called Kitchen Nightmares if he didn't at least have some desire to help others out with their struggling restaurants? He's already a world renowned 3-star Michelin chef, so it's not like he's doing it out of a lack of money. (Of course, the profit gained from the show can't hurt either, but I digress).

Frankly, being on the show's pretty honorable, given that he's taking his time out to help your situation (or at least attempt to, in this case).
  • edited 2013-06-15 15:50:35

He actually has a total of 14 stars in his restaurant empire. Though, the 3 is pretty important because that's what first established him as a top-level chef. 

But yeah, I think he basically started this as a way to help people. The American version is just a bit more sensationalized.
  • I thought that his Hell's Kitchen persona was just a facade he put on for the sake of ratings. 

I'm pretty sure he does actually scream at people when he's running a kitchen. His behavior is probably a little above what the average head chef is like, but not by much.

Most chefs I've seen who talk about him barely bat an eye at his behavior. 

He's usually nicer on Top Chef, but I've noticed he gets nasty when the chefs are making food for other people. He seems to have a pretty die hard "the customer above all else" attitude.
  • Justice42 said:

He's usually nicer on Top Chef, but I've noticed he gets nasty when the chefs are making food for other people. He seems to have a pretty die hard "the customer above all else" attitude.
    So what you're saying is he should be put in charge of Microsoft.

Hmmm, yes, I like it!
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Probably pretty stressful places to work, restaurant kitchens.
  • TL;DR - The Navy Seals copypasta IRL
  • Probably pretty stressful places to work, restaurant kitchens.

I've heard they're one of the most stressful places, basically.
  • spinor said:

Probably pretty stressful places to work, restaurant kitchens.

I've heard they're one of the most stressful places, basically.
    eeeyuuup

Now imagine you're put in charge of running it and each dish that comes back to the kitchen you get the honor of hearing about it first knowing that, while you may not directly contributed to the dishes failure, it was still your job to inspect it before letting it hit the window.
  • It's almost CWC-esque, though at least CWC actually was being trolled.

These people are worse than CWC. The worst CWC can do is stalk people and be an insensitive asshole. These people were actively exploiting workers and verbally abusing everyone else.

Collecting tips off your workers and demanding customers pay for food they never received is definitely pretty evil.
  • It's worse than that. At times, they would force the workers to wash their car for no pay at all.
  • ...is it bad that I want to eat there?

I'd imagine many people go there to see how bad it is or expecting to see a show.

Some of the Yelp comments is that the experience isn't as fun as one would think and they just sort of get mediocre food and can hear arguing coming from the kitchen. 
  • Infamous for a raisen
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    raisen
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I've gotten around to watching this episode

Oh god, they seem unreal

Also, their logo is schlocky and cheap-looking
    oh my god these people are batshit insane

I admit, I feel kind of bad for Amy; she clearly has some kind of mental disorder
    Whatever sympathy I might have had totally vanished with their refusal to stop stealing tips from their staff
  • Any news on them lately?
    Their employee contract has been revealed.
    Oh, joy, they're in Scottsdale. I have it on good authority from someone that lives in Tucson that Phoenix sucks. :P
  • inb4 they get a reality show
  • ^^Scottsdale is the rich person part of Phoenix, really. Like, there's like a Jaguar dealership next to a BMW dealership there, I think.
  • edited 2013-07-02 19:42:37
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Ah, sort of like Tysons Corner/McLean/North Arlington, VA or most of Montgomery County, MD here. They kind of form a continuum, really, being right across the Potomac from each other.

The employee contract wouldn't be to bad except for some strange items like "leave the premise immediately" and language like "this is a legally binding contract", etc...

Little touches that hint the place is messed up.

• I recently learned that Gordon Ramsay's own restaurants actually freeze food, meanwhile he yells at everyone else for doing it.
    I'm surprised Ramsay wasn't like "Fuck this, I'm calling the health inspector and the police".