PUNK'S NOT DEAD

edited 2013-06-09 21:03:37 in General

Comments

• i am incapable of handling this
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    >a CD called "PUNK" that's full of New Wave and light rock songs

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
  • Erasure is the greatest band in the history of hardcore.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    No, d00d it's Huey Lewis and the News
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Calling this "punk" is a brazen insult to the legacy of The Clash.

Wait.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Not every song by The Clash is hard and fast though even though that is generally what punk sounds like. :)
    Yes, that's why I posted "Hitsville UK" (a twee-pop Motown thing) and "Lost in the Supermarket" (a new wave track).

It is a little ridiculous that a compilation named PUNK apparently didn't have any loud, fast, three-chords-and-the-truth tracks. But my understanding is that the distinction between punk and post-punk / goth / new wave is an after-the-fact one. That, back in the 70s and early 80s, it was all considered "punk", and "new wave" was just what people said when they couldn't admit in polite society that they listened to "punk".
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I've learned something.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I just think the presentation is hilarious.
  • edited 2013-06-10 11:58:42
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ Well, there was a distinction between punk and post-punk even then, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. At that point, punk really was more a matter of attitude than fixed genre convention, or at least such was the attitude of actual punks.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    This commercial apparently dates from the 90s, though. By which time the distinction between punk and new wave etc. would have been well-established, yes?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yes. Hence the humour.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Calling this "punk" is a brazen insult to the legacy of The Clash.

Wait.
    I know, right?

Holy crap, I looked up Huey Lewis and the News on wikipedia, and found out they used to be Clover—the uncredited backing band from Elvis Costello's first album.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    MetaFour said:

Holy crap, I looked up Huey Lewis and the News on wikipedia, and found out they used to be Clover—the uncredited backing band from Elvis Costello's first album.

I know right?

Personally I find that Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

• The "punk" guy from that commercial reminds me of the guy at 2:20.