Is World War 2 a myth?

edited 2013-05-30 01:17:25 in Talk

How literally can we take the basic narrative of the German people electing mass-murdering occultists, the bizarre decisions of whose leader, Hitler, to fight a war on two fronts gets Europe divided between rival political blocs led by the United States and Russia?

First, America doesn't even enter the story of the Western front until it's half over. Until then, the heroes are Church Hill of Britain and Charles de Gaulle of France. And not only is "Gaul" the ancient name of France, but "Charles" descends from "Carl", the common Germanic term for "man." Should we not be skeptical of such an allegorical name? The same goes for Britain's Prime Minister Church Hill. Arranging the narrative so someone of that name is the hero looks like a blatant attempt by Christians to take credit for a conflict whose factual beneficiary was the secular United States.

Yes, I posit that the United States was the factual beneficiary of whatever real conflict lies behind the narrative. Because while all Russian and some Western versions of the story make Russia mainly responsible for defeating Hitler, there are two problems with this. First, the leader in question has yet another mythic name, "Stalin", meaning "Man of Steel." This is an epithet of the fictional hero Superman. Were the Russians who claimed credit just punning on the "superman / subhuman" ideology associated with the defeated Hitler? Second, all versions of the war start with the Germans attacking Poland, and the Man of Steel's bloc only assumes a heroic role in the winter that the United States entered the war, when the evil and stupid Hitler breaks a non-aggression pact (and why was heroic Russia making pacts with someone so evil?) shortly before the harsh Russian winter. And the hegemony established by the Russian army over half of Germany and all points east conveniently disappears from history 45 years later, leaving the United States with sole hegemony.

So what facts are we left with once the mythic heroes with their allegorical names are cleared away? A war between Hitler's Germany and Eisehower's America, using the former's invasion of Poland as a cassus belli, that established the latter's world hegemony. And while there's no reason to doubt that Hitler was a real person with really inferior military leadership, the ideology attributed to his regime is conveniently the exact opposite of everything America stood for.

Comments

• i'm convinced.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    10/10, would recommend. 
  • Man of Steel, of course, is known to be a pseudonym, and self-elected one as that
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    All of existence is a myth, for we are all gods.

And since everyone is a god, nobody shall be.
  • he main reason I am rather fond of Victory day celebration is that, as told in Russia, at least, the whole thing is as close to Good vs Evil as possible in reality.

The actual historical events are, of course, messier. And it's probably callous of me to say that it makes a fine tale. But it does
  • So, America is just a Deus Ex Machina. Who knew.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You know what?

I like to pretend that neither world war ever happened, that Dresden was never bombed, that Mao never did anything other than invent a neat new style of handwriting for the chinese, and that never were human beings slaughtered in the millions.

That's really untrue, I know, but its comforting.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^ I like this idea.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Nope, humans are bastards, killing each other every day.
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, but they also kill alligators and crocodiles and gharials and caimans in the thousands every day, and that's worse because crocodilians are inherently superior to mammals.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    (citation needed)
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^^ What about dinosaurs?
  • edited 2013-05-31 00:24:13
    Pizza Dog
    Aliroz said:

Yeah, but they also kill alligators and crocodiles and gharials and caimans in the thousands every day, and that's worse because crocodilians are inherently superior to mammals.

>Superior.
    >Killed by humans.

You can't have it both ways
  • edited 2013-05-31 12:33:37
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Oh, than how are you humans killed by disease if you're so superior to bacteria?

^^ Dinosaurs survived.  We know them today as avians.
    So are crocodilians superior to birds?
    (2015 self)
    Crocodilians and birds are more closely related to each other than to anything else living in the world.  Crocodilians and Birds are the only living descendants of the Archosaurs.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    imageimage
    ^ And then Nazi mages fought ornigators?
  • Humans are not superior to bacteria, but bacteria is not actually a life-form in the same sense of Crocodiles and Humans, Bacteria is more a force than a living organism, and scientists in charge of learning about Bacteria wield its power for the betterment of human.

Bacteria Mage.
    (2015 self)
    Ah, cousin Strulofigh the CROCADUCKAGATORBIRDAGHARICAIMAN, you really need to stop posing naked for photographers.