Ghost Stories English dub

edited 2013-05-29 02:07:41 in General Media
This has exceeded my wildest dreams. Below is a random sampling, but all the episodes appear to be on YouTube.

Comments

• ahh, I saw this several years ago.

It's always odd when something you knew personally starts making the rounds on tumblr, but yeah it's hilarious.

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Ah, the one show that Stephen Foster significantly improved in translation...
  • "It could never work between us. Not because you're rabbit, but because you're Black."

I simultaneously laughed and groaned at that line.
  • if you've ever seen the subs or just read the script for the original you know

well

it's just real bad.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I like the born again's dialogue, and the fact that the little kid's lines are mostly incomprehensible sounds of terror.

Mo' said:

if you've ever seen the subs or just read the script for the original you know

well

it's just real bad.

I've watched the first two episodes and it seems the timing is a little off, like when the main character is being pulled into another dimension and the two girls are debating how to fix this problem.

The dubs solution of having him scream his head off while they debate was genius.

I have trouble imagining that this anime isn't ten times better with this treatment.
  • edited 2013-05-30 20:07:47
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I love how a few of the characters have started quoting the Bible just from hanging around with Momoko.

This is especially funny with Leo who is Jewish and quotes Hebrews, a New Testament book. Subtle and hilarious.

Apparently a company actually released a dub that was true to the original, though the ADV one was favorably panned by critics and supposedly the original Japanese licensor (Aniplex) approved of the changes.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    SHUT UP I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CAT HE'S PROBABLY DEAD

Using the "dead mother" to shame the male lead into action comes up again later. They did well in the running gags.