The tendency of heroes to be "merciful"

edited 2013-05-22 07:00:51 in General Media
So let's talk Star Wars. Everyone loves Star Wars!

At the end of RoTJ, there's everything you'd expect from an epic finale. Luke goes all big hero and faces his father, Darth Vader, in combat and is victorious. Darth Vader is down for the count. Luke is in a perfect position to take revenge on Vader for severing his arm, killing his mentor, and being a general bad dude who condoned mass murder and genocide...

And he refuses.

I don't understand. Luke had everything handed to him on a silver platter. Why didn't he take the dive, do what anyone else would do? 

But this is nothing to what happens next. Luke goes up to Vader's boss, Palpatine, and says generic "You're screwed" hero stuff to him. Palpatine says a few villain things and they fight. And you know what? Luke loses. Narrative takes a sidestep to logic here: how can a farmboy with relatively little training stand up against the most formidable Sith sorcerer in the galaxy? And Luke doesn't just lose, he loses badly. At the end of it, he is crying and writhing on the ground in agony!

And you know what happens next? Darth Vader stands up and dunks Palpatine down a shaft, resulting in both their deaths. (The EU reveals that Palpatine became an evil ghost but screw the EU)

The implications are so clear that they aren't implications and are instead so explicit they might as well have hung a neon sign on it. Were it not for Luke's mercy (traits associated with weakness), he would have been a piece of charcoal sitting next to his father's corpse. Luke doesn't save the day by punching Palpatine to death and single-handedly kersploding the Death Star: he wins because he forsakes revenge out of mercy.

And Luke's not the only one. 

In Lord of the Rings, Frodo continually decides not to kill Gollum, even when (a.) he has sufficient reason to (Gollum tries to make him spider chow) and (b.) it is reinforced by Sam that he could end Gollum whenever he wanted to. If it were Gimli or Aragorn in his place, Gollum would have been thwacked in two long ago. And Gollum's "alive" state is what leads to Sauron's downfall in the end. It is notable that again, Frodo does not directly cause Sauron's downfall. It is even underlined at the end that Frodo loses. He succumbs to the Ring, just like Isildur and Gollum before him. If Gollum weren't alive, Frodo would have gone crazy and Sauron would be kicking back and watching the Orcs kill everyone. It is Frodo's mercy (let me highlight that this is normally a weak and not very heroic trait), not his strength or cunning, that scores him the victory in the end. 

Where did this trend of "heroic mercy" come from? 

Comments

• ...is this the right forum for this?  This looks like an Eelektross IJBM post.
  • Heh heh, you're spot on.

I actually locked myself out of IJBM when everyone else left. I was actually meaning to do so for some time, but that incident is what brought me over the edge. I have a lot of reasons as to why I left, and I can't say that I don't regret it on some level. I'm pretty sure that the place doesn't miss me back, though.

I found this sitting around on my PC. I thought it'd be a waste to let it rot, so I posted it here.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Probably from modern Christian ideas of the purity of intent or even a mutation of a Mohistic idea of universal care or something like that.

Does it matter, though? 
  • Acererak said:

(let me highlight that this is normally a weak and not very heroic trait),

By what standards is mercy weak and not heroic? let's say those standards just changed then.

There you go, now mercy is heroic.
  • edited 2013-05-22 10:53:50
    > I actually locked myself out of IJBM when everyone else left.
    You mean when a few people left and everyone else stayed?

Also, the reason is because revenge more easily makes a character look like a jerk.
  • edited 2013-05-22 10:55:28

but the question is, are the people who stayed worth talking to? i mean from what i heard the people who left were all the people i might be interested in interacting with.

(*i have no idea, all i heard is that things happened and people left*)
  • that post is poorly constructed, but my meaning can be gleaned from it hopefully.
  • You can decide for yourself by going to the forum itself.

Though apparently there is indeed a demand for a place to post this sort of content, so it would be quite ironic if the people who left IJBM end up simply re-creating it in spirit elsewhere.  Such as HH, which seems to be the most likely place since we do have a high degree of userbase overlap.
  • You can decide for yourself by going to the forum itself.
    nahhhhh

Though apparently there is indeed a demand for a place to post this sort of content, so it would be quite ironic if the people who left IJBM end up simply re-creating it in spirit elsewhere.  Such as HH, which seems to be the most likely place since we do have a high degree of userbase overlap.
    iunno if a thread or two is really "recreating it in spirit", js.
  • anyways, responding to the OP

(let me highlight that this is normally a weak and not very heroic trait)

you have actually given a lot of examples showing that it is a trait that many heroes share and is seen as positive.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Because the idea that heroic = constantly aggressive and violent is stupid.
  • see, imi gets it.
  • Because the idea that heroic = constantly aggressive and violent is stupid.

So how about that new God of War.

Hur hur hur.
  • Hmm. Most people that I've listened to concerning GoW recognize that Kratos isn't the most heroic character.

We just root for him because the gods are jerks.
  • do people play those games

of course they do
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Because killing the bad guy won't bring his victims back to life.

Stopping him will prevent more people from becoming his victims.

And, once you've won, you'd basically be kicking him while he's down.
  • edited 2013-05-22 12:24:43

I never said that...

Acererak said:

(let me highlight that this is normally a weak and not very heroic trait),

By what standards is mercy weak and not heroic? let's say those standards just changed then.

Because being a hero has always been about exercising power, not limiting its use.

Aliroz_ said:

Because killing the bad guy won't bring his victims back to life.

Stopping him will prevent more people from becoming his victims.

And, once you've won, you'd basically be kicking him while he's down.

Must feel pretty good to, though.
  • edited 2013-05-22 12:37:46

Also, the reason is because revenge more easily makes a character look like a jerk.

That's not true. I know a lot of revenge-driven characters who don't look like jerks. Not every vengeful character is Kratos.

Like that chick from Kill Bill! Or your character in Pokemon R/B/Y!

Hell, if anything revenge makes someone more relatable! All of us have wanted revenge at some point. Not all of us have wanted to follow some "knight's code" or anything like that. 
  • Because being a hero has always been about exercising power, not limiting its use.

Not really, no...
  • Naney said:

Because being a hero has always been about exercising power, not limiting its use.

Not really, no...
    Why not? A hero is a hero because he can do things others can't. Why limit that? 
  • A hero is a hero because he can do things others can't

No, a hero is a character that displays courage and noble qualities such as self-sacrifice.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Naney said:

Not really, no...

Why not? A hero is a hero because he can do things others can't. Why limit that? 
    Having power and using it for your own ends and only your own ends makes you a villain.  Having power and using it for the benefit of others and knowing when to NOT use it for the benefit of others is heroic.  
  • Acererak said:

Naney said:

Not really, no...
    I don't think you quite understand what a hero actually is.
  • Jet Li made a movie called Hero.
  • Jet Li made a movie called Hero.

ah, one of my favorite pieces of nationalist propaganda.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Considering how blatantly insane the Emperor was historically speaking, and how fast his dynasty deteriorated, Jet Li might have been better off showing him his stabs.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    There are situations where being merciful actually results in more deaths though

See Batman and the Joker
  • There are situations where being merciful actually results in more deaths though

See Batman and the Joker
    How about those times where killing has directly caused more deaths anyway.

/Freddy Krueger.
  • There are situations where being merciful actually results in more deaths though

See Batman and the Joker
    Also, on this note, I find it kind of hilarious the big climax with Batman Begins ends with the quote.

"I'm not gonna kill you, but I don't need to save you"

and then the Darknight it's like "I'm saving you Joker, just cause"
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    To be a hero you must first be a real human bean
  • edited 2013-05-22 20:50:20
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    All right, Acerak. Say you're a "hero". You've laid waste to your enemies, drank from the cup of life until your stomach was close to bursting, and anyone who has ever slighted you is now dead, maimed, or otherwise destroyed. You know not any weakness such as mercy, love, righteousness, nor compassion. Your hands take what you want, when you want. You are clearly the greatest of heroes.

Now look in the mirror and tell me if you can wash the red off. Tell me if those hands have ever built, ever saved, ever been still. Tell me your eyes aren't cold and dead. Tell me you're not the villain of this tale.
  • All right, Acerak. Say you're a "hero". You've laid waste to your enemies, drank from the cup of life until your stomach was close to bursting, and anyone who has ever slighted you is now dead, maimed, or otherwise destroyed. You know not any weakness such as mercy, love, righteousness, nor compassion. Your hands take what you want, when you want. You are clearly the greatest of heroes.

Now look in the mirror and tell me if you can wash the red off. Tell me if those hands have ever built, ever saved, ever been still. Tell me your eyes aren't cold and dead. Tell me you're not the villain of this tale.
    you are a very overly dramatic individual.
  • Remember when Jesus was a hero.

He had mercy.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Acererak said:

I never said that...

Yes you did.
  • edited 2013-05-22 22:19:04
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

you are a very overly dramatic individual.

Thanks, I try.

See Batman and the Joker

But if Batman kills the Joker, DC will go out of business since the Joker's too dead to do anything. Unless the Joker can resurrect whenever he wants to, and in that case how is it any different than being locked up in Arkham?

Remember when Jesus was a hero.

He had mercy.

And he ended up getting nailed to a stick by the people he tried to save. Not really the best example.

All right, Acerak. Say you're a "hero". You've laid waste to your enemies, drank from the cup of life until your stomach was close to bursting, and anyone who has ever slighted you is now dead, maimed, or otherwise destroyed. You know not any weakness such as mercy, love, righteousness, nor compassion. Your hands take what you want, when you want. You are clearly the greatest of heroes.

So, mercy is important if you don't want to be Belkar Bitterleaf?
  • Remember when Jesus was a hero. 

He had mercy. 

And he ended up getting nailed to a stick by the people he tried to save. Not really the best example.

you know full well that that isn't the end of the story
  • Yeah.  It was a giant X.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Naney said:

A hero is a hero because he can do things others can't

No, a hero is a character that displays courage and noble qualities such as self-sacrifice.
    Justice42 said:

Naney said:

Not really, no...

Having power and using it for your own ends and only your own ends makes you a villain.  Having power and using it for the benefit of others and knowing when to NOT use it for the benefit of others is heroic.  

What these fine and intelligent gentlemen said. There is a difference between a hero and a Nietzschean übermensch. The two can hypothetically overlap, but overall, the essential quality of a truly heroic character is a noble and selfless strength. Part of that strength is the quality of mercy.
  • @Acererak: I don't know Kill Bill, but the player-character in Pokémon RBY is primarily driven by the desire to be the best.  In fact, if you cite revenge, revenge requires prior defeat, and I should observe that being defeated by your rival isn't even canonical; canonically, the player-character wins all the matches against the rival.  Unless you count being smelled later by him to be "defeat".
  • Also, the last time we had revenge 'round these parts, we had curiously-displayed webpages.
  • edited 2013-05-24 01:56:03
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I don't think a desire for revenge necessarily makes a character evil per se, but I wouldn't consider Beatrix a hero. She spent a good part of her life as a killer for hire and only stopped because continuing would put her unborn child in danger. Her motivation after she things she's lost the child is strictly selfish, though perhaps not undeserved. The first thing we see her do is kill someone who had retired from killing and even started a family. She also removed a few appendages from someone simply to show she was out for blood and to get information.

If anything, she probably counts as an antihero.
  • She does have a very interesting character arc, in that she becomes less antiheroic but never steps into hero territory.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The Bride is not a hero. She is a monster, and a repentant one at that. Neither is Kratos a hero, nor Conan, nor any of them. And if monsters kill other monsters in the name of vengeance, we can't decry them because that's what we expect them to do. 

But we expect better from those we call heroes. We expect them to be bigger than us, stronger than us, better than us. We take our lessons from the ones in the sky, not those lying in the mud with us.
  • glennmagusharvey said:@Acererak: I don't know Kill Bill, but the player-character in Pokémon RBY is primarily driven by the desire to be the best.  In fact, if you cite revenge, revenge requires prior defeat, and I should observe that being defeated by your rival isn't even canonical; canonically, the player-character wins all the matches against the rival.  Unless you count being smelled later by him to be "defeat".

Gary/DOUCHE/whatever is constantly condescending towards your character, always claiming that outside forces or his own mercy are responsible for your victories. It is immensely satisfying to prove him wrong, to prove that you
    are better than him, and rob him of his victory at the end. And it only gets sweeter when his grandfather snubs him in favor of you.

It's pettier than most examples, but it's still pretty cathartic. 

The Bride is not a hero. She is a monster, and a repentant one at that. Neither is Kratos a hero, nor Conan, nor any of them. And if monsters kill other monsters in the name of vengeance, we can't decry them because that's what we expect them to do. 

But we expect better from those we call heroes. We expect them to be bigger than us, stronger than us, better than us. We take our lessons from the ones in the sky, not those lying in the mud with us.

I don't really see how being vengeful makes someone a monster, though...

And Conan might not be very morally built, but I wouldn't compare him to Kratos. To my knowledge, Conan never killed entire villages for kicks. 
  • edited 2013-05-24 10:39:37
    Okay, fuck this site's formatting. In fact, I'm so pissed at it I'm going to enact a revenge quest on it.
  • edited 2013-05-24 10:43:24
    Acererak said:

I don't really see how being vengeful makes someone a monster, though...

And you never will. 
  • No, I don't think I ever will.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Vengefulness does not a monster make, but it certainly does not a hero make. A hero may initially be driven by vengeful feelings, but in the end, a true hero rises above those feelings in favour of doing what is righteous rather than what feels satisfying.

An antihero does not have to, however. Which can be more cathartic and relatable even if the end result is less morally acceptable.