KHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN

edited 2013-05-17 19:09:53 in General
Why are you a British Indian man instead of a Mexican Indian man now?

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    You know, I didn't even see the '09 Star Trek but the thought of Khan being played by a British dude piques my interest
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    COOOOOOOOOOOOON!
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Beneknickers Cummerbund
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Bennebunny Cammerbot 9000
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Haven't seen the movie yet, but this about sums up my misgivings of the sequel. 
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    There's been a rule in Hollywood for some years now that the villain has to be Anglo-American. (That's why, for instance, all three Iron Man movies have the same villain). It will be delicious if the Social Justices now make it blow up in Hollowood's face.

Tumblr wasn't exactly happy with it.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^ They should have let Ben Kingsley play Khan instead of SPOILER.

"Kingsley was born Krishna Pandit Bhanji in Snainton, North Riding of Yorkshire, near Scarborough. He is the son of Anna Lyna Mary (née Goodman), an actress and model who appeared in films in the 1920s and 1930s, and Rahimtulla Harji Bhanji, a medical doctor. Kingsley's father, born in Kenya, was of Gujarati Indian Ismaili Muslim Khoja descent."

How do you get a name like Krishna Pandit if your dad's a Muslim?

They might have had to make him look young or something...

Then again, the Romulans have been mucking up the timeline for like 25+ years at this point, that could have easily been used to explain the age difference.

Other than that, it would have made a ton more sense.
  • ^ They should have let Ben Kingsley play Khan instead of SPOILER
    He was already signed on for Iron Man 3.

I kinda doubt he was considered though, considering who they ended up with.
  • edited 2013-05-18 12:28:08
    Justice42 said:

They actually approached Benicio del Toro before they gave "that guy" the role. 

He turned it down, though. Mostly because of money.

Aishwarya Rai!

Anyone remember the version of the Merlin story where Kingsley played him and Rai was a Byzantine warrior woman?

• edited 2013-05-18 12:23:31
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    A female Indian genetically engineered world-conquering super(wo)man would actually be even more subversive, come to think of it.
    Khan did have some female followers, they didn't do much though
  • Genetic engineer me some glowing cats.
    It will happen one of these days.
    HOLY CRAP
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    So... adorable glowing AIDS-resistant kittens?

Meet your new gods, Internet.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Ah, the wonders of GFP.
  • Really, my biggest problem that I haven't discussed elsewhere is that

Someone looked at BC and said "yeah, this guy is a young Ricardo Montalaban."
    hmmm

vs

??
  • That is a really dorky jacket.
  • you know what weirds me out

how benedict cumberbatch is like hot sometimes and ugly other times and there is no in-between.

Justice42 said:

Shame, Another Latino playing an Indian would have been oddly hilarious and much better.

A female Indian genetically engineered world-conquering super(wo)man would actually be even more subversive, come to think of it.

Yeah...though it would have bugged me still for another reason 

Part of the issue here is that Star Trek wasn't officially "Reboot", they established all this as an offshoot of the original timeline. Kahn was born/created several hundred years before the offshoot, so they can't really make a "new Kahn" without undermining the a major plot point of the first film...

Which they did, of course. :/ 
    Yarrun said:

Really, my biggest problem that I haven't discussed elsewhere is that

Someone looked at BC and said "yeah, this guy is a young Ricardo Montalaban."

Yes quote...mostly for the reasons outline above.

They made a very, VERY earnest attempt to assemble actors to make good, young versions of the original crew. Why not Kahn?
  • edited 2013-05-19 01:17:15
    Justice42 said:

Shame, Another Latino playing an Indian would have been oddly hilarious and much better.
    Still, I find it hard to condemn them for that.

Yeah...though it would have bugged me still for another reason 

Part of the issue here is that Star Trek wasn't officially "Reboot", they established all this as an offshoot of the original timeline. Kahn was born/created several hundred years before the offshoot, so they can't really make a "new Kahn" without undermining the a major plot point of the first film...

Which they did, of course. :/ 

It's almost as if the producers care about being consistent with the origin-oh, wait.

Acererak said:

Justice42 said:

Still, I find it hard to condemn them for that.

I wouldn't have. I mean, the race would have been off, but I'd have given them points for reproducing an aspect of the original.
  • edited 2013-05-19 02:11:41
    I mean I find it hard to blame them for whitewashing, given that they originally intended for a Hispanic man to play Khan and couldn't cast him because of failed money negotiations.

And to be frank, Khan's race is the least of that movie's problems.
  • edited 2013-05-19 02:28:39
    I didn't like how sloppily Kirk's character arc was done. It felt really hasty and the resolution was hollow. The movie was about Kirk learning that the rules apply to him too and he ends it...by disobeying Scotty. You might as well have ended Brave by having Merida insinuate that her mother's curse wasn't her fault.

One thing I will grant was how Kirk learned gradually that his treatment of Spock was unfair, and how he apologized for it at the end. 

I also felt that Khan's inclusion was needless, and an excuse to use lazy WoK references in the place of meaningful content. 
  • Acererak said:

I also felt that Khan's inclusion was needless, and an excuse to use lazy WoK references in the place of meaningful content. 
    That was one of my fears when I first heard about Khan being in the sequel.
  • @OP: Are you Spock? Because yelling "KHAAAAAN!" isn't very logical.
  • Logics.
  • Yarrun said:

Acererak said:

That was one of my fears when I first heard about Khan being in the sequel.
    I assure you that your fear is completely founded.

Honestly, it would have been better to use "random genetically engineered person # 56" and save Kahn  for a later movie. That would have made it rather easy to "raise the stakes" and you'd still have gotten a dangerous villain out of this movie.

Also, I agree that Kirk's development was kind of strange. Especially because an early plot point was that Kahn took advantage of Starfleet regulations to plan an attack that ended in the death of numerous high ranking officials.

Speaking of which, what the HELL is up with earth? Apparently, it's VERY easy to fly random, ARMED ships, to military locations and just open fire and...just keep firing without any worry of the local authorities fighting back.

Want to cause a major act of terrorism? If you can commandeer a star ship, you can just crash it into the HQ of the whole Federation! No one will try to stop you! Apparently there isn't even any dudes sitting around just making sure random Star Ships don't come out of warp and start flying under impulse to the planet while one looks like something the cat dragged in and the other is rocked by massive explosions. It's OK though, it not like random star ships just showing up to cause major destruction was a major plot point of the last movie, or anything.

Also, apparently this is some sort of agreement with the Klingons to leave their Homeworld mostly unguarded save a handful of small crafts capable of taking out other small crafts. The movie makers seem to equate what happened with sending a task force to mostly empty Siberia to takes someone out when it'd be more like taking a Battleship up to the Russian ocean border, and sending a small landing craft to the slums of Mascow and hoping the Russians aren't paying attention to all the radar and various other methods for checking if someone parks a battleship right a few hundred miles off their coast. 

Don't get me started on the physics failures..
  • edited 2013-05-19 13:12:59

Also, I agree that Kirk's development was kind of strange. Especially because an early plot point was that Kahn took advantage of Starfleet regulations to plan an attack that ended in the death of numerous high ranking officials.

The entire movie seemed like it was indecisive about whether Kirk's recklessness was a good or a bad thing. One one hand, it almost got him reassigned and he ended up being a huge douche to Spock because of it, which was treated as a Not Good Thing. On the other hand, if he wasn't reckless at the end everyone would have died.

Speaking of which, what the HELL is up with earth? Apparently, it's VERY easy to fly random, ARMED ships, to military locations and just open fire and...just keep firing without any worry of the local authorities fighting back.

Didn't Khan have a super-advanced warp thingy that essentially let him go wherever he wanted without being detected?
  • Justice42 said:

Honestly, it would have been better to use "random genetically engineered person # 56" and save Kahn  for a later movie. That would have made it rather easy to "raise the stakes" and you'd still have gotten a dangerous villain out of this movie.

You know what would work? If they bullshitted something about this Khan not being the real Khan. It'd still be bad writing, yes, but it would solve infinitely more problems than it would create.

Justice42 said:

You know what would work? If they bullshitted something about this Khan not being the real Khan. It'd still be bad writing, yes, but it would solve infinitely more problems than it would create.

I've been thinking the same thing.

Didn't Khan have a super-advanced warp thingy that essentially let him go wherever he wanted without being detected?
    I would imagine this would only get him so far. Especially since the Enterprise DOESN'T have it. So even if they didn't detect the Dreadnought, one would think Earth sensors would have picked up a damaged Enterprise heading towards Earth and someone may have noticed that it wasn't responding to hailing. This is compounded by the fact that apparently BOTH ships got close enough to earth that when systems started failing, they where pulled in by Earth's gravity. 

• I've been thinking...this would have been a way better movie if they'd used Gary Mitchell as the villain. Khan's actor looks more like him than he does Khan, plus Mitchell was closer to Kirk in his cadet days, whereas Khan hadn't been revived yet in Kirk's cadet days in the original timeline, so I don't see why he was in this timeline. Plus, there's more unexplored backstory with Mitchell.
    how many of you have actually seen the episode with Gary Mitchell
  • I've actually never watched a full episode of Star Trek: TOS. I experienced the episode vicariously through an episode of Atop the Fourth Wall. I also read through wikipedia articles on the subject.

I know, I know, it's bad that the only reason that I care about the Star Trek movie is because of bad casting (and the fact that it's inside the Tumblr geekosphere).
  • I did like what I saw of Gary Mitchell from the aforementioned crossover comic. He seems like a good, threatening villain, and his superiority complex and godlike powers would be perfect for a Hollywood blockbuster.
  • Oh, and I have a good handle on the first five Star Trek movies through Wikipedia, internet videos and so forth. Except for the fourth one.
  • edited 2013-05-20 01:34:13
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Well, the episode in question ("Where No Man Has Gone Before", the second pilot) is one of the better TOS episodes I think. Not a bad watch if you can catch it sometime.

^but that's the funniest one!