The John Conway's Game of Life Agglomeration of the Heaper's Hangout

edited 2013-04-20 23:26:29 in General
Play it here.

Really interesting game. I play it when I'm bored at school.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    My dad used to have this on our computer, like maybe 20 years ago

I never quite got the point, back then
  • The Gosper Glider Gun remains a favorite.
  • edited 2013-04-20 23:36:16
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I stopped the Tumbler in the middle of the cycle and added two long tails to it.

The result is a lot of different patterns, the most notable of which being a spinning 3-square-long bar.

UPDATE: When the whole thing reaches equilibrium (at about generation 600), there are 6 of these spinning bars, 4 of which form a little ring.
  • I have a competitive version that I play with two of my friends at school.

You have three five by five grids and whoever has the most after three generations wins.

Also at the beginning you designate each of the three grids as attacking or defending, and if a grid attacks it has to target one of all your opponents' grids.

If it has a higher count of alive cells than the targeted grid(s), one of two things happens:
    1. If the target is defending, it is destroyed.
    2. If the target is attacking, it is destroyed and its alive cell count is added to yours.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I drew a little Space Invaders-style alien to see what would happen.

I got several 2x2 squares, two mirror images of the same pattern, a couple of nondescript blobs, and another spinning bar. I'm sensing a pattern here.
  • Some common patterns are on its Wikipedia page.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Ah, so it's called a Blinker. Good to know.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I messed around with this in ECE101 because matlab has the game of life built into it as an easter egg.

Really cool stuff. The glider guns are super cool.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    So, guys, the main resource for this game is GOLLY which can legally be downloaded for free, without any malware, spyware, viruses, or anything else. I made a serpinski triangle of ten iterations. It made an imperial star destroyer and a dozen or so glider guns. I don't think it ever stabilized before I got bored and turned it off.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Bump.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :D
  • I stopped the Tumbler in the middle of the cycle and added two long tails to it.

The result is a lot of different patterns, the most notable of which being a spinning 3-square-long bar.

UPDATE: When the whole thing reaches equilibrium (at about generation 600), there are 6 of these spinning bars, 4 of which form a little ring.
    Easiest way to get a little ring is five in a row.
  • kill living beings
    hashlife rules. golly rules even though it doesn't really use it much you can. #blazeit
  • I wonder if there are any patterns in the Day and Night automaton such that it would actually decrease runtime in hashlife by identifying a pattern with its inverse.