The Atheist's Heap Of Science And Superior Reason

edited 2013-04-19 13:02:12 in General
Last night, my aunt died. My parents asked me to attend her funeral, but I said NUH-UH. I'm not attending a Christian funeral, 'cos that would mean going to mass and listening to some dumbass talk about this fairy-tale "God". 

"God" doesn't exist, punks. He's nothing but an outdated fiction pretentious people cling to because they can't comprehend superior human reason. Laugh at me? Well, I'll be the one laughing when I die contented and you die questioning why your fairy tale "God" didn't take you to "Heaven". Suck it, plebs. My superior reason > any stupid make-believe Santa Claus for adults. 
Tagged:

Comments

• ^^ Yes, sort of. 
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Good...Goooood...

Now Attend a local Church event and put their activity ball on a hot stove and your transformation to the dark side will be complete.  
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Sam Harris

Sam Harris (born 1967) is the central figure of modern philosophy. His writings on ethics, the philosophy of religion, and the problem of free will have transformed the ways that undergraduates have conceived these and related subjects and, indeed, all subjects.1

Utilitarianism

Sam Harris argues that utilitarianism. Take that, Christians!

Religion

Sam Harris argues that atheism. Take that, Christians!

Free Will

Sam Harris once read a book about free will. Then he wrote one. Take that, Christians!

1 http://bnreview.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Reviews-Essays/The-Moral-Landscape/ba-p/3477

• That's nothing. Once I went in the middle of a chapel during a marriage and yelled "YOUR FALSE GOD CANNOT BIND TWO PEOPLE!".

They kicked me out afterwards and a lot of my "friends" wouldn't talk to me afterwards. I guess they can't see the power of HUMAN REASON
  • Utilitarianism

Sam Harris argues that utilitarianism. Take that, Christians!

Religion

Sam Harris argues that atheism. Take that, Christians!

Free Will

Sam Harris once read a book about free will. Then he wrote one. Take that, Christians!

basically
  • really though this thread is just awful
  • edited 2013-04-19 13:21:46
    Oh, he must be a nice chap to be around.

^How so?
  • it's bad and you should feel bad for making it

shame upon you and your descendants
  • You're just mad because I'm shattering your illusions about your false God!
  • edited 2013-04-19 13:25:32
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You not liking my religion doesn't make it any less awesome for me.

Besides, God doesn't have to abide by concepts such as reason.  He could exist and not-exist at the same time.  He doesn't have to make sense.
  • it's being

about

which is double image
  • it makes me want to stab people in the face
  • the existence of a book as awful as the DaVinci code proves that there is no god

Do imageimage

Make a 

?

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

"I'm a rationalist! That means I've realized that 'God' is a made-up emotional crutch for weaker minds. Just like my predecessors Descartes, Pascal, Leibniz...

... uh, damn. Can I start over?"

• god put me out of my misery
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, but even if you proved that God is nonexistent; that doesn't mean that He's not existent.  He could be existent and nonexistent at the same time.  He could exist despite truth; because He defines truth.

He's God.   He's limitless and omnificent and Omnipotent.
  • God is just kind of hard to explain. 
  • (*Agonized flailing*)
  • Odradek said:

OK, I admit. I laughed a bit. 

I kinda doubt whatever I read off the site is going to be better than this.
  • hey, personally, i might not believe in what they believe, but angryatheistcore has produced some wonderful music

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^ Hey, it's that thing Kafka woke up as.
  • sunn wolf said:

hey, personally, i might not believe in what they believe, but angryatheistcore has produced some wonderful music

oooh, neato
  • OK, I might as well tell you guys what's pissing me off.

So basically, someone really dear to a guy I know died. Since said someone was pretty Christian, they decided to give her Catholic rites and stuff. When some asshole atheists got wind of it, they started saying basically the most stereotypical strawman atheist shit ever. 

To think that someone could even be that callous pisses me off, frankly.
  • i went to see BATS live and they opened with

"Hi. We're BATS. We're from dublin. all of our songs are about science."

"and once we wrote a song about a dragon."

"well that was kind of about science too, chemistry vs. biology..."

and then they just launched into STEM CEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLS

"Scientism" isn't a real thing. It's just something that religionists have made up in order to justify a rejection of metaphysical naturalism and/or empiricism.

... both are words in English.

... you can't prove they're not true.

... you need faith to believe both of them.

... both are interconnected systems where any specific sentence in the system gains meaning from the relationships between the sentences in the system.

... induction.

... both are social institutions designed by the white heteronormative patriarchy to subjugate women, minorities, the LGBTQ community, animals, vegetarians, Italians, Buddhists, Gaia-worshippers, post-modernists, non-conformists, and Original Thinkers.

... both mean something independently of any individual belief.

... both contain the vowels 'e', 'i', and 'o'.

... both suppress dissent aka Galileo & Wakefield.

... both are true.

... both inhabit non-overlapping magisteria.

... both are incommensurable.

... both are equally probable.

... both predicted the end of the world in 2012.

... both say Jesus could have been resurrected through science.

... both say the Nazca lines were made by aliens.

... both say drinking red wine and eating fish is good for you.

... both would kill a small child for a Klondike bar.

... both like their sugar with coffee and cream.

... both were modifications of imperfect work by the Jews.

... both are full of child rapists.

... both hate gay people.

... aliens.

• ... both would kill a small child for a Klondike bar.

who wouldn't?
  • Odradek said:

... both are social institutions designed by the white heteronormative patriarchy to subjugate women, minorities, the LGBTQ community, animals, vegetarians, Italians, Buddhists, Gaia-worshippers, post-modernists, non-conformists, and Original Thinkers.

now hold on a second

Odradek said:

Italians, post-modernists,

• shit now i want some ice cream
  • also
    Odradek said:

... aliens.

• edited 2013-04-19 13:43:17

sunn wolf said:

Odradek said:

they are one and the same

... both like their sugar with coffee and cream.

Naney said:

sunn wolf said:

Odradek said:

they are one and the same
    Sometimes, they are Stalinists, like Domenico Losurdo
  • thousands of tumblr kiddies scouring their family trees and frantically buying up pynchon novels
    Odradek said:

"Scientism" isn't a real thing. It's just something that religionists have made up in order to justify a rejection of metaphysical naturalism and/or empiricism.

Because they know deep down that atheism is a logical consequence of empiricism.

Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius!

Ia! Ia Azathoth!

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    Mind if I interrupt this thread for a moment to agree with sunn and Naney that BATS is pretty awesome?

• i had not listened to BATS before this thread

i will be listening to them much more in the future
  • Naney said:

i had not listened to BATS before this thread

i will be listening to them much more in the future

good job, i only had to post about them continually on several sites for just about 4 years

though all sarcasm aside BATS basically just own and should have all of the fans they can get. especially since their record label just disintegrated a few months ago

• i think i had seen you mention them a few times before, but not more than that

w/e
  • im being facetious and dumb, basically i have just liked them for a long time and prolly posted them a couple of times max

you dont have to listen to every youtube i post (but it will make you a better and more well rounded person if you do)

• edited 2013-04-19 17:43:35

i listen to every youtube embed i see unless i'm like in the middle of an album.