Philosophical/sociological discussion...

edited 2013-04-15 23:33:32 in General
Do you think society at large has the idea that with X gain in skill, comes X loss in inherent value? That is to say, if a person gains a skill, they become valued only for that skill, and no longer in and of themselves?

For instance, the trope Men Are The Expendable Gender could be seen this way. Once a boy grows up and gains the physical strength of a man, he becomes valued for his strength, but loses the inherent value he was seen to have as a boy. Another example would be how people say things about frail elderly people that they'd never say about babies. Once you grow up, you're supposed to be valued for being useful, not just for being you, as you were as a kid.

Another example could be how people usually define themselves before and after a job or hobby. Before a person gets their first job, they don't see themself as lost in any way for not having a job. But often, someone who loses a job will have a bit of an identity crisis. This can also be the case for someone who is "beaten at their own game" in a hobby, or loses the ability to participate in it. They might wonder who they are because of it.

What do you think? Agree or disagree that society at large sees things this way?

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I would say that the idea that men are expendable in fiction is more rooted in the somewhat sexist use of men as the "default" gender or perspective. When something is the mode, that which differs from it gains importance in one way or another. Women become "more important" because they are considered a deviation from the norm, so their deaths are given more weight in certain circumstances.

Individual traits devaluing the whole, however, is most certainly a thing that effects both genders quite negatively. Beauty and strength so often devalue intellect and skill in the eyes of others, while a particular noticeable skill might distract from other, less prominent talents that are just as rare or valuable.
  • Before a person gets their first job, they don't see themself as lost in any way for not having a job.

How can you actually measure the validity of a statement like this, a lot of people young and growing into adults are stressed because they don't know what direction they want their life to go in, heck even a lot of adults feel lost when it comes to what their life to be like.

I disagree with this statement.
    I don't see myself as lost not having a job; I see myself as lost not occupying myself intellectually. That being said, I agree with Clocky here that it is too much of a generalisation. A lot of people feel that way, but a lot of them feel differently.
  • Personally, I struggle with the notion of inherent value to begin with. I know, intellectually, that people probably have some inherent value, but there seems to be a strong agreement that attempts to build self-esteem on that are somewhat morally wrong. Things like Cracked articles, and complaints about the sense of "entitlement" the current generation supposedly has, persuaded me that one should think of oneself mainly for what one does, not for what s/he is.

It's not that people do not have inherent value - rather, it seems that they are only allowed to have it in addition to being good at something. That using inherent worth to justify oneself if one does not have any achievements is making excuses and generally being lazy, obnoxious and entitled.

Also, I think that you are definitely onto something when saying that inherent worth seems to be negatively related to "worth for doing something". However, I don't think that it is a matter of skill. Rather, an assumed capability.

• Beholder said:

Personally, I struggle with the notion of inherent value to begin with. I know, intellectually, that people probably have some inherent value, but there seems to be a strong agreement that attempts to build self-esteem on that are somewhat morally wrong. Things like Cracked articles, and complaints about the sense of "entitlement" the current generation supposedly has, persuaded me that one should think of oneself mainly for what one does, not for what s/he is.

It's not that people do not have inherent value - rather, it seems that they are only allowed to have it in addition to being good at something. That using inherent worth to justify oneself if one does not have any achievements is making excuses and generally being lazy, obnoxious and entitled.

Also, I think that you are definitely onto something when saying that inherent worth seems to be negatively related to "worth for doing something". However, I don't think that it is a matter of skill. Rather, an assumed capability.

The way I interpreted that statement was for the "potential" of value.

Like people tell children they can be anything, but then after a job or two and after college classes, you'd never see anyone tell an adult that they could be whatever the wanted, just that they should be complacent in their position in life.
  • edited 2013-04-16 18:20:32
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

I would say that the idea that men are expendable in fiction is more rooted in the somewhat sexist use of men as the "default" gender or perspective. When something is the mode, that which differs from it gains importance in one way or another. Women become "more important" because they are considered a deviation from the norm, so their deaths are given more weight in certain circumstances.

This could have something to do with it, but if so, I really don't think that's the only reason. Isn't the traditional male gender role having to do the dangerous physical work so that women don't have to put themselves at risk? It shouldn't be unreasonable to conclude that people would think of men's deaths (both in real life and fiction) as more acceptable than women's because of this.
    But isn't that from the same source, ultimately? Either way, it is about making men active agents and women passive agents. In a way, it is dehumanising.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I would disagree. The first idea seems to me to imply that this is only hurtful towards women, whereas the second seems to portray it (more accurately, in my opinion) that it's hurtful to both genders. In fact, if I may be bold, it's likely to be more hurtful to men because they're the ones putting life and limb at risk because of this tradition.
    Oh, I never meant to imply that it was not harmful to both sexes. It most certainly is. I simply believe that the root cause of it has a lot to do with a kind of objectification, albeit a kind that is ultimately perhaps more detrimental to the objectifier.
  • edited 2013-04-16 18:34:33
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Men do, women are. Men are actors, women are objects.
  • I would disagree. The first idea seems to me to imply that this is only hurtful towards women, whereas the second seems to portray it (more accurately, in my opinion) that it's hurtful to both genders. In fact, if I may be bold, it's likely to be more hurtful to men because they're the ones putting life and limb at risk because of this tradition.

If men are putting their life at risk, wouldn't it be because they have the agency to put their life at risk.

In the same way that slave were not believed to be full people capable of making decisions regarding their own lives, this is how women were regarded as well. not that they were treated as badly or put in conditions like slaves were, but their actions were merely seen as extensions of those with control over their own lives. and this just had the unfortunate effect of making the lose of lives of those who had the agency to fight with them skew heavily towards males.

• edited 2013-04-16 18:35:12
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I hope I don't have to specify that I am being sarcastic! :)
    Ray, the fact that you make me look chill about this issue makes the sarcasm almost too obvious.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    mmmmm ok :3
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Cynicalclock: I see your point, but I have a bit of an odd viewpoint on this issue. Personally, I think it would be preferable not to have full agency and executive power but be much safer, rather than to have those things and risk either being dead or permanently and severely injured.

Of course, I'm not trying to argue that things shouldn't be equal for both genders. That would be ridiculous. I just don't think this situation is as clear-cut as we'd like it to be.
  • edited 2013-04-16 18:46:55
    If I would choose agency and danger over having no voice and being married off to someone I don't know at age 13 where I will create children and clean the house until I die, but that is just me. :)
    I think I see where we're coming into conflict here. You're thinking of how women lived in the past of Western society (and unfortunately in the present of some Eastern societies), which is certainly not desirable. I'm looking at it from the perspective of modern Western society, in which while women still have some disadvantages, it's a vast improvement over what it was.
  • edited 2013-04-16 19:01:30
    Men have had vast improvements too.
  • I think I see where we're coming into conflict here. You're thinking of how women lived in the past of Western society (and unfortunately in the present of some Eastern societies), which is certainly not desirable. I'm looking at it from the perspective of modern Western society, in which while women still have some disadvantages, it's a vast improvement over what it was.

This is not meant to be a jab at you ProfessorGator, but I just want to express, that too often I have seen people try to dismiss the concerns of Women and people of different sexualities because their wellbeing here was better off than in other places.

A sort of "grass is greener" thing, in that because of the better living conditions and opportunities presented to them HERE, all the inequalities they face shouldn't be discussed.

I say this because you use the phrase "It's a vast improvement over what it was"(in terms of how women lived in the past) and this is the thought that comes to mind.
  • edited 2013-04-16 19:16:14
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    ^^True, but they also have some disadvantages, and some surprisingly big ones at that.

(pre-emptive tw:rape)

I found some research papers recently saying something that really surprised me. Apparently, domestic abuse and rape happen almost equally as often for both genders (for example, look at the numbers on "forced penetration" in the table on page 19 and compare it to the numbers on "forced to penetrate" on page 20). However, female victims get much more support.

Now, I know what you're probably thinking: What about the victims who get blamed by others because they did something to make their husband mad or dressed too skimpily? It would be foolish of me to say that never happens. However, I don't think that attitude is quite as prevalent as we think. Rape and domestic abuse are still considered very serious crimes (and rightly so), and for the most part, its perpetrators are very much looked down upon.

But if the victim is male, it seems that he's expected to just deal with it on his own, or that he's unmanly for letting it happen. Now, one might say that "umanly" means "feminine" in this case and thus reflective of sexism against women, but I think that would be distracting from the issue that male victims aren't getting the support they need.
    Cynicalclock: I apologize if I came across as dismissive. That wasn't my intent, and I don't think unfair discrimination against women is something that should continue to happen. I just wanted to try and see where our perspectives were clashing.

And I certainly wouldn't be dismissive of the issues that gay and transpeople face. It's no picnic to be them anywhere in the world.
  • well the reason they're not getting the support they need is specifically because the victim of woman-on-male rape or male-on-male rape is seen as "unmanly" and feminine and what have you.

It's an issue within a larger group of issues, essentially.

It's an issue within a larger group of issues, essentially.

That is indeed true.
  • I am not sure if the main point of the question was specifically gender issues. I think the point was that agency, capability and achievements are what's valued, and people are allowed to fall back to "inherent value" only when society thinks that they have nothing else to offer (children, seriously ill, disabled, in some cases, women)
  • Beholder said:

I am not sure if the main point of the question was specifically gender issues. I think the point was that agency, capability and achievements are what's valued, and people are allowed to fall back to "inherent value" only when society thinks that they have nothing else to offer (children, seriously ill, disabled, in some cases, women)

Yeah, but the derail isn't technically hurting anyone, now is it?

• edited 2013-04-17 20:09:58
    I feel like I need to clarify something I said yesterday. I said "distracting from the issue" in my megapost because I've seen some people say that women are more hurt by male rape and abuse victims getting little support because their gender role is seen in a negative light. I think that would be an insensitive thing to say to someone who's gone through such a painful experience. However, none of us actually said that, so it didn't really make any sense in context.

And for the record, I don't identify with either the feminist or MRA movements. Personally, I think we've reached a point in our society where we need to carefully look at the issues that both genders face in order to achieve true equality.

Also, both movements have people who get all the attention giving the more reasonable people in it a bad name (yes, for the latter they do exist, though the usually identify as egalitarians instead). I'm sure we're all familiar with the basement-dwelling losers from the bowels of Reddit who wear horribly mismatched clothing and are mad because they can't get dates. But on the other end of the spectrum, we have perpetually enraged people from the bowels of Tumblr who tell everyone who disagrees with them even in a minor way to commit suicide in creative ways. I'm not sure I want to associate with either of these people.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    At this point, "feminism" is basically an all-encompassing movement for human equality, since it is closely associated with LGBT and race advocacy and all of it is forming this great, unstoppable, wonderful beast. :D Also *real* feminists think men should be treated just like women, and vice versa, so "mra"s or whatever can still be feminist.
    So I've heard, but on the whole, they still specialize in women's issues. Which is not a bad thing in and of itself. Science wouldn't have gotten where it is now if people didn't specialize, and I imagine social issues are much the same. However, people who specialize in other areas are necessary too.
    What Ray said. I identify pretty strongly as a feminist, but that is simply because I think that the unfairness of the system slants disproportionately against women, particularly outside of the Western world. To rectify the issues with the rights of women is necessary to rectify the issues that face men, and so forth. It is all about levelling the playing field.
  • Honestly when it comes down to it, calling yourself a feminist or not is mostly a matter of semantics. "Feminism" is hardly an organized movement and feminists disagree over many, many things. Believing in the equality of all human beings is more important than whatever *ism you align yourself with.
  • edited 2013-04-17 22:10:38
    I realize that there are quite a few issues outside of the Western world, but I don't have the right perspective or knowledge of the cultures involved to really comment on them. That's why I stick to the culture I live in and know more about. It's admittedly a bit short-sighted, but I'm much less likely to make a mistake that would be insensitive toward someone else's culture.

Also, what Mojave said.
    Feminism has a consistent set of beliefs in general, I think, with the major differences being between the "waves:" for example, third-wave (current) feminism has some beliefs in contrast to second-wave feminism, particularly with regards to views on porn and sex work.
    Funny you should mention the different "waves" of feminism. I've seen some feminists identify as fourth-wave, and their goal is to take a more active role in addressing the movement's shortcomings. Their main emphasis includes supporting studies with good research methods, more acceptance of transpeople (as a reaction to people like the British newspaper writer who called transwomen "bedwetting crybaby chicks with dicks"), and more inclusion of men's issues in their discussions. Those are the feminists I tend to agree with the most.
  • edited 2013-04-22 17:59:08
    It's time for round 4 of Gator attempts to discuss gender roles.

I saw a couple of posts on my Tumblr dashboard today about the wage gap, and it reminded me of a theory concerning it that I think makes a lot of sense. I hope it makes sense to all of you too (even if it doesn't help my probable reputation as what the old country would call a Commander Contrarian on this subject).

Basically, the term "wage gap" is misleading because it's not the wages themselves that are the key factor. It's the amount of unpaid time taken off work. Apparently, women in the US take significantly more unpaid time off than men. Now if you're the type that's cynical about the internet and are worried that this is leading up to durr hurr its cuz their lazy and stoopid durr hurr, let me assure you that this is far from the case.

What's happening is an effect of the social pressure on women to stay home and take care of the family. However, women in careers are also faced with the conflicting pressure of staying at work, making money, and being successful. As a result, a lot of people try to split the difference and take time off to stay home and fulfill what they see as a social obligation. This leads to the total amount of money a woman makes in a year being less than the total amount a man makes.
  • LWLW
    edited 2013-04-22 23:00:10

ProfessorGator,
    From what I can tell, your theory about the "wage gap" is not an unpopular one. To sort of back that up, I have heard that countries with the highest degree of female employment (e.g., Sweden) happen to have universal, inexpensive day care, maternity leave protections, and social insurance policies that do not penalize people for withdrawing from employment from time to time. They also have more government care for the elderly and those with disabilities, which some say would otherwise disproportionately be provided by female relatives.

I think there are probably other obstacles related to gender besides just social pressures though and I am not about to suggest that every country become a Sweden clone. Honestly, I do not really know much about this subject, but it seems like the problem is pretty complicated since people ideally want to close the "wage gap"  without being patronizing to women or men who do not subscribe to traditional gender roles. I guess you sort of encounter the same problem that anyone who talks about "women's issues" does.
  • edited 2013-04-23 11:39:43
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    They also have payed paternity leave in many of those countries, thus allowing men to help their significant others with taking care of the infant without having to worry about losing income or standing. It's just a much more pragmatic, much fairer way of doing business.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Remember, this is your enemy: the Patriarchy.image

• I bet i could take em in a fair fight
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    holy shit it's ZZ Top
    The Greek Orthodox Church is actually pretty chill. It's the Russian and Serbian ones that you have to watch out for. Scary peeps.
  • As a Russian, I agree. Russian Orthodox Church is dangerously close to becoming a state religion in all but name, crazily possessive, and way too nationalistic. And definitely not fun
    So I have heard. The Serbian Orthodox Church is much the same way, if not worse, to the point that they have lobbied against Kosovo's independence for basically the sole purpose of claiming most of the region as church land. It's pretty frightening stuff.
  • It seems to be the problem of national Orthodox churches in general. Namely, their possessiveness. They identify closely with the nation, do not particularly care for other places but regard everyone in their nation as their by right.