Dungeoncrawler's Academy -- Discussion

Comments

• Things like that depend on what exactly is being done.

Venom's mutation magic school relies mostly on giving the caster some sort of offensive weapon at the cost of being much less spell-capable, but even then almost all of said weapons are venom-based.

• I need to PM Schitzo and Counterclock to see if they're still interested. Neither's posted yet.

Nor has Funnyguts, but I know her situation already.

• edited 2013-05-01 22:41:03
    Ica, Nathan's referring to schools of magic, right? Or am I horribly misinterpreting that statement?
  • I think he is.

Also I should really note that your team will absolutely have to learn to work together if you're going to make any significant progress. I don't plan on pulling any punches here.

• how dare she have a hat when I don't.

today on When Shit Gets Real

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    dm: eyup
  • Alright, just wasn't completely sure. :V
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Better pose as a team, then.
  • I need to PM Schitzo and Counterclock to see if they're still interested. Neither's posted yet.

Nor has Funnyguts, but I know her situation already.

Technically, I did post, in the way of my character being smug and dismissive, which alternatively means my character thinks little of interacting with the other students because preconceived inferiority.
  • I must've missed that.

whoops.

also Sredni can you cease with the antics for now, I'm on the last spell list (except Funnyguts', but I'm assuming at this point that she's no longer interested. If I turn out to be wrong, I'll let her join up later), so we'll be getting into the actual Dungeon soon.

on that note, Ica please check your inbox, I need to check something with you.

• edited 2013-05-01 23:11:18
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Kenneth needs to be distracted by a proverbial shiny thing before the antics cease. The faster we leave, the less creepy this will get.

And no, I don't say that to be obnoxious. It's a statement of fact. This character is easily amused. Dungeons are more amusing than people. Mostly.
  • I have to say that while I'm not particularly opposed to your character being quote-unquote "creepy", I really am not going to put up with deliberately antagonizing your teammates to the level of essentially attacking them. Which is basically what he's doing right now.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Oh, he's only antagonising N.

Strictly speaking. That "cruel thought" isn't going to become relevant any time soon.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    If he keeps it up, does it mean Rocks Fall Everyone But Him Lives?
  • It seemed pretty clear to me that he was about to do "something" to Belighor.

I apologize if I seem overzealous, but I prefer to set limits on this sort of character behavior before it gets out of hand, rather than making you have to backpeddle later.

Icalasari said:

If he keeps it up, does it mean Rocks Fall Everyone But Him Lives?

The Academy is pretty tolerant of "eccentric" students, but actually inflicting harm is enough to get one expelled, if not arrested.
  • edited 2013-05-01 23:14:51
    ^^ That would actually be kind of funny.

^ Eventually. It's not an obvious thing.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Heh. Just popping in to say that this is rather quite interesting so far.
  • ^ Eventually. It's not an obvious thing.

No, see this is what I mean.

Psychologically torturing your fellow players' PCs over extended periods of time, regardless of the subtlety of doing so, is not okay, and is not going to be tolerated.

I don't care as much for N., because he and Kenneth are on roughly the same intellectual level and make good foils for each other, but it's not something you're going to be doing to everybody, and it's certainly not going to last.

again, I apologize if I seem overzealous, but playing like this over the long term ruins games. I've had it happen before.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Still wondering about "friendly" fire in the dungeons

Psychologically torturing your fellow players' PCs over extended periods of time, regardless of the subtlety of doing so, is not okay, and is not going to be tolerated.

I don't care as much for N., because he and Kenneth are on roughly the same intellectual level and make good foils for each other, but it's not something you're going to be doing to everybody, and it's certainly not going to last.

again, I apologize if I seem overzealous, but playing like this over the long term ruins games. I've had it happen before.

I understand completely. I will attempt to keep the nastiness to a minimum.

Granted, I wasn't even certain that I wanted to follow up on said thing; hence why I thought that it was worth telegraphing ahead of time: If I chose to abort it, I could simply say that he changed his mind. Which would be perfectly in character, really.
  • Icalasari said:

Still wondering about "friendly" fire in the dungeons

Deliberately attacking others in the dungeon is also a no-go. Your bluestone rings have more than one function. 

I understand completely. I will attempt to keep the nastiness to a minimum.

I will appreciate your doing so.

Anyway, I've almost got Ica's spell list and stat sheet finished, so I'm going to go ahead and bring our lovely Professor back in, who will shoo you into the Dungeon.

• Ica, I think you may have mistyped in your last post.
  • So, there's no way to trick the Bluestone rings? Like casting an Area-Of-Effect spell a little bit too close to another PC?

Not that that was an idea. Just need to know whether or not I should rewrite that 'friendly fire' part.
  • if it's a genuine accident, that's one thing. If it's intentional, the ring will know.

There's no way you can game the system. Sorry.

The only thing I could think of is if you somehow used a very strong burst of Antimagic to shut off the ring entirely, but that would also strand you in the Dungeon.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    No mistype. "Being a witch is extremely helpful. We [wizards] have to rely on potions"
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Also, couldn't we stash our ring somewhere out of range, attack a student, then grab it again?
  • Icalasari said:

Also, couldn't we stash our ring somewhere out of range, attack a student, then grab it again?

No. The rings are irremovable once you're in the Dungeon, and only come off when outside of it (incidentally, this means you only have nine ring slots, but you won't really be finding many rings anyway).
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    And I'm guessing it's impossible to enter the dungeon without the ring on...
  • Icalasari said:

And I'm guessing it's impossible to enter the dungeon without the ring on...

Quite.

Doing so would be suicidal anyway.

This is horribly inconvenient, I know, but I am utterly exhausted and verging on the brain-dead over here (hence my increasingly stupid decisions). I need to go to sleep.

Will anyone object violently to this?
  • The first floor is smallish and is going to be something of a tutorial (for me as much as you, I have no idea how effective this combat system even is). 

This is horribly inconvenient, I know, but I am utterly exhausted and verging on the brain-dead over here (hence my increasingly stupid decisions). I need to go to sleep.

Will anyone object violently to this?
    I would prefer if you at least went into the Dungeon. I can shuffle your turn order to last, though.
  • Yeah, I have a final in the morning. I've been stalling on the studying because of a number of things, but I really should review before I go to bed.
  • That's fine I suppose.

Gives me more time to fine-tune some last minute things.

• edited 2013-05-01 23:58:34
    ^^^ That would suffice.
  • Also I'll be out for most of the day tomorrow, but tomorrow night thereabouts we can really get rolling in a proper sense.

Sounds fair. Goodnight, all.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I'm still on so o.o
  • El'Ruz the Chiaroscuro is the patron deity of both Light and Shadow magics.

And since I feel now would be a good time, if any of you have any worldbuilding-related questions you're curious about, ask away.

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I know I'm not a part of this, but I hope you don't mind if I ask something anyway.

What kind of stuff can light magic do? I mean, yeah, the basics are illusions, but how complex can they get? Would you be able to, at extremely high proficiency, be able to trap someone in an entirely illusionary world? Perhaps make illusions that actually physically hurt people because their mind makes it real?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    How the HECK does anybody know the exact floor the guy vanished on?
  • The former is actually way, way more complex than the latter. For the former, you'd probably need an entire cabal of witches or wizards, rather than just one or two, and it would need to be carefully maintained over a long period.

The latter's actually much simpler since Light can already do damage, at that point it's just a matter of merging the illusion with the damaging component.

Icalasari said:

How the HECK does anybody know the exact floor the guy vanished on?

Because that's the last floor of the Dungeon which is mapped at all. Below that, there's just not anything.

I will cop to not having all the specifics of this mapped out yet, so depending on how long it ends up taking y'all to clear a floor, I may have to retcon it to there being less (or even more). 

I do know what the first 20 floors will be like, thematically. And I have the maps for the first two drawn up and labeled.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    How does anybody know that that isn't just the final floor and he left from there on new journeys/was eaten by a grue?
  • I suppose technically that no one does, but since making it that far has not been achieved since, no one's entirely sure.

They know that's the last floor he was on for certain. Beyond that, it's all mysteries.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Why does the dungeoncrawler's academy only allow magic users? Fighters, Knights, etc. also crawl dungeons, do they not?
  • In theory.

In practice, pure fighters tend to get themselves killed pretty quickly unless they get lucky with magical equipment. It should really be noted that most people in this setting dabble with magic at least a little bit, so those few unfortunate enough to have to be "just" fighters etc. are usually not very smart. Most warriors become Skalds.

The reason the Academy doesn't allow faith-based magic users (Clerics, Priests, and so on) excepting Minister Herlothe in the Student's Chapel is just because of a sort of elitism. Faith Magic is primitive and poorly understood, while arcane magic is very fine-tuned and generally well-understood.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Does every school of magic have a forbidden class of magic? What ARE all of the forbidden classes, and which schools of magic are they under?
  • Icalasari said:

Does every school of magic have a forbidden class of magic?

Forbidden Magics are their own schools.

Icalasari said:

What ARE all of the forbidden classes, and which schools of magic are they under?

I am too lazy to go get my list, but off the top of my head: Blood Magic, Antimagic (Except in certain circumstances), Necromancy, Hellbinding, Chaos Magic, Primal Magic, and Ritual Magic.

I think that's all of them.

• So, what's the deal with the Moon Trolls anyways?

Are they just a thing that everybody knows about, or are they this recent discovery that magiscience is still trying to figure out?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Could you explain those last four? ESPECIALLY Hellbinding as that one kind of confuses me