IJBM: Bugs

edited 2013-04-01 01:40:32 in General
They are always getting in the way and

...Well fuck you too, style changes

Nah I didn't fall for it

Or did I?

Nope

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    It amused me, though I remember what day it was...or will be in my case right away.
  • It actually took me a few minutes to remember what day it was.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • LWLW
    edited 2013-04-01 18:47:14

While this might not be a major change, I feel like it was actually more effective because of its relative subtlety. This might sound pretty dumb, but the links to IJBM II and HH are near each other in my bookmarks, so I kept thinking I accidentally clicked on the wrong one when a tab popped up with the name of the other site.

Also, is it true that heapers generally dislike IJBM's color scheme and if so why might that be?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I wasn't aware Heaper's not liking the color scheme was a thing, but I do prefer blue to these earth tones.
  • IJBM seems to think that all of us hate them.

Which, to be fair, is quite possibly true.

• edited 2013-04-01 18:31:23
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    stfu Harry or I'm going to cast a spell on you (¯Ɛ¯ )
  • edited 2013-04-01 18:57:33

IJBM is just like intensely boring

their site being fugly doesn't help :P
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    this color scheme looks like, I dunno, a couch from the 70s or something.
  • LWLW
    edited 2013-04-01 19:07:08

Sorry if that last post sounded kind of harsh. It turns out that a number of IJBMers expressed their distaste for HH's color scheme, so I guess there is a reciprocal feeling or something.

Personally I do not really understand why there would be any animosity between IJBM and HH, at least in part because it seems like there is a pretty substantial userbase overlap. Perhaps it is less about strong negative opinions of one site or the other and more about personal preferences.
  • LouieUU said:

Perhaps it is less about strong negative opinions of one site or the other and more about personal preferences.

yeah
  • I don't think it's about the sites but just about the color schemes, and that has depended in large part on what people have or haven't been used to.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't like IJBM but i'm fine with the colour scheme.

Definitely prefer the HH logo though.
  • Just curious, what don't you like about IJBM?

(Please, feel free to speak your mind; if there's anything I'm judging it's the site I help run, and not you.)
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I like the default blue and white the best but no one uses that. (-。ー;)
  • I used to use that over on the forum for our puzzle-solving team, though I swtiched it to the "Big City" (typical IJBM) theme after a while because the bright blue everywhere was a bit irritating.
  • P.S, A city that trades in fine wine should at least have proper educational facilities first, unless of course you're a city that deals in emotional dealings rather than any attempt to prosper past an age of rocks and stone.

Sense, and making and Doctor Who.
  • edited 2013-04-01 20:45:05

I can't quite nail it down, but for one thing it's definitely retained something closer to the feel that Yack Fest and to some degree the old IJBM have or had, albeit it is a definite improvement from said places. Nonetheless, there are a lot of negative feelings associated with things that happened at those fora for some of us, and so that kinda caries over to some degree. 

Also i think it's useful to compare what media the two groups tend to discuss more often.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    This place has had its low points...
  • this place has had some stupid shit yeah, which has tended to revolve around certain posters doing certain things
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm not exactly sure what i dislike about IJBM, other than that every time i've been there recently it struck me as really terrible, mostly from people being dicks to one another or just saying things that irritated the hell out of me.

But honestly it's some combination of not liking the site culture and having uncomfortable and embarrassing memories of when i posted there, i think.  Don't think i've any useful criticism to give, sorry.

i liked Vanilla Blue, but lately i associate it with stuff going wrong because that's when i most often see it.
  • edited 2013-04-01 20:47:38
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^ I wonder.
  • This place has had its low points...

In order for this to be true, it would have to have risen to a point higher than what it started at.

• This place has had its low points...

In order for this to be true, it would have to have risen to a point higher than what it started at.

I don't think graphs work that way...?
  • spoiler alert it's not a forum it was a graph all along

but seriously both IJBM II and this place seem a significant step up from the TVT forums, and I think moderators and users on both fora have done a fantastic job of building stable and enjoyable communities in both places
  • Naney said:

spoiler alert it's not a forum it was a graph all along

but seriously both IJBM II and this place seem a significant step up from the TVT forums, and I think moderators and users on both fora have done a fantastic job of building stable and enjoyable communities in both places
    Oh, in relation to TVT forums, well sure. but you're not setting the bar too high with that kind of comparison.

What next, Heaper's Hangout is better than a slightly on-fire car? I'm here all weak people.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My only real problem with IJBM is that a lot of what's discussed there tends not to interest me. Not that this place is exactly a hive of interestingness, but at least here I'm kinda more comfortable just saying whatever's on my mind, since it tends to be anorak stuff or pure silliness.

Also, what little on IJBM does interest me is kinda infuriating to discuss, because it's usually user interface or such things where everybody (myself included) assumes that their opinion is somehow self-evident.
  • edited 2013-04-01 20:56:01

^ ^ Touche

^ I think you hit the nail on the head here
  • edited 2013-04-01 21:00:47
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i should maybe add that i dislike most forums in any case.  i like this one but that's because i have friends here and somehow it feels less inhibiting than most other sites.

But yes, the IJBM moderation is much better than it was on TVT, i can't deny that.
  • I can deny a lot of things, I live in egypt after all!
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    land of the nile, eh?
  • IJBM's biggest problem is being constantly stuck in debate mode. No one there can ever just talk about anything.

Another issue is that conversation there really only tends to revolve around a handful of subjects, most of which I don't find interesting, and the ones I do find interesting (game design for instance) are hampered by the above.

I also feel like IJBM tends to bring up old TVTropes shit way more often than we do, for some reason.

Also politeness is a foreign concept to a significant chunk of the userbase, I don't know if that's deliberate on their part or not, but it's certainly annoying.

• there does seem to be some rube going on there yeah i'll admit

that rube is a typo but i thought it was funny so im leaving it in
  • I don't know what the original word was supposed to be.
  • maybe they'd be less cantankerous if they commissioned a sweet new logo from the tredude
  • Remember, the internet is all about inclusive exclusion, so round up all your like-minded open minded friends, so we can close our doors to new ideas and turn our heads and noses away, like pointy noised bureaucrats when it comes to any kind of reform.
  • Cynicalclock meanwhile, will continue living up to the first part of her username.
  • edited 2013-04-02 01:09:58
    To be honest, I agree that sometimes the topics at IJBM feel a bit limited.

So I try to spice things up with some more variety!  And you should too!  Because you never know, you might just find someone who enjoys talking about a topic that you didn't think anyone would be interesting.  Besides, the best way to get people talk about something is to start talking about it yourself.
  • I love IJBM2. I have found no inherent problems with it. It's a bit higher on the acridity side of things, so people with easily dissolvable self-esteems and have little resistance to acridity shouldn't go there....because they're easily trolled soft-handed pussies. </troll>

Like, discussion on here is easy, albeit meaningless. It's like, the Level 1 of forums, while on IJBM2 you had to really earn everyone's acceptance and try to convey your opinions for people to like them. Not only that, IJBM2 survived tnu, Chagen, Shichibukai, Jim Profit AND SotiKoto. Considering it's size, you would think being hit with enough of those people that the forum would lose all of it's followers. They prevailed however, which was the great thing about it.

When they first started off, they gave chagen CHANCES. They were SCARED of Something Awful's negative opinions. Eventually though, they evolved, and through time they started to become a stronger forum. Eventually they became extremely valuable on this node of the forum community.
    But now I want to level up and be able to find ijbm interesting. :<

(lol this place really is dead tho)
    Wait the only reason I hang out here is because I want a place where I can spew nonsense and get reactions and also this is like the same lunch table from tv tropes >_<
  • edited 2013-04-02 01:33:42

this place has been really dead all day

lots of the regulars on IJBM II are like peeps i thought were like OK, but i never really talked to much or had anything in common with

so i don't really have incentive to post there
  • edited 2013-04-02 01:33:27
    well wait this forum has cool stuff I guess, and also my beloved imi clings to it forever and ever and ever and ever :p
    His post count is 21,704. :)
  • this forum has me

and i've noticed that whenever i find cool stuff happening, i'm around.

Coincidence?

I think not.
  • edited 2013-04-02 01:35:37
    > Wait the only reason I hang out here is because I want a place where I
    can spew nonsense and get reactions and also this is like the same lunch
    table from tv tropes >_<

Haha yeah.

Originally the Wonderful Posts category on IJBM was for, well, wonderposting.

But then this forum kinda took up the wonderposting niche, and that category is now used for the occasional joke thread or snowclone.

Definitely is fun to snowclone like a boss and shitpost with wild abandon here, though.

> lots of the regulars on IJBM are like peeps i
    thought were like OK, but i never really talked to much or had anything
    in common with

And this is why I'd like a greater variety of topics on IJBM.