Anita Sarkeesian

edited 2013-03-10 20:26:09 in General
Just making an extra thread for her and the things she does. That way, we don't have to clog up the tumblr thread next time she posts a video.

Comments

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

...Will any of us care about her once her new video is posted?

Sounds like she didn't promise a whole lot, and people gave her money anyways and maybe she's just not super great at what she does.

Mystery solved?

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Some people gave her money and they got exactly what they asked for.

Whether her videos are good or not, she made some serious bank.

/topic
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, from what I've heard and what little I've seen of here, the Nostalgia Chick does pretty much the same thing and is a lot more entertaining about it.
  • She's at least done one good thing: piss off Redditors.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    ...Is that hard?
  • I realize it's not intentional but I would appreciate not being lumped in with r/mensrights 
  • edited 2013-03-11 03:34:35
    ^Eh, personally, I try to take it one game at a time, Wreck-It Ralph references aside. Then again, I just beat FarCry 3 and I plan on moving onto 2, so...

I dunno, I am a guy who does like violent games, though some bits of FarCry 3 were suitably uncomfortable, which I believe was the intended effect. /digression
  • edited 2013-03-11 03:46:02
    Eh EDIT: I should clarify that, while I like violent games, I also don't want to be seen as "that guy" and/or be lumped in with the (stero/arche)typical Redditor.

And I say that because I love both silly violent games like Serious Sam, Just Cause 2, and TF2, but I also like games like Spec Ops: The Line and FarCry where they have something important to say.
  • edited 2013-03-11 03:50:41
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ...i don't see anyone lumping everyone who likes violent games in with stereotypical redditors.

Nobody even brought up violent games.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think Roland misunderstood Mojave's post...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    While I have mixed feelings about Sarkeesian's overall position on media and sexism, I do look forward to her next video, if only to see if she manages to rectify the issues of the first.

That is all.
  • edited 2013-03-11 04:55:10
    ^^I might have, admittedly, but I do wonder what others would think of me if they knew I played a buncha bloody shooters.

I mean, hell, to keep it on-topic, I think Anita's claimed that violence (in any form?) is sexist.
  • that doesn't seem like something anyone would realistically claim but idk

she might've meant that modern shooters tend to have a sexist bent to them (catering to highly stereotyped ideas of "masculine fantasy"), and they do, but beyond that I have no idea.

• edited 2013-03-11 06:59:37
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

While I have mixed feelings about Sarkeesian's overall position on media and sexism, I do look forward to her next video, if only to see if she manages to rectify the issues of the first.

That is all.
    i'd be curious to hear what these are, if you feel like it.

(i've seen a few of her videos but not followed the series closely; this latest struck me as a bit simplistic, but probably intended as an introduction for general audiences)

^^I might have, admittedly, but I do wonder what others would think of me if they knew I played a buncha bloody shooters.

i can't imagine that many people below a certain age minding, and certainly not on a site like this.  Violent FPSes are mainstream entertainment these days.  They're far too popular to draw any kind of reasonable conclusion about the people who play them.
  • You know what? Regardless of the actual quality of Sarkeesian's stuff, I think it's making the correct impact on the internet.

I've spent the last half-hour trawling her tag on tumblr, and there's actually a lot of constructive criticism. Sure, there's a lot of banal comments (mostly from the MRAs crowd), but a lot of people are pointing out where she went wrong and providing their own arguments. The mere presence of the video's creating discussion about the issue. And this is good.

• edited 2013-03-12 02:20:44
    ^Hmm, that's good, I guess. I suppose the problem is more that her failings are what seems to prompt the most discussion.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    a8 said:

That is all.
    i'd be curious to hear what these are, if you feel like it.

(i've seen a few of her videos but not followed the series closely; this latest struck me as a bit simplistic, but probably intended as an introduction for general audiences)
    I am fundamentally skeptical about her use of the expression "rape culture"—which she has admittedly only done once or twice—just as I am mildly skeptical about most uses of that term. Her use of the term itself was not incorrect (as it often is in certain circles) given that she was actually discussing the pressure that women are put under in sexual situations, but it is still a dubious qualification at best. I also think that we have slightly different views on the dynamics of sexism and where sexist attitudes are rooted which, being philosophical in nature, are not likely to be easily rectified.
    Yarrun said:

You know what? Regardless of the actual quality of Sarkeesian's stuff, I think it's making the correct impact on the internet.

I've spent the last half-hour trawling her tag on tumblr, and there's actually a lot of constructive criticism. Sure, there's a lot of banal comments (mostly from the MRAs crowd), but a lot of people are pointing out where she went wrong and providing their own arguments. The mere presence of the video's creating discussion about the issue. And this is good.

I agree wholeheartedly.
  • Kind of curious what you take the term "rape culture" to mean, Sredni. Mind explaining?
  • edited 2013-03-12 04:41:18
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Were I to use it in any context, I would define "rape culture" as the kind of cultural substratum that either reinforces the notion that rape is "acceptable" under certain circumstances or, more insidiously, puts women (or in rare cases, men) in a position where their refusal to consent to sexual acts under certain circumstances is construed as expressly negative, leading to more women—especially young women and girls—being tacitly or overtly coerced into sexual activities that they do not wish to consent to.

My problem with the concept and how it is used is that some people are under the impression that everything is a manifestation of "rape culture," thus devaluing the term itself. I also take issue with the term itself, given that I think that it sends the wrong message about what it actually is: That it is a culture (which it is not) rather than an aspect of a culture (which it is).
  • Ah, that's understandable. Semantics issues are pretty much the biggest issue with life in general.
  • edited 2013-03-12 04:41:42
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Note that I meant that I think that "rape culture" is an aspect of the cultural landscape here. I think I accidentally implied the opposite... although I think that you got what I meant.

Edit, away!