GMH reads about Mount Shasta

edited 2013-03-06 10:59:38 in General

Mount Shasta (Karuk: Úytaahkoo or "White Mountain")[5][6] is located at the southern end of the Cascade Range in Siskiyou County, California and at 14,179 feet (4,322 m)[1] is the second highest peak in the Cascades and the fifth highest in California. Mount Shasta has an estimated volume of 85 cubic miles (350 km3) which makes it the most voluminous stratovolcano in the Cascade Volcanic Arc.[7][8]

The mountain and its surrounding area are managed by the U.S. Forest Service, Shasta-Trinity National Forest.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited 2013-03-06 11:06:32
    Mount Shasta is not connected to any nearby mountain and dominates the
    northern California landscape. It rises abruptly and stands nearly
    10,000 ft (3,000 m) above the surrounding terrain.[4] On a clear winter day snowy Mount Shasta can be seen from the floor of the valley 140 miles (230 km) south.[9][citation needed] The mountain has attracted the attention of poets,[10] authors,[11] and presidents.[12]
  • edited 2013-03-06 11:07:16

The mountain consists of four overlapping volcanic cones which have
    built a complex shape, including the main summit and the prominent satellite cone of 12,330 ft (3,760 m) Shastina,
    which has a visibly conical form.

Mount Shasta's surface is relatively free of deep glacial erosion except, paradoxically, for its south side where Sargents Ridge[13] runs parallel to the U-shaped
    Avalanche Gulch. This is the largest glacial valley on the volcano,
    although it does not presently have a glacier in it. There are seven
    named glaciers on Mount Shasta, with the four largest (Whitney, Bolam, Hotlum, and Wintun) radiating down from high on the main summit cone to below 10,000 ft (3,000 m) primarily on the north and east sides.[4]
    The Whitney Glacier is the longest and the Hotlum is the most
    voluminous glacier in the state of California. Three of the smaller
    named glaciers occupy cirques near and above 11,000 ft (3,400 m) on the south and southeast sides, including the Watkins, Konwakiton, and Mud Creek Glaciers.[citation needed]

There are many buried glacial scars on the mountain which were
    originally created in recent glacial periods ("ice ages") of the present
    Wisconsinian glaciation. Most have since been filled in with andesite lava, pyroclastic flows, and talus from lava domes. Shastina, by comparison, has a fully intact summit crater indicating that Shastina developed after the last ice age.

About 593,000 years ago, andesitic lavas erupted in what is now Mount Shasta's western flank near McBride Spring. Over time, an ancestral Mount Shasta stratovolcano was built to a large but unknown height; sometime between 300,000 and 360,000 years ago the entire north side of the volcano collapsed, creating an enormous landslide or debris avalanche, 6.5 cu mi (27 km3)[14] in volume. The slide flowed northwestward into Shasta Valley, where the Shasta River now cuts through the 28-mile-long (45 km) flow.

What remains of the oldest of Mount Shasta's four cones is exposed at
    Sargents Ridge on the south side of the mountain. Lavas from the
    Sargents Ridge vent cover the Everitt Hill shield at Mount Shasta's
    southern foot. The last lavas to erupt from the vent were hornblende-pyroxene andesites with a hornblende dacite dome at its summit. Glacial erosion has since modified its shape.[citation needed]

The next cone to form is exposed south of Mount Shasta's current
    summit and is called Misery Hill. It was formed 15,000 to 20,000 years
    ago from pyroxene andesite flows and has since been intruded by a
    hornblende dacite dome.[citation needed]

Since then the Shastina cone has been built by mostly pyroxene
    andesite lava flows. Some 9,500 years ago, these flows reached about
    6.8 mi (10.9 km) south and 3 mi (4.8 km) north of the area now occupied
    by nearby Black Butte.
    The last eruptions formed Shastina's present summit about a hundred
    years later. But before that, Shastina, along with the then forming
    Black Butte dacite plug dome complex to the west, created numerous pyroclastic flows that covered 43 sq mi (110 km2), including large parts of what is now Mount Shasta, California and Weed, California.
    Diller Canyon (400 ft (120 m) deep and 0.25 mi (400 m) wide) is an
    avalanche chute that was probably carved into Shastina's western face by
    these flows.[citation needed]

The last to form, and the highest cone, the Hotlum Cone, formed about
    8,000 years ago. It is named after the Hotlum glacier on its northern
    face; its longest lava flow, the 500 ft-thick (150 m) Military Pass
    flow, extends 5.5 mi (8.9 km) down its northwest face. Since the
    creation of the Hotlum Cone, a dacite dome intruded the cone and now
    forms the summit. The rock at the 600 ft-wide (180 m) summit crater has
    been extensively hydrothermally altered by sulfurous hot springs and fumaroles there (only a few examples still remain).[citation needed]

In the last 8,000 years, the Hotlum Cone has erupted at least eight
    or nine times. About 200 years ago the last significant Mount Shasta
    eruption came from this cone and created a pyroclastic flow, a hot lahar
    (mudflow), and three cold lahars, which streamed 7.5 mi (12.1 km) down
    Mount Shasta's east flank via Ash Creek. A separate hot lahar went 12 mi
    (19 km) down Mud Creek. This eruption was observed by the explorer La Pérouse, from his ship off the California coast, in 1786.[3]

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Mt. Shasta has a network of caves where refugees from Lemuria live.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    There needs to be some sort of counter culture group that decides Shasta is their drink of choice and then they can battle it out with the Juggalos.
  • That's some East Side Story shit right there.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    "When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way from your first cigarette to your last dying day!"

*HORNS!*
  • edited 2013-03-09 13:34:54
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

"When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way from your first Shasta to your last dying day!"

*HORNS!*
    FTFY

Oh man, team Shasta can have like a white trash motif going for it. They're all mullets, jeans, and t-shirts with the arms ripped off. 
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ But that screws the internal rhyming scheme. Screwing with the internal rhyming schemes in Bernstein songs is like rolling a blunt with pages from the Torah. So sacrilegious.
  • rolling a blunt with pages from the Torah

I JUST WANT TO WATCH A BUNCH OF DUDES AND CHICKS WITH MULLETS BATTLE IT OUT WITHH A BUNCH OF DUDES AND CHICKS IN SCARY CLOWN MAKE-UP WHILE EVERYONE SNAPS AT EACH OTHER AND DRINKS OFF-BRAND SODA!

IS THAT SO WRONG?!
  • If marijuana is legalized in the U.S., I can just see someone making novelty gifts consisting of taking pages of the Bible, Torah, Talmud, Quran, Book of Mormon, etc. and using them to roll blunts.

It's legal in two states.

It's likely that Oregon (voted down the bill to legalize) will accept it soon enough, it usually follows Washington in these things. 
  • edited 2013-03-09 14:44:21

If marijuana is legalized in the U.S., I can just see someone making novelty gifts consisting of taking pages of the Bible, Torah, Talmud, Quran, Book of Mormon, etc. and using them to roll blunts.

YOU HAVE TO BE HIGH TO READ THE *insert holy book of religion you don't like here*, ANYWAYS. AMIRITE?!
  • But it's still not federally legal.  How much do the feds actually step in about this?

It seems it's not recognized as having medicinal properties federally, but federal law allows for states to set their own rules regarding it.

Really, it seems federal law is more concerned with trafficking, cultivating, and selling of marijuana  in large quantities.

• Well, yeah, when you have a limited budget you're not gonna go after the small-time growers much.
  • edited 2013-03-09 15:38:30

FBI makes smallest drug bust in bureau history.

Yesterday, a long time investigation costing tens of thousands of dollars finally came to a close when Michael "Happy M" Douglas was finally caught in possession of three marijuana plants. Officers raided his house last night while "Happy M" was transfixed by an episode of "Wheel of Fortune".

"He put up very little in the way of a fight, once we maced his terrier and subdued his girlfriend, it became apparent he was to high to do much else but laugh every time Pat Sajak had someone spin the wheel." An on-scene agent was quoted as saying.

"This bust records a milestone for the FBI. Never has so much tax payer money been spent for so little of a drug bust. The population of Portland Oregon can rest well knowing that that their chances of being offered marijuana while simply walking down the Hawthorn district will barely change." Commented task leader Didrikson. 

"I bet we can spend even more money and catch someone with TWO pot plants." Commented another agent on the scene. 

FBI Director Robert Mueller called one of our interns a "Dick-turd" and hung up rudely when asked to comment.