UPN

edited 2013-03-03 22:12:44 in General
The Little Network That Seemed Like It Could, But Alas It Couldn't:

Tagged:

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I remember my brother and I having high hopes for UPN, and even thinking it had a better chance at succeeding then The WB (whose mismanagement I've sure I've been over several times already) did. They were riding the goodwill they'd gotten from TNG, and wanted to put those "Paramount network" plans they'd had in the late 1970s back into action.

Promos like this helped: 

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I find it ironic that one of those disses CBS, its eventual corporate sibling (though I'm not sure that buying CBS was on Paramount/Viacom's minds at the time).

...I actually don't remember you saying much about The WB's mismanagement.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Well, it was more in keeping with how the handled moving the WBA shows from Fox, but really, I didn't know much about or care much for the WB until I heard A! was moving there.
    I should probably read more about that...why didn't Taz-Mania ever show up on Kids' WB!, anyway?

• The first five episodes of Pokémon aired on UPN.  At the less insane time of 7:30 AM, too (rather than 7 AM, on WB).

If Pokémon had stayed on UPN, UPN would have been more than competitive against WB.
    Pokémon was syndicated at the time, though. In Denver it aired on the Fox station KDVR before The WB picked it up.
  • And all the stations that had it before WB should have kept it.  Because it would have given them a massive boost.
    They probably couldn't. Kids' WB! probably dealt directly with 4Kids or whoever was distributing the show to local stations at the time and most of the syndication affiliates probably had no say in it.

The existence of Fox Kids and Kids' WB!'s weekday afternoon blocks probably also helped quash whatever viability syndicated childrens' animation had by then anyway. (It got to the point that The Disney Afternoon had to move to UPN and take the name "One Too", after One Saturday Morning)
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Clerks Animated had the option of going to UPN but Fox talked Kevin Smith out of it, explaining that UPN wouldn't last.

Sadly, Smith WOULD have at least gotten a full season, probably more, since UPN lasted for MANY years after that.
    Would it have lasted on UPN?

Maybe they could have paired it up with Dilbert...
    Though UPN never really found much footing anyway; when Clerks: The Animated Series ended, UPN was still trying to target young males (a variety of crappy lowbrow series and WWF SmackDown! aided in this), something that a Dilbert/Clerks block would probably have helped them with.

I find it kinda funny that no matter what they tried to do, SmackDown! wound up becoming their signature show (it was literally the last thing they ever broadcast, too)
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    At the very least, they would have double the episodes they ended up with.
    Right, that.

Too bad it didn't last very long...