My mom sent me my old Nintendo 64

edited 2013-03-03 16:48:31 in General
*BOISTEROUS LAUGHTER*

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    i expected a creepypasta

like one of those ones with the "hacked" pokemon game or something
  • it even has its old memory card

we can pick up right where we left off after i had that case of pernicious anemia
  • i have a date

i would like you to make yourself scarce
  • edited 2013-03-03 16:53:56

I've been working on imitationg admiral akcbar from return of the jedi

itsa tarp
  • Star Fox 64 is my only current reason to seriously consider buying an N64.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Super Mario 64
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Banjo-Tooie
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • SM64 is not a good enough reason.  I'm not sufficiently interested in the Banjo series.  And I haven't confirmed enough interest in the Zelda series (I enjoyed LttP but not quite enough).
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Ocarina of Time is pretty swell
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    if this were three months ago I would have suggested the first Paper Mario

but i'm not sure it's that much of a draw

it's one of the three RPGs made for the console but it's entry-level, if charming
  • edited 2013-03-03 21:48:10
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Anonus said:

it's one of the three RPGs made for the console but it's entry-level, if charming

14, actually. Although a couple were Japan only.
  • I'd imagine this was Naney's inevitable response.

• edited 2013-03-04 00:19:10
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Banjo-Tooie

• I got an NES, and a Game Boy, and an SNES.  So when the N64 came out, I wasn't really sure whether to ask my parents for it.  It did seem pretty cool, but I knew they weren't really wholly on board with my gaming hobby.

I knew of the existence of Sony's Playstation, Panasonic's 3DO, and Sega's Saturn, but the N64 was the only console I was seriously thinking of asking for.

Now, 16 years later, I still haven't really broken into 3D gaming.  (Unless you count Metroid Prime and TF2.)
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    What games you have?

Earthlight Ray: All excellent choices and well worth getting an n64 for.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

SM64 is not a good enough reason.

what

I'm not sufficiently interested in the Banjo series.

WHAT

And I haven't confirmed enough interest in the Zelda series

WHAT
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    glennmagusharvey confirmed for knowing jack shit about games
  • edited 2013-03-04 17:22:48

on the subject of games that people should play including the person that is you

one of those games

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    That game looks interesting!
  • i am on the second area and it is rad

though apparently there are some shocking twists that i have avoided being spoilered on
  • edited 2013-03-04 19:33:13
    Super Mario 64 is quite fun.  But the controls are a bit clunky in my opinion.  That said, I'm not exactly sure what smooth 3D controls are like.

The Banjo series I just haven't had a chance to get into at all.  Probably because I've never really gotten a good taste of them.  They seem fun, but they've never quite had a breakthrough moment to make it onto my to-play shortlist.

The Zelda series...now this is a bit odd.  The Zelda series is probably the most famous classic videogame franchise that I have not really played.  I played and enjoyed A Link to the Past.  But I tried Zelda 1 and Link's Awakening and found them to be a bit meh.

That said I've heard lots and lots of praise for Ocarina of Time, and I've also extensively watched someone play Twilight Princess, and both seem quite fun.  Rather different from LttP though.  For a while I had my sights set on getting a gamecube so I could get the a system that had a ton of Zelda games available for it (OOT, MM, WW, and TP), though I missed my chance to nab it because I didn't feel like paying $150 for a cube and a ton of games that included the Master Quest cart.

(No, UE, watching you or ML sequence-break the fuck out of OOT and MM don't count.)

Also, the Zelda series has its own unique fantasy world, and it seems like the elements are sometimes love-it-or-hate-it.  (Tingle comes to mind.)

But yeah, Zelda OoT and TP are on my to-play list.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    but what about Paper Mario
  • edited 2013-03-04 19:49:30
    Something doesn't feel as entertaining about the newer Mario games.  It's like, it too clearly doesn't take itself seriously.

Except maybe Galaxy/Galaxy2 and the one Paper Mario that involves flipping dimensions.  And maybe Bowser's Inside Story.  Those all have unique gameplay features that are pretty darn creative.

Even if you don't like Nintendo's games, you gotta admit they are pretty darn creative.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    PM:TTYD is the best RPG i have played.  The dialogue is irreverent, but they clearly took the gameplay, the soundtrack and the art seriously.

With regards to Tingle, he's not typical of the Zelda universe, which is part of what made him so jarring.  And imo Zelda 1 and Link's Awakening are some of the weaker titles in the series (though still good games).
  • Seems that the Zelda series underwent major changes between the 2D and 3D games.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Well, yes, that tends to happen when a non-RPG gains another dimension.