Metric vs. Inchy measuring systen

edited 2013-03-03 00:37:12 in General
procs and cons?

why use the other over the other?

hwat are the beneifts of the metric syste>NM?

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Inchy = Imperial
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    "Inchy" is a funnier word, though
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The US system technically isn't the Imperial system, though.
  • edited 2013-03-03 01:26:35
    I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    Inches are all I know.

Habit aside, I'm pretty sure that metric is better in almost every single way. Or just plain better. America will give up and go metric eventually.

Stuff like "5280 feet to a mile" is a pain in the butt to keep track of.

Broadly speaking, Imperial/US customary units correspond more closely to real world, everyday objects and uses.

Farenheit, in particular, lets you describe the temperature of your own environment a lot more accurately than you can with Celsius.
  • The bizarre twelves and such that permeate the Imperial system were useful in an era when there were no electronic calculators or the like.  (see also: English pre-decimalized currency)
  • edited 2013-03-03 02:03:27
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    ...is Bobby an Ameriphile? 

...Are there such things as Ameriphiles? 
  • edited 2013-03-03 02:07:17
    (flower path)
    Americaphile gets about twice as many Google hits as Ameriphile.  And yeah, they definitely exist.  Why else would China and Japan be filled with so much poorly-grammatical English?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    You know, I started with "Americaphile" and decoded it an extra, unnecessary syllable. 
  • edited 2013-03-03 02:08:19
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^^ ...possibly.

But i'm also a Brit, and we've kind of resisted the switch to metric.  That's less an America vs Europe thing and more of an Anglosphere thing.
  • I dunno, I like the way that Imperial units all divide pretty well. But I don't really like base-10 so I'm kind of biased.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    About the only place in the Anglosphere that's gone pretty much all metric is Canada, and even then I have to wonder how much say Quebec had in that.
  • Does Australia use metric?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I think they do, actually.
    Metrication in Australia took place between 1970 and 1988. Before then, Australia mostly used the imperial system for measurement, which the Australian colonies had inherited from the United Kingdom. Between 1970 and 1988, imperial units were withdrawn from general legal use and replaced with SI metric units, facilitated through legislation and government agencies. SI units are now the sole legal units of measurement in Australia. Australia's largely successful transition to the metric system contrasts with the ongoing opposition to metrication in the United States and in the United Kingdom.
    So less an Anglosphere thing and more a stubborn jackasses thing, i guess. my bad.
  • Since I mentioned twelves, I should note something: both "inch" and "ounce" come from the Latin "uncia", meaning "twelfth".
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Kexruct said:

I dunno, I like the way that Imperial units all divide pretty well. But I don't really like base-10 so I'm kind of biased.

I feel the same way. While I understand the practicality of measuring distances and exact sizes and weights in metric terms, the Imperial system feels far more sensible to me on some weird gut level. I guess it's because I can visualise divisions by twos and threes better than I can divisions by fives.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Twelve inches in a foot.  Twelve is divisible by two, three, four, and six.  Ten is only divisible by two and five.

I really like the threes thing of the imperial system, and it is a lot easier for me to do the conversions.  I have to think and remember to just move a decimal place, and then I have to convert twenty five from (eight threes) and a one to two tens and five ones; and then turn it to two ones and five one-tenths; and then remember that five tenths is one half, and so turn it to two and a half.

Division by twos and threes and multiples of two and three comes easier than division by tens.

Also, there really is some thrill when you put pen to paper and by simple multiplication, figure out exactly how many inches there are in a mile.  You feel like you did something.  I don't get that with the metric system, just moving the decimal point around.

For me, metric conversion has no satisfaction because I know it's supposed to be easy.

I think that both should be used, with Metric preferred for accuracy and imperial used for informal, colloquial, dumb-people use.

Because I really don't get all of this "Metric is in tens so it's intrinsically superior to STUPID AMERICANS HA HA" or this "METRIC SYSTEM IS STUPID and AMERICANS ARE THE BEST" or this "STUPID AMERICANS, GET WITH THE PROGRAM".

We don't need a universal language, and having one would be a tragedy.  Likewise, we shouldn't have to homogenize weights and measures.

Convenience and precision have their places, but if we homogenize everything to be more convenient and efficient; we'll have lost something valuable.
  • Aliroz_ said:

Twelve inches in a foot.  Twelve is divisible by two, three, four, and six.  Ten is only divisible by two and five.

I really like the threes thing of the imperial system, and it is a lot easier for me to do the conversions.  I have to think and remember to just move a decimal place, and then I have to convert twenty five from (eight threes) and a one to two tens and five ones; and then turn it to two ones and five one-tenths; and then remember that five tenths is one half, and so turn it to two and a half.

Division by twos and threes and multiples of two and three comes easier than division by tens.

Also, there really is some thrill when you put pen to paper and by simple multiplication, figure out exactly how many inches there are in a mile.  You feel like you did something.  I don't get that with the metric system, just moving the decimal point around.

For me, metric conversion has no satisfaction because I know it's supposed to be easy.

I think that both should be used, with Metric preferred for accuracy and imperial used for informal, colloquial, dumb-people use.

Because I really don't get all of this "Metric is in tens so it's intrinsically superior to STUPID AMERICANS HA HA" or this "METRIC SYSTEM IS STUPID and AMERICANS ARE THE BEST" or this "STUPID AMERICANS, GET WITH THE PROGRAM".

We don't need a universal language, and having one would be a tragedy.  Likewise, we shouldn't have to homogenize weights and measures.

Convenience and precision have their places, but if we homogenize everything to be more convenient and efficient; we'll have lost something valuable.

I love reading your posts.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Viani said:

Metric = Great for long distances, horrible for bullet measurements

Inchy = Great for carpentry, horrible for space travel and territorial measurement

This is correct.