Ancient Aliens

edited 2013-02-28 22:37:46 in General
It's a show about....a theory regarding aliens, teaching humans the ropes about how to be a civilized society.

So, whatsa Heap think? Good or Wood?

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Very stiff alien wood. :)
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    I like
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    We need a Cthulhu edit of that show, now. :D
  • edited 2013-03-01 12:24:07
    Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Well I had typed out an entire two paragraphs about the guy's hair, but I guess the forum didn't want me to post that.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Fun fact: the ancient astronauts hypothesis comes from H.P. Lovecraft via a 1960 French book called Les Matin des Magiciens (which is also the original source for other pseudohistory genres like Nazi occultism). It's documented by this guy.
  • The Ancient Astronauts "hypothesis" is significantly older than 1960.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    As non-fiction? Because I just said the idea is older, as fiction.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I find it interesting that all the "ancient aliens" theorists seem to be under the tacit impression that ancient humans were somehow stupid.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The thinking behind it always struck me as pretty patronizing, if not outright racist.
  • Because assuming aliens implies that there's no way those silly brown people could do it under their own power, right?

I think ethnocentrism plays a large part in the ancient aliens conspiracy, rather than racism.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Well, it's more about the bizarre assumption that people couldn't have figured out certain technological advances on their own, not just in places like Egypt and Peru but in England as well. It's like they believe that a lack of practical knowledge about the universe automatically equates to a lack of ingenuity. Of course, there is an ethnocentric colonialist element to it—the whole preconscious "enlightening the natives" thing—but I think it's more an arrogant misunderstanding of human progress.
    That's probably more accurate, yes.
  • for the record, Mr. Ancient Aliens himself has since changed his position from "there were ancient aliens" to "there were ancient sky guardians."

You tell me which is more ridiculous.

• ancient sky guardians
    there's a pokemon for everything
  • did i ever tell you guys how my sigilyph took a super effective move from a pokemon 10 levels higher than it

and it's health bar was still in the green

sigilyph is not a pokemon you wanna fuck with
  • and that was without any buffing at all
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    a8 said:

The thinking behind it always struck me as pretty patronizing, if not outright racist.

for the record, Mr. Ancient Aliens himself has since changed his position from "there were ancient aliens" to "there were ancient sky guardians."

So... the gods.

Maybe there were both! The first host of ancient aliens genetically engineered apemen to sapience, the second destroyed Atlantis, but by then Gaea, the world-soul of Earth's biosphere, had procreated a race of gods. The third host saw the gods as a confounding variable in their experiments on Earth, and so banished them to other planes.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Mr. Darcy said:

Gaea, the world-soul of Earth's biosphere

Could she no longer stand the terrible destruction plaguing our planet and sent five magic rings to five special young people?
    ^ You bet she did.