Mind if I borrow a frindle?

TreTre
edited 2013-02-26 16:52:38 in General

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    I never got what that book was supposed to prove.
  • It's CHILD EMPOWERMENT, see.

Essentially the dude manages to get "frindle" in the dictionary despite his teacher saying it's not a word.

Then again, she says she was firmly against the word to help it become popular so the whole thing is a bit of a passive-agressive brouhaha... wait, you're right, there is no point.

Pfft.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think it's some kind of commentary on the whole debate about prescriptivism, but I'm really not sure.
  • I dunno. It was an okay book though.
  • Man, I kinda liked that book.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    That book is a slight annoyance.

I truly detest the basic philosophy behind the writing of that book.

It inspired so many of my schoolmates to try to make up words.

But I had an even better book, one with lots of words, and all of them were real words.

-runs off to go coddle my old gray-covered yellowing jacketless first-printing copy of Merriam-Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, Ninth Edition-
  • Aliroz_ said:

Why am I not surprised.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I've tried to make up words but none of them were good enough to catch on.
    Best failed invented that I can think of was the one that Simon Winchester talked about coming up with in his forward to Eric McKean's Weird and Wonderful Wordsdrimmens, meaning "the trail of gray water that is invariably left behind on the floor when someone in gumboots comes into a warm kitchen from the snowy outside world."

I think I have to start a webcomic or something with this title just so people will know that it exists.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Aliroz_ said:

I truly detest the basic philosophy behind the writing of that book.

It inspired so many of my schoolmates to try to make up words.

But I had an even better book, one with lots of words, and all of them were real words.

-runs off to go coddle my old gray-covered yellowing jacketless first-printing copy of Merriam-Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, Ninth Edition-

DICTIONARIES ARE RUN BY CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS THAT HAVE PRIVILAGED WHITE MALES AT THE HEART AND ARE TOOLS FOR CONTINUE THE OPRESSION OF THE UNDERPRIVILAGED! /sjw

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Minus the all-caps and poor spelling, that's actually something I've seen some bloggers say.
  • i wouldn't like necessarily completely disagree, but it's a bit of an extreme position
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Agreed.

It's true to some extent, but it didn't seem particularly applicable to the argument they were trying to make.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    overstatement
    The OED strikes me as pretty egalitarian. They take great pains to reflect use and semantic context in what they include, and they are unusually good with slang and especially dialectal usages.
  • The stuff I saw on tumblr was more "people don't think they know science because they can look up scientific terms in the dictionary, so why do they think they know about racism because they can look it up in the dictionary?"
    The post I was thinking of listed historical examples of people manipulating dictionary definitions for political reasons, then implied that's why the "dictionary definition" of racism doesn't match the strict academic definition.

Which is kind of a stupid argument--the reason the dictionary contains the layperson's definition of racism is because that's how most people use the word.