this crap gives me a headache

edited 2013-02-24 17:53:48 in General

Maybe it's just because I've been awake absurdly long, but I actually had to stop and think about what clicking "Cancel" would do. Was is really too hard to think of another way to phrase this?

Comments

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    ~~P => P

• Was it really too hard to use a "Yes/No" dialog box?
    spinor said:

Was it really too hard to use a "Yes/No" dialog box?

Well, going from the GUI I'd think CA is using Linux and Linux is an operating system developed by thousands of programmers and speaking as a programmer myself, programmers do things that make sense only to themselves and Linux isn't regulated like Windows is 
  • edited 2013-02-24 19:13:54
    (flower path)
    It's clearly a Javascript dialog box from tumblr's website.  Which also explains its brokenness, really, since tumblr's code base quality is...not good.  But there's no way Javascript doesn't have the ability to do "Yes/No" boxes, I mean, even VB has that..........right?
    well the browser she's using is definitely on Linux 
  • Oh definitely, I think she uses Xfce, but all the main browsers aside from IE(which nobody should be using) are cross-platform anyways.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It seems like bizarre negative phrasing to begin with. In most apps, closing an unsaved file asks if you want to save, not if you want to discard it, so having the opposite here is unintuitive. Personally, I would have done it like this:

Save changes to this post?
    [ Discard Changes ] [ Save Changes ]

But I get the feeling Javascript limits you to a Yes/No dialog or an OK/Cancel dialog. In which case, I'd have gone with:

Save changes to this post?
    [ No ] [ Yes ]
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Even in Windows, you're limited to Yes/No/Cancel dialogs at best unless you make your own dialogs. 
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Usually I only see poorly worded crap like that if I'm closing a pop-up add, and it's trying to trick me into staying.