No shit, Sherlock

edited 2013-02-24 02:27:43 in General
On the back of a bus pass:
COTA reserves the right to deny transportation services to any person who knowingly evades payment of the fare of a public transportation vehicle, Section 2917.41 ORC.
You mean that...you reserve the right to deny service to people who haven't paid for that service? I never knew!

Also, is anyone who actually has a bus pass in their hand to read this likely to try to evade paying a fare?
Tagged:

Comments

• shhhh not too loud they're after me
  • edited 2013-02-24 02:27:38
    also

*captainobvious
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Nice catch. Fixed.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    They must have had a lot of problems with gatecrashers, I guess. Does COTA use electronic fare collection, or do they still have those glass dropbox things?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Electronic.

It just seemed weird to me to put that on the back of a bus pass, of all things, because...you know, if you have a bus pass in your possession, why would you gatecrash?
  • edited 2013-02-24 05:56:42
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Maybe it's some sort of needlessly-cryptic reminder not to try and use expired bus passes? I dunno. I know the bus systems here stopped issuing paper transfers (you have to use SmarTrip to get the discount now) due to rampant abuse.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    It reads to me a bit like an implicit threat.  'No, seriously, we reserve the right to never let you on a bus again if you do this.'

Like Lee said, they must have had a problem with people not paying.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah. That or people trying to haggle with the driver for a free or reduced fare; I've seen that happen even here.
    I keep meaning to ride the bus more often, since I have a bus pass now, but they don't come out to here and the nearest Park & Ride is like 10 minutes away.

That's not so bad, except...I can't decide where I want to take a bus to. :\
  • edited 2013-02-24 06:15:22
    There's a park and ride maybe a mile from my house, but I rarely bother these days because the damn thing starta filling up by 7 AM, and I'm lucky if my ass is out of bed before 9. :P

Eventually, though, I may have to deal with it, since the express lanes on 95 will be tolled in a year or three.
  • edit: wrong thread

I think the machines on the buses will take a bus ticket and maybe the bus driver is suppose to give you a new one here?

In practice, that would take to fucking long and everyone just flashes their tickets and passes.

People do haggle and pleed for freebies here as well. Though, you can get onto the MAX or a streetcar without anyone seeing if you payed or not.

Lord help you if you get caught. Security occasionally jumps on cars and checks who paid. People who didn't get fined, and I'm guessing kicked off.
    Here, you basically either put your change into the machine (it has a coin slot like a vending machine or copier) or swipe the magnetic strip on your pass.

They're pretty liberal with the transfer tickets--you can get one and use it all day (they even use the same cards for Transfers and 1-Day Passes), with the only restriction being that you can't use it to ride the same bus twice.

$2.50 for two hours on anything, $5 for the whole day.

Also, my work pays for half of a monthly, which is pretty awesome.

The bus is now were I get all my reading done.

Too bad four copies of the Qur'an or Three volumes of Romance of the Three Kingdoms is kind of difficult to manage on a bus.

Man...that's like...some sort of ubber-first world problem there.

Like...if a first world problem genetically engineered the most asinine of problems so it could fight Nazi problems.

That's what kind of problem it is.
  • On the back of a bus pass:

COTA reserves the right to deny transportation services to any person who knowingly evades payment of the fare of a public transportation vehicle, Section 2917.41 ORC.
    You mean that...you reserve the right to deny service to people who haven't paid for that service? I never knew!

Also, is anyone who actually has a bus pass in their hand to read this likely to try to evade paying a fare?
    I think they mean if you skipped out on payment before, they can refuse to give you another ride. </literalbitch>
  • I thought this thread would be about Sherlock being unable to shit because he's a fictional character
  • edited 2013-02-24 17:27:17
    (flower path)
    Justice42 said:

Too bad four copies of the Qur'an or Three volumes of Romance of the Three Kingdoms is kind of difficult to manage on a bus.

You know what's not difficult to manage on a bus?  A tablet.  Just saying. :P

I have one, but it would only be useful to me in this case if it had there's a downloadable copy of RotTK with footnotes also visible on the page or would show three to four different translations of the Qur'an simultaneously.

See, the issue isn't that I'm reading the Qur'an or RotTK, it's that my copy of RotTK has end notes in they're in volume 3 while I'm reading 1. 

With the Qur'an, each translation can give a slightly to major interpretation of a verse, so reading through a couple pages is something of a major undertaking for me where I'm sat with four copies in front of me.

So, even if I sprung for a better tablet or brought my ultrabook, I doubt I would fair as well as just reading at home.

Still, plenty of fiction that needs my attention. 
  • edited 2013-02-24 23:07:45

Here, you basically either put your change into the machine (it has a coin slot like a vending machine or copier) or swipe the magnetic strip on your pass.

They're pretty liberal with the transfer tickets--you can get one and use it all day (they even use the same cards for Transfers and 1-Day Passes), with the only restriction being that you can't use it to ride the same bus twice.
    Around here, they take coins, bills (up to $20, I think) or you can use or reload your SmarTrip (which is an RFID card). I think they've upgraded SmarTrip to carry passes and such, but I've never paid much attention to the Metro passes and PRTC doesn't accept them anyway.
  • I dunno how passes work so I just use my SmarTrip card.