MC Escher

edited 2013-02-22 00:50:59 in General

I warned you about stairs, brothers!

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    MC Escher? Isn't he a rapper?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it keeps happening

/obligatory
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I love this print.
    Said print is not showing up. :(
  • edited 2013-02-22 22:28:20
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It's the one with the curl-ups climbing and descending impossible staircases. It's currently my avatar picture.
    Oh, that one. Yes, that is a cool one.
  • edited 2013-02-22 22:49:24
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

curl-ups

Is that what they're called? I thought of them as centipede-Trapinches.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    That's what Escher called them. I love them.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I love that print.  I spend my hours in many a math class staring at it.  So beautiful in its manipulation of form, and the curl-ups are so cute.

I also like his last work, the one he was drawing in the last few days before he died.  He never got around to finishing it and getting to the circles so small they need a microscope to been seen, the sub-millimeter patterns that he used in some of his other works.  It still looks good.

• whoa, that last picture is pretty