VHS

edited 2013-02-14 02:35:16 in General
Man, look at these swanky cases. I actually had to use tapes as recently as undergrad, though they were smaller ones for the video camera. They had case designs sort of like this one.

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I actually have a tape that came in a box like this:

I obtained it in 2007, and it has a Disney Channel recording of Muppet Christmas Carol from when it was a premium channel and used this logo.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    We actually still have a whole bunch of tapes like that, from both my brother's collection and from my mom's.

Fun fact: My brother and I are pretty sure the old Panasonic tape from the 1980s was actually That's/Taiyo Yuden. We had thought it was Fuji before, but apparently not.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    There are tons of these in my parents' basement. The content would probably be nostalgia overload, which could kill me.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    my parents have a bunch of them, but they no longer have any way to play them.
  • edited 2013-02-14 12:21:43

i remember this vhs we had/(have?) with a recording of The Blob up to the scene where they are trapped in the diner, and then part of Gone With The Wind

it made for an interesting viewing experience
  • @a8 I'm pretty sure there are places that will transfer the data from your old VHS tapes to DVDs for you.
    There are also commercially-available devices that can do that.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I had every episode of Sonic SatAM and Adventures on tape.

I had the 80s Transformers movie.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ^^ I don't like the sound of that past tense...
    But you don't care about my past tense, eh?

Oh, I just don't have the tapes anymore.

I held on to them for a while, but it seemed kinda pointless as I got older and could get both on DVD if I so choose...

...Also, both cartoons are kind of...not good by adult Justice standards. Hell, even young Justice thought Adventures was pretty bad, but liked Sonic so much he kept on watching and recording.

Oddly enough, I never had the 80s Transformers movie despite watching the crap out of our local video stores copy.

I own like...three copies on DVD now, or something...

My co-workers and I where talking guilty pleasures, when I brought that up, one of my co-workers stopped me and confirmed what I suspected, that it's a good movie.

...it is?

It has Orsen Welles and Leonard Nimoy as the villains, a several characters get straight up murdered. 

Not to mention other Eric Idle and a bunch of other famous peeps.

It has an awesome...if 80stastic soundtrack including a song by Weird Al.

I'll grant that Wheelie is a low point, but other than that there's very little to complain about and a lot going for it.
  • edited 2013-02-15 01:55:38
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm pretty sure we still have my brothers' VHS recordings of things like ReBoot and Pokemon around here someplace. I also recorded a whole bunch of TTA and Animaniacs off of Nick and WGN in 1996 or so, back when there was no other way to get either.

And the only good thing about AoSTH is Robotnik. I actually was rather annoyed by it back when it was first on in 1993, since I didn't like the theme song that much (who thought mashing up the Sonic theme and In the Hall of the Mountain King was a good idea?) and because of stupid high-school related reasons I won't repeat here because they're stupid and lame and relied on huge leaps of logic to even work.
    Justice42 said:

I held on to them for a while, but it seemed kinda pointless as I got older and could get both on DVD if I so choose...

...Also, both cartoons are kind of...not good by adult Justice standards. Hell, even young Justice thought Adventures was pretty bad, but liked Sonic so much he kept on watching and recording.

Oddly enough, I never had the 80s Transformers movie despite watching the crap out of our local video stores copy.

My co-workers and I where talking guilty pleasures, when I brought that up, one of my co-workers stopped me and confirmed what I suspected, that it's a good movie.

not pointless

DVDs don't have the cool old ads

That reminds me, I need to watch the rest of ReBoot.

Justice42 said:

not pointless

DVDs don't have the cool old ads
    Yeah...I stopped recording at those points for the most part. I wasn't big on commercials.

Though, my brother and I where once watching a subbed copy of Dragon Ball Z (long before every episode was dubbed) and one of the subbers subbed a coco pops commercial so that it was about a cereal that mind controlled children into staying in a cult with the monkey mascot.

That was pretty awesome.
    Which reminds me: I have all three of the Animaniacs box sets and and all of the TTA that's made it to DVD so far, but I haven't really watched either more than once or twice. I have to wonder if I just lost interest, or if I don't want to be reminded of, well, pretty much anything between 1993-2007 (more of a problem with A! than TTA), or what.
    Oh wow, I was watching one of the dumps of old commercials from our old tapes, and there's an ad in here for the issue of People that covered Prince WIlliam's christening.
    And now I'm watching an actual VHS tape, and it seems to be one of the tapes my mom left running while flipping through channels back in Manassas. Whole bunch of odd stuff on here...it looks like it started out as a DBZ/ReBoot tape my brothers made, then goes completely off the rails.
    JIGGLYPUFF WEEK IN HI-FI SP. Dude.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    analog skewed 240P. Damn, VHS was such a horrible standard even for its introduction -- 480i Laserdisc had been introduced like 8 years before. 
    Well, technically they were both 480i (otherwise your TV set wouldn't be able to sync to it), it's more that VHS had an effective resolution of somewhere around 480x480 (240 horizontal lines, or TiVo low-quality), and LaserDisc was closer to the 720x480 used in production.