I don't want to die

edited 2013-02-09 23:06:37 in Talk
But I have to, don't I?

Comments

• Yeah. It happens.

We all have to eventually, but hey, at least whatever's on the other side of it isn't guaranteed to be terrible, and if time doesn't exist, then you'll be there with all your friends and family, regardless of whether they were there when you left Earthly existence or whatever.

Not very comforting, I'd suppose, but I was never good at that kind of thing.

-hug-
  • edited 2013-02-09 23:42:12
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Hang in there. At least we're all in this together.

Somehow, that felt better than posting Queen or worse, the end of Seventh Seal... 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Death means the end of Time.

I'm OK with this.
  • Ah, Time.

She is ruthless.
  • Aw, thank you, Vi. Same here. :3
    :)
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I enjoy having you around as well.

Somehow this is reminding me of Angel Beats...

I guess the general atmosphere of Angel Beats lends itself more to the heap then Haibane Renmei...

Both of which I'd recommend if you want a good afterlife anime.
  • I liked Haibane Renmei.  Never saw Angel Beats, though.
  • edited 2013-02-10 00:28:32
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I watched it, not quite as deep or engaging as Haibane Renmei, but it was fun and it did have its moments. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I'm OK with this.

false; time means the eventual end of you

...I'm not sure parade raining was the best response there...
    Was that mean?  Sorry if that was mean.

But we can't say with any certainty that time will even have an end, and i don't know what that would even entail.

Would it be more hopeful to point out that none of us are dead yet?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Mortality is still a concept I can't quite wrap my head around.

It seems like I should be able to say "fuck you, universe, you're not the boss of me, and I don't have to die if I don't want to."

But that didn't work with regards to growing up (fuckin' Peter Pan makes it look so easy), so I don't have high hopes that it will work with death. :\

Well, maybe we'll end up with GitS tech in a bit here and get to download our "ghosts", "souls", "thinking patterns" what have you.

Course, one could always have their head frozen if that doesn't work out...
    If we could save minds somehow that'd be cool, i guess.  i dunno, the thought of that kind of scares me.  But i used to want to overcome death, somehow.

But when you think about what a human being is, and you think about all the things there are that can kill you, the fact that i even lived to have thoughts like that is in many ways kind of miraculous.

So i feel like i'm living on borrowed time and i should probably not kick up a fuss about that.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I never really understood the point of the whole mind-uploading thing. Sure, a copy of me could continue to exist in a computer somewhere, but what benefit would that have to me? Wouldn't this version of me, that I am now, still cease to exist when I die?
    Did you ever see Red Dwarf?  They played with that idea.

But really that raises the question of what you are.  Some people would probably say that the copy was you, that there was no difference.
  • edited 2013-02-10 04:29:49
    Cause everybody's gotta die sometimes, yeah yeah...
    Avenged Sevenfold reference?

i considered posting 'everybody wants to change the world, everybody wants to change the world, but no-one, no-one wants to die' but thought better of it.

Yours was probably more respectable.
  • edited 2013-02-10 04:34:39
    I dunno, mine's from a song about a guy who murders his girlfriend, has sex with her corpse, then she reanimates and kills him, then he comes back to life and they massacre a church audience before having a wedding at said church.

So...yeah
  • edited 2013-02-10 04:37:35
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i meant in terms of rockist music credibility

you know, this is actually better than i remembered it being

not exactly metal, but good
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...why would you preserve just your head instead of your whole body?
    idk.  Ever see Futurama?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ The assumption is that in the future, they will be able to reconstruct bodies.
    See, my question is, like...what's the point of having a copy of me in existence, even if that copy is identical in every way, if I don't get to experience that copy's life?
    From that copy's perspective, you do.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ That's my issue as well.
  • edited 2013-02-10 05:02:00
    i'm more troubled by the suggestion that 'you' are a piece of abstract data that will fit on a hard disk, not a flesh and blood human being.

because materialism i guess

But i guess from your perspective, one moment you are putting your consciousness onto a hard disk and the next you are on a hard disk, with no memory of anything your old body did after that point.

Of course there's another you who has no such experience, so i guess from that perspective it hasn't solved anything.

But i guess from your perspective, one moment you are putting your consciousness onto a hard disk and the next you are on a hard disk, with no memory of anything your old body did after that point.

Where are you getting this assumption? Most of the time I see a media portrayal of this idea, they do memories as well. Lil' Hal from Homestuck was something of an exception, but he wasn't really treated like Dirk that happened to be in a machine.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Your life is long, eternity is short.

So much so that you could die for a billion billion years, then be resurrected and say "I only closed my eyes for a second"
  • edited 2013-02-10 13:52:48
    ^^ Logically, you couldn't possibly remember anything your flesh-and-blood body did after you last updated your memory, could you?  At least, not unless it was updated posthumously, which might not even be possible, although i suppose that would answer CA and Sredni's objection if it was.  Obviously the cause and time of death would be a potential factor there.

i dunno, though, transhumanism is weird.  i'm actually not clear on what a 'copy' of your mind is supposed to entail.  In order to be a faithful continuation of your consciousness it would have to involve more than a direct simulation of your brain cells and neural pathways because that wouldn't be sufficient to allow you to continue to feel the same emotions and sensations that you did as a flesh-and-blood human being.

And all that's assuming that consciousness is entirely material in nature, of course.

i dunno, though, transhumanism is weird.  i'm actually not clear on what a 'copy' of your mind is supposed to entail.  In order to be a faithful continuation of your consciousness it would have to involve more than a direct simulation of your brain cells and neural pathways because that wouldn't be sufficient to allow you to continue to feel the same emotions and sensations that you did as a flesh-and-blood human being.

I was thinking about this last night, and found it rather interesting. Given that or personalities are so chemical driven, I think it would take a lot of...programming? Something that could take our chemical make-up of the brain and make that work in code?

Not sure.

Perhaps our best bet here is biological computers which might mean basically just transferring brains into another brain, or even just preserving our brain somehow and hooking it up to a computer. 

Our brains are basically the most complex thing in all of existence anyhow, it might take something similar to make a transfer work. 

Probably.  i can't see it not being complicated, whatever the process was.

Accustom yourself to believing that death is nothing to us, for good and evil imply the capacity for sensation, and death is the privation of all sentience; therefore a correct understanding that death is nothing to us makes the mortality of life enjoyable, not by adding to life a limitless time, but by taking away the yearning after immortality. For life has no terrors for him who has thoroughly understood that there are no terrors for him in ceasing to live. Foolish, therefore, is the man who says that he fears death, not because it will pain when it comes, but because it pains in the prospect. Whatever causes no annoyance when it is present, causes only a groundless pain in the expectation. Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not. It is nothing, then, either to the living or to the dead, for with the living it is not and the dead exist no longer.

But in the world, at one time men shun death as the greatest of all evils, and at another time choose it as a respite from the evils in life. The wise man does not deprecate life nor does he fear the cessation of life. The thought of life is no offense to him, nor is the cessation of life regarded as an evil. And even as men choose of food not merely and simply the larger portion, but the more pleasant, so the wise seek to enjoy the time which is most pleasant and not merely that which is longest. And he who admonishes the young to live well and the old to make a good end speaks foolishly, not merely because of the desirability of life, but because the same exercise at once teaches to live well and to die well. Much worse is he who says that it were good not to be born, but when once one is born to pass quickly through the gates of Hades. For if he truly believes this, why does he not depart from life? It would be easy for him to do so once he were firmly convinced. If he speaks only in jest, his words are foolishness as those who hear him do not believe.

• edited 2013-02-10 15:00:31
    Foolish, therefore, is the man who says that he fears death, not because it will pain when it comes, but because it pains in the prospect.
    Fair enough. i don't believe i ever professed to be anything else.

The idea that i will cease to be does frighten me, sometimes. The times when it doesn't are the bleakest.

i mean, it's not the idea of being non-existent that's scary, that would be silly.  It's the idea of running out of time to live and do things.  i don't want this to have been 'it'.  i don't want to lie in my deathbed thinking, 'Really?  you had one life and THAT was what you did with it?'
  • edited 2013-02-10 15:04:02
    Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh i don't like this.

Nothing is enough anymore, nothing.

Logically if i were to suddenly drop dead then i would no longer worry about this so it'd be fine.  But i am not ok with this.
    *hugs* 
    *hug*

Thanks.
    a8 said:

I'm OK with this.

false; time means the eventual end of you
    If I do not exist, then Time does not exist for me.
    Fair enough.
  • My mortality scares me. While I'm perfectly fine accepting that others have happy afterlives when it comes to me I'm not as sure.