PepsiCo

edited 2013-02-05 21:28:42 in General
a thread about PepsiCo, because we don't have enough threads about huge corporations :P

That said, change Pepsi's logo back to the old one

Most of these stupid-ass late 2000s "smile" logos need to die off

Comments

• I don't find anything wrong with Pepsi's new logo.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    They decided to shove a classic (that had been modified plenty of times but still) into that awful "smile" trend (most of those "smile" logos were ripoffs of the Amazon.com logo, IIRC):

At the very least their current packaging is nice but something about the "pepsi" wordmark seems clumsy to me, along with the dark shade of blue that they now opt for:

• I don't find anything wrong with Pepsi's new logo.

You know what other PepsiCo design I don't like, and never have? The 2005-present Doritos packaging:

No style there.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    pepsi > coke
  • edited 2013-02-05 22:02:39
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, the logo and execution itself are actually pretty strong, and the font they chose is a nice reminder of my childhood (it's practically a direct copy of the old Diet Pepsi logo from around 1981). What I didn't like is the reasoning behind it ("Pepsi DNA" my ass). The smile thing never bothered me much.

As for the Doritos bags....oh, God, the 1980s version is so much classier, it's no wonder it's showing up more. The current version was designed for the OMG XTREEM set (with a side of MAD SNACKS YO) about ten years too late. :P
    Looking on Logopedia I found a vectorization of this:

Ohai AT&T globe
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    AU: And pretty daring, too, considering that was like two or three years after the AT&T globe came out!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ^^ That's pretty blatant
    USPTO gives the first use in commerce for the AT&T globe as September 12, 1983; that Diet Pepsi logo is list as September 19, 1985—just 2 years later.
    Did the designer think that the AT&T logo looked cool or something?

...I can't decide if IBM or AT&T started that '80s segmented-line trend
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ^ Well, which one came first?
    Considering that IBM was considered pretty moribund at the time (their hottest non-PC product of the 1980s was the AS/400. Seriously), I'd say it was mainly AT&T. Everyone knew who AT&T was, what they did, and had to deal with them at least once daily.

Also, Diet Pepsi managed to keep that logo all the way to the "Gotta Have It" launch in 1992, which is kind of incredible.
  • Fun fact:

Ever heard of that obscure racing game, Jeff Gordon XS Racing? It's sponsored by Pepsi, and one of the levels features a giant fucking version of that older Pepsi logo as part of the track-you drive through the curvy middle white part.
    ^^What was so bad about the AS/400?

^Ooh, cool!
    AU: It's not so much that it was bad, per se (I understand it's actually a really powerful, Java-like architecture)...it's just that, much like with most of what IBM was doing around 1985, it was either years ahead of its time, or was old technology that seemingly didn't have a practical use. AS/400 was in the first category along with things like the RT PC. Mainframes were in the second, but it was the Internet (really) that brought those back.
    Not only that, most of these things were of no interest to everyday users. IBM's public face was the PC, and the clones were stealing its thunder motherboard by motherboard.
  • edited 2013-02-05 22:36:06
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Oh...

Last night I had a thought: PepsiCo owning Nabisco

Hopefully they'd make Quaker put Oreo O's back into production for the U.S. market
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    I like Moxie
  • Speaking of JGXSR, I still have the CD...maybe I should dig it up...
  • edited 2013-02-05 22:52:35
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Investing in PepsiCo would be cool. You know why?

Because the fatter Americans get, the fatter your piggy bank gets too!
    I know it!
    It amuses me that "Sierra Mist" is obviously derived from "Mountain Dew"

That always amused me too.

I also found it bizarre that Sierra Mist has gone through like a half-dozen logos in little over a decade of existence.
  • ...Sierra Mist...Mountain Dew...I never realized that.

I'm a dumb.
    If ABC Inc buys PepsiCo, you need to make them start selling Orange Soda With Wheelchair Flavoring

I recommend the brand name "Orange Spin"
    ^^I only realized it yesterday.
    I realized it in 2004.

never thought about it until yesterday, honestly
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Anonus said:

You know what other PepsiCo design I don't like, and never have? The 2005-present Doritos packaging:

No style there.

Maybe they should just use their UK logo
    UK logo still smacks of consumer packaging bullshit (they made it look too shiny; ever notice how weird the logos of large consumer products tend to look outside of packaging?)
  • edited 2013-02-06 15:40:15
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The UK Doritos logo has been around forever. Or, at least, I can't remember when it was different.
  • Anonus said:

No style there.

Ir does have a bit of a 360 NOSCOPE CRUNCH SHOT flavor to it.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-02-06 20:11:01
    Ah, Dorítos, the brand with a bad case of identity crisis. Wonderful advertising (yes, I like Dorítos ads, they're funny) but terrible packaging.

It's weird, I can't help but wonder if they keep the 2005 packaging around intentionally to give the brand the same cheeky vibe it has in the US ads.
    I don't really watch TV these days so my exposure to Doritos commercials is minimal.

...is it the "companion" to Mountain Dew in the same manner that Lay's is the companion to Pepsi?
  • In an awkward roundabout way, yes. Both are obsessed with the 18-34 male demographic and fill a niche not fully catered to by their respective sister products. Not to mention the tonnes of promotional flavours.

However, I'd say Doritos is probably the more mainstream one compared to Mtn Dew, which is understandable considering that one of them is (relatively) actively marketed and is wildly popular with dudebro types, and it isn't Doritos.
  • Anonus said:

I don't really watch TV these days so my exposure to Doritos commercials is minimal.

...is it the "companion" to Mountain Dew in the same manner that Lay's is the companion to Pepsi?

Geoff Keighley thinks so.
    You know, this is a corporate crush that makes me feel guilty

Why am I obsessed with a peddler of sodas and junk foods

Yeah, they have Tropicana and some of the Quaker products to even it out but still

...would Gatorade (incidentally, the reason they bought out Quaker) count for good or bad?
    ...I'll bite. Is there even a corporate crush that wouldn't make you feel guilty?
    Scripps Networks Interactive, maybe?

I mean, Paula Deen hid having diabetes for years while continuing to peddle unhealthy recipes but she wound up learning the error of her ways...

I've felt guilty about Discovery Communications because they own TLC...
  • ...I'll bite. Is there even a corporate crush that wouldn't make you feel guilty?

AnonAve!
    I've made up Anonymous Avenue Investments before but I've never had any idea what to use it for (it could easily be real) and CA has an aversion to capitalism