Phones

edited 2013-01-29 21:24:18 in General
Bunch of crumby flit things that prevent people from actually having a little intellectual conversation. I wonder what old Alexander Graham Bell would think? Phones kill me, they really do.

Comments

• It's kind of funny how little I use my phone to make calls anymore.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Same here. I tend to think of it more as a handheld internet device than an actual phone most of the time.

Doesn't help that I have a crippling fear of phone calls, I suppose...
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I still use my phone to call people I'm comfortable talking on the phone to (which is quite a few people, considering how shy I am usually).
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i am old fashioned.

i phone more than i text, and the only other thing i use my phone for is an alarm clock.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I like how everyone missed the joke.

Which makes sense because it was kind of esoteric.
    'crumby flit' couldn't not be a reference because you don't speak like that but i don't know
  • a8 said:

i am old fashioned.

i phone more than i text, and the only other thing i use my phone for is an alarm clock.

Same here. I mean, I don't really like talking on the phone either (there are few people who can keep me on the phone for more than 5 minutes and exceedingly few who I can actually hold a conversation on the phone for any sufficent length of time.), but I still prefer phone calls to texting. Except when it's my mother calling to make sure I made it home from college safely everyday. Then texting is preferable.
  • I text and call with my smartphone

*smug*
  • I do so much with my imaginary phone you would not believe.
  • spinor said:

It's kind of funny how little I use my phone to make calls anymore.

Phones in general seem to be used for phone calls less often anymore.

I mean I prefer calling, but most people don't even pick up the phone anymore unless it's a text message.

• Talking on the phone is awkward and scary when I'm not familiar with the person on the other end.

My mother despises the fact that this prevents me from wanting to do such simple things as order pizza but I can't really help it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Talking on the phone is awkward and scary when I'm not familiar with the person on the other end. My mother despises the fact that this prevents me from wanting to do such simple things as order pizza but I can't really help it.

I can sympathize. When I was your age my mother and I would argue for hours on pizza nights because I would refuse to make the call.

Eventually I always gave in, because she'd go "well then we'll just have pb&j" and my siblings would get all mad at me and it sounds pathetic but this is mildly traumatic to even think about >_<
    ...is this thread actually about the Internet?
  • Sorry about that, CA.

If only online ordering came a few years earlier, both you and I wouldn't have to deal with it quite as much.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

Talking on the phone is awkward and scary when I'm not familiar with the person on the other end. My mother despises the fact that this prevents me from wanting to do such simple things as order pizza but I can't really help it.

I can sympathize. When I was your age my mother and I would argue for hours on pizza nights because I would refuse to make the call.

Eventually I always gave in, because she'd go "well then we'll just have pb&j" and my siblings would get all mad at me and it sounds pathetic but this is mildly traumatic to even think about >_<
    hee hee

CA's old
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I mostly use my phone to receive calls. The only way you can get me to make a phone call is through deadly threats.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

Same here. I tend to think of it more as a handheld internet device than an actual phone most of the time.

Doesn't help that I have a crippling fear of phone calls, I suppose...

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Also, Calendar and MP3 player.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Nobody got the joke.
    We got the joke; we just chose to ignore it. :P
  • Tre said:

Talking on the phone is awkward and scary when I'm not familiar with the person on the other end.

My mother despises the fact that this prevents me from wanting to do such simple things as order pizza but I can't really help it.

grubhub is your new best friend
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-06-22 01:45:04
    I've seen commercials for that, though I haven't used it yet

It looks rad as hell though :D
  • I learned about it back as an undergrad.  It is indeed rad as hell.