Birth

edited 2013-01-08 17:47:14 in General
in this thread, you'll be reading one of my acclaimed short stories.

as it isn't originally in english, be patient. and be gentle, i'm translating it on-the-spot, so I might make some mistake.

Comments

• edited 2013-01-08 17:47:36
    Day #4:
    –Why are you always alone?
    –...I don't really enjoy being with others.
    –But you enjoy spending whole days locked up in your room?
    –...I also don't enjoy that. It's just a matter of getting used to it.
    –I can tell you're not happy with that just by looking. Lying won't make reality any less painful.
    –...

And from here on I can't get anything else from her. Ever since she started living in the room I died, I've been trying to be conversative, but it's so hard. She seems to have a reply limit! They say loners can talk a lot, but I'm not sure anymore
  • edited 2013-01-08 17:54:15
    Day #7:

–Your mother is calling you.
    –Hm.
    –Aren't you gonna answer?
    –What day is it today?
    –The eleventh
    –Then I'm not answering her.
    –I don't get it.
    –...
    –Explain it
    –...

Maybe she isn't ignoring me, she just becomes unable to see me. Hear me, whatever. Save for the part where it doesn't work like that, it makes total sense. But what kind of person is that good at ignoring someone? I spend about three hours asking, joking, commenting and she doesn't even twitch. You have a ghost for a roommate and doesn't even ask about the Other World or if there's a God? What's wrong with you?
  • edited 2013-01-08 18:02:52
    Day #11:

–What do you like reading?
    –I don't really have favorite genre... I get anything that catches my interest.
    –I liked romances.
    –Weren't you a boy?
    –Yes. They asked me the same thing when I was still kicking, but I never cared. Who'd know what do when flirting? That's right, the romance-reading boy.
    –Which one was your favorite?
    –Awaken the Earth. Beautiful, gorgeous, emotional. Cried more than I should had.
    –I'll see if I can find it.

This went strangely well. A book covers her face, but I'm pretty sure she's smiling. I could feel it in her voice, it was softer than usual. Maybe the thing isn't talking, but what we're talking about. And she said she'd look for it? Does she want to talk about it with me? Nah, she probably just wants to read something good.
  • Day #12:

–Your mother is calling.
    –What day is it today?
    –The sixteenth.
    –Tch
    –What does that mean, what's gonna happen?
    –I gotta feed my dad.
    –Why?
    –...

Her face takes a painful expression, so I decide to respect it and ask no more. I follow her to the kitchen, where she picks a pot containing some kind of soup and a spoon. And then she walks to room distant from the kitchen, distant from everything. Depressingly distant. Slow and quietly, she opens the door to some kind of living room, but there's only a fireplace and a man sitting in a... wheelchair. "hi dad", she whispers, her eyes filled with sorrow. There... There would be no beauty in watching that.
  • Day #17:

Don't you miss outdoors? Or, as I like to call it, the beyond-room?
    A little. 
    How about going to school? A change of environment might cheer you up.
    Maybe...

She's been quite receptive recently Maybe she noticed I'm a nice guy and decide to open up. Or maybe her loneliness has grown so strong she'll take shelter anywhere. I wish I could read minds.
  • edited 2013-01-08 18:26:28
    Day #20:

–Hey, aren't ya Carrot? 
    – Some students gathered around her seat as soon as first period was over, the one talking appears to be the leader. – What happened, lost your capability of coming to school?
    –...
    –Hello hello, is anyone there? – Said one of the others, knocking on her forehead.
    –You know how it is, don't ya? The offspring of a veggie is also a veggie.

They all laugh. She doesn't even move. Her heart doesn't throb, her face doesn't turn red. She travelled to another world. I've punched three of them eight times, but, at most, one felt a goosebump. Damn it all.
    Four hours. That's how long she endures all of that. People write things like "Human-Carrot", "Carroty" and "Veggirl" on her belongs. Ironically, the cafeteria had a set of carrot-related foods for sale. When she leaves school, a few students run by her and throw said food on her face. She threw herself on her bed as soon as she got to her room.

–I'm sorry. I had no idea.
    –It's okay, I knew it'd be like this and went anyway.
    –Why do they treat you that way, what did you do?
    –Nothing. 
    –Then...
    –I'm just an easy target.
    –...Teenagers are pure evil.

I spend the night pondering about that, so we end up not talking at all. Though I do notice she took an excessively long shower and instead of picking up a book and reading for a while, she goes straight to sleep.
  • Day #22:

–Hey.
    –You, starting a conversation? How rare.
    –Don't you think Marina exaggerated on Lotus' punishment?
    –Haha, yes. Well, it kinda makes sense once you're aware that...
    –That...?
    –You'll get there.
    –But now I'm curious.
    –I wasn't aware you were capable of such a thing.
    –...
    –Talking about Marina and Lotus, what's your name?
    –...

Did I make our relationship take a step back? Or maybe she's countering the curiosity move. What is kinda like her, so it's probably the right answer.
  • Day #24:
    –Your mother said you should stop chatting with imaginary friends and go shopping.
    –Hm.
    –Do you... never talk to each other?
    –Yes.
    –When I was younger, my father fell down quite a few stairs because of me. That's why he's like that now. Ever since that happened, she doesn't look me in the eyes.
    –...How much younger?
    –Eight or seven.
    –So you've spent ten years without having a real conversation with your mother?
    –I guess.

Her mother hates her, her father doesn't even know he's alive. With this kind of family, it's no surprise her life is reading books. She never shows her grief... because there never was anyone who'd listen. But I'm here now, you could talk with me! You can lean on my shoulder and cry if you want to.
  • Day #27:
    –You're crying. You're really crying...
    –Lotus is a hero. My hero.
    –Our hero.
    –I wished he stayed with Alice9. I feel like she was the only girl who truly loved him. – She says while wiping off her tears, an almost identical mirror image of me when I first read it.
    –I can't believe it! I think so too! I've read it eight times and their love always felt the most real.

For the first time, she looks straight at me. Twenty-seven days together and this is the first time our gazes meet. It's pretty funny when you think about it. We discuss the book until 2AM when, despite bravely fighting it, falls asleep.
  • Day #28:
    –Did you have a girlfriend?
    –Not really. The flirts you get from a romance don't work on real life. Real girls want something else.
    –Hm.

That last night seems to have made us friends, she has been starting conversations as often as I have, recently. And not only to discuss books, she sometimes, as you've just witnessed, asks about my personal late life.
  • edited 2013-01-08 18:48:56
    Day #30:
    –I'd be your girlfriend.
  • Day #35:
    –I may be dead, but some things are still shocking.
    –I didn't think exploding into ectoplasm and turning into ooze stains on the walls was true.
    –I also didn't know. And would like to not have found out it is.
    –Hm.
    –Are you aware dating a ghost is unheard of?
    Ghost.
    –...One condition, if you're serious about it.
    –...
    –Go out with me once a week. Let's go for a walk, living in this room won't do you any good.
    –...
    –And you do know being a ghost really limits contact with you. We won't be able to do a lot of couple stuff.
    –People can have sex with someone they don't know, I can not have sex with my boyfriend. – Too straightforward for me.
    –I... get what you mean, despite it not making any sense. Alright, I'll be your boyfriend.

She gives me a smile and goes back to reading. I want to think about this some more, so, save for a few commentaries, the day ends without any other development.
  • Day #42:
    –It's here.
    –A park? I was expecting some beautiful landscape or somewhere a little more romantic.
    –Nah, that ain't us.

She sees a swing and decides to play with it, but as soon as she takes her first step towards it, something hits her on the head and drives it to the ground at full speed. A football. A teen about her age comes to get it, a preoccupied expression on his face and, a few meters behind him,  more teens waiting for him to come back.

–I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I got too excited and... Oh. –He picks the ball up and runs back to his friends. – Dun worry, it was only Carrot. She prolly didn't even feel it..

The others burst out laughing and soon return to play. She sits on her knees, her face and hair dirty with mud, some blood streaming down her forehead. A small, triangular rock sticking out the ground, exactly where her head hit. She went down so fast even something so small managed to cut her.

–It's my fault. Again.
    –...

She cleans as much of her face as she can on her shirt's sleeve and returns home. Second time I make her go out, second time I make her suffer. Maybe I should stop thinking making her more social would improve her life. Maybe having me and books is all she needs.
  • Day #43:
    Of all this time I've been dead, yesterday was the first time I felt like sleeping. Thus, it was the first time I had a dream. I dreamt I was a real boy who stood by her side. When that teen hit her and ran off laughing, I hit him. All his friends came at me and gave me a beating afterwards. At night, she took care of my wounds and commented on how unnecessary that was. I real man doesn't accept such feats, to which she didn't reply as she felt asleep.
    I'd tell her about this dream, but it wouldn't give off a good impression. Of course I'd have what it takes to be beaten in a dream, but nothing guarantees I'd do that in real life. Convenient illusions only make things worse
  • Day #47:
    –Your mother is crying.
    –What day is it today?
    –Crying. I said crying, not calling.

She stands,  hesitantly walks towards the door and headbutts it. She doesn't need to hear it from her mother, she doesn't need to hear it from me, she doesn't need to confirm it. She knows. Her body can feel it. The burden on her soul triplicates in weight. I try to hug and hold her, but there's no way, her body trembles and falls to the ground. As if frozen, she lies there until she falls asleep.
  • Day #48:
    –It's for the best, right? This way he can move on. He is no longer trapped in a dead body.
    –You idiot.
    –...
    –Don't you get it? It's fine to cry at this kind of situation! The more you deny your heart, heavier your burden will grow!

Ever since I died, I've had the chance to do many things for the first time. You'd never guess, but a dead person has more possibilities than a living one. The dead can't enjoy most of them to the fullest, though. This was the first time for two things: Making a girl cry and yelling at a girl. She grabs her pillows, surrounds herself with blankets and screams. For all those years of silent suffering, for all the times she rejected reality, she cries. It's like watching a dam break, except sadder.
  • Day #50:

–I gotta do a thing.
    –Huh?
    –See ya around.

I can feel her desperate glance without even turning around. She throws the book away and tries to stop me from going through the ceiling, but, not only she couldn't reach me, I happen to be immaterial. I can hear her screaming, and those screams are like swords piercing my heart. But no problem, it'll be worth it. I'm sure.
  • Day #52:
    –I'm back.
    –...
    –Actually, we're back. – She closes her book and tries to gaze at me with anger, but her anger becomes sadness, which soon becomes tears.
    –My daughter... It's been to long.
    –Dad, I...! I...! – Her body lost all of its strenght, she tries to stand and get near us, but is unable to.
    –There is no need to apologize. You also dealt with great pain.
    –But you...!
    –Yes, I spent years yelling for help, spent years having to see the two most important women of my life with pain-filled faces... And could do nothing, could say nothing. –For each of his words, more and stronger tears fall down her face. – But this condition of mine cut you off from the outside world. Not even your mother could love you.
    –If I didn't... If only I...
    –My dear daughter, thinking about "if"s is useless. No matter how much you try to say it didn't, what happened, happened. – He floats down to her and envelops her with ghost arms. – I don't you to waste your life trapped in your room. Going out will hurt, but a secluded life hurts too.
    –D-dad... –She envelops him too. Phisically, they're not touching, but I'm sure their hearts... mentally and spiritually, are, indeed, hugging each other.

The fatherly love he was unable to give until now was handed at this moment. All the tears and sorrows left on her flow down her face and go down the drain of life. The weight on her wings has been taken off, she can finally grasp her own future now. This, however, is only a visit. If I hadn't gotten on my knees and begged, he'd be in Heaven right now. Before finally going into Paradise, he dragged me into a private conversation at the rooftop.

–Thank you. The two of us needed that.
    –Hm.
    –It must not mean a lot to you... But you have my blessing.
    –... Thanks.
    –You're a funny kid. I won't look down on you for getting emotional, there's no need to hold your tears in. 
    –... Ghosts don't cry.
    –Hahaha, oh yeah. Then, goodbye! Be happy together with my daughter.

I wave. As soon as he disappears, I go back to her room. She is fast asleep. Even though it's useless, I lay down by her side and hug her. No throbs on a heart, no heat exchange...
  • Day #55:
    –How does it feel to be a ghost?
    –It's like being in a pool for a long time, floating, your eyes closed. You're conscious, your body moves, but... you feel nothing. You're just there.
    –Is it good?
    –...

Is it? Yes, I have experienced many new things, seen history move, but was never there. It's like having all the money in the world in one cent coins. You have it all, but what's the point, you'll never bother to use them. Being a ghost isn't something someone like me can enjoy.
  • Day #57:

Ghosts don't cry. Ghosts don't hug you. Ghosts don't get scared, ghosts don't protect you, ghosts don't hold you when you're falling, ghosts don't carry you on their back when you're tired, ghosts don't help you stand up,  ghosts don't clean your face when it's dirty, ghosts don't hold your hand when you need it, ghosts don't take you for walks.
  • Day #59:
    –What's your name?
    –Fara.
    –Hahaha!
    –What? It isn't that weird...
    –My name is Way.
    –Haha?
    –Fara and Way. Faraway. Distant.
    –... It's not funny.
  • Day #60:
    –Fara, I'm gonna reincarnate.
    –What?!
    –To become real, to become someone who can kiss you when you wake up, someone able to give you warmth... I'll end my own existence and start a new one
    –How am I supposed to know you're back?
    –In fifteen or fourteen years... You'll know it. My body will change, but my soul will stay the same. Yours will recognize mine, your own body will tell you.
    –But in fifteen in years I'll be in my thirties!
    –I won't mind, the same way you didn't me being a fake life.
    –Way!
    –Fara, thank you very much.
    –Hahahahaha!
    –Did you think I wouldn't catch the reference just because I've only read it once?
    –...
    –Awaken the Earth's final chapter, Lotus saying goodbye to Marina. I have a great memory when it comes to climaxes.
    –Fara...
    –I know! Someone who steals flirts from books would probably steal goodbyes from books too!

As she screams, she doesn't even notice the tears streaming down. Her faces turns pinkish, her lips try to form a word that doesn't come out. In these two months, I've seen lots of her expressions. Disgust, anger surprise, sorrow, cherish. A wide emotional spectrum.

–I know, Fara. I love you too.

Remember how I said being a ghost is like floating in a pool? At this moment, my soul dissipates. My consciousness spreads to the whole world, the pool breaks and becomes the ocean. I am every human in the planet and their feelings are me. For a few seconds, the whole planets thinks of their loved ones. For a brief moment, everyone can feel my heart's warmth, including, after so long, myself.
  • Day #5535:
    It's been too long since I last read anything, so I figured it was time for me to indulge myself by visiting different realities. To accomplish that mission, I went to a library close to my home. But I didn't expect to see this many books, it's impossible to pick something.
    –Need any help?
    –Yea, I'd like to read something, but there's so many choices... – Wow, congratulations me. Great job at being an idiot, A+.
    –That usually happens, what do you like?
    –I don't know... I'd like something romantic, a love story that isn't all sugary. Something with an overall great story, but the conclusion revolves around the protagonist's love. –As if hit by an arrow, the woman takes a serious expression. – Does... that make any sense to you?
    –It makes perfect sense. A love story, but not entirely about love. Follow me, I know what you want. – She holds my hand and walks me to the reception desk.
    –Oh, do you work here?
    –Yes. I've always enjoyed reading, so instead of secluding myself with books, I decided to make a living together with them.
    –There's beauty in that. – She laughs a little and carefully hands me a book that was on her chair.
    –This is yours, isn't it? I can tell it's different from the others.
    –Yes, it is very precious to me.
    –I can't take it, then...
    –I trust you, you can take it. With one condition.
    –Yes...?
    –When you're done reading, come back here and discuss it with me.
    –S-sure. – My heart skips some beats, even my skin warms up. Her age is way beyond mine, but... I can't help but notice how beautiful she is.

Embarassed and somewhat ashamed of myself, I take the book and run off. Still smiling, she waves to me, but my nervousness keeps me from replying to it. Only managed to stop running after turning on the street's corner, sweaty, tired, shaking. I'm used to running, but for some reason this little sprint was too much for my body. I rushed so much I ended up forgetting to read the title.

–Awaken the Earth? Funny, it sounds familiar. Have I read it already and can't remember?

End.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    BUT WHAT HAPPENED ON THE MISSING DAYS?!