Naney wants to know about your local (music) radio stations

edited 2012-12-14 19:47:19 in General
A while back there was like a music discussion, and Lazuli mentioned that the rock station in his area only played 80's sorta stuff, which I found pretty surprising.

So I've gotten kinda curious, what can you find on your dial?

Around here:

93X: Metal/Hard rock station, has moved into more hard rock (Mostly crappy post-grunge) as of late so I stopped listening, but before that there was a lot of Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Tool, Disturbed, that sorta alt-metal thing you get my drift, with some rather strange odds and ends that somehow ended up on heavy rotation including a few Beck singles, She Blinded Me With Science & You Gotta Fight For Your Right To Party

89.3 the Current: Metric fucktons of Indie Rock, including waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much DeVotchKa (*Like 3 FUCKING DEVOTCHKA SONGS AN HOUR*), also lots of local Hip-Hop too, Atmosphere, Bother Ali, Eyedea & Abilities ect.

103.1 JACK FM: A rather odd station, playing mainly 90's alt rock with some 80's pop, low on adds, and strangely enough no DJ

88.5 Jazz 88: For some reason I can never get this station to tune in, but presumably they play jazz.

92 KQRS: Classic Rock, nothing special

94.5 KS95 & KDWB 101.3: Top 40

Cities97: Light alternative whatever, snoozefest

K102: Country (Presumably pop country, but I've never tuned in)

Love 105: Adult Contemporary/Oldies

Kool 108: Oldies

there's also a more commercial hip-hop station, but IDK what it is. But they play Soulja Boy like all the time so I'm not eager to find out

Comments

• edited 2012-12-14 19:59:02
    I don't know much about my local stations, but I do have one my mother always played when she took me to school.

"Star 102.1" They're somewhat infamous for always playing the same few songs over and over again. In the mornings they have what's called "Mark and Kim and Frank in the Morning" (i remember when it was just mark and kim hmph) which mainly consists of celebrity gossip and other asinine stuff like that.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Columbus, Ohio

92.3 WCOL: Country, and definitely one of the poppier country stations in the area.

Oldies 93.3: Self-explanatory. Began playing Christmas music before election day.

94.7 "Sunny 95": Adult contemporary. The other big Christmas music station, with slightly better selections (if you like Christmas music.)

95.5 "The Hawk": Country.

96.3 "QFM 96": Classic rock. One of the longest-running formats around here.

WNCI 97.9: Top 40. Probably the most well-known radio station in the city. Broadcasts with 3.5 times the power currently allowed by the FCC (they were grandfathered in) and as such is one of few stations available in underground parking garages and the like.

99.7 The Blitz: A generic Rock station. not much to say.

101.1 "Classical 101FM": self-explanatory. Operated by The Ohio State University.

CD102.5: Alternative. Previously "CD101", used to broadcast on 101.1 before donating that frequency to OSU.

Rewind 103.5 and 104.3: '80s nostalgia format with a bit of '90s thrown into the mix. Co-owned with Sunny 95.

105.7 The Brew: Classic Rock

106.7 "Gen-X Radio": An alternative station that people who like alternative music don't listen to because it's owned by corporate giant Clear Channel Communications.

Power 107.5: Hip-hop, with some other Top 40 hits occasionally thrown in.

Mix 107.9: Adult Contemporary. Co-owned with Sunny 95 and Rewind.

There's also at least one other hip-hop station, but I can't remember what its frequency is because I don't listen to it. It's not very good, you see.
  • 98.7 Modern Country, 90's Country, Creedance Clearwater Style music, Classic Rock

87.5 Really Old Country (Stuff you would hear on Fallout essentially)

101.5 Paul Harvey and 90's Pop Music

We dont' get much good radio stations due to the mountains.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-12-14 23:02:10
    Raleigh has a ton of them but there's not too many interesting ones. (Also I'm fairly sure there's no EDM station. Grrrrr.)

91.5: WUNC. NPR and PRI. Owned by the University system of NC.

96.1: Radio 96.1. Formerly known as 96rock, was a traditional rock station but dropped most of the jock aspect recently. Still plays rock. Owned by Curtis Media.

97.5: K97.5, "your #1 for hip-hop and r&b". Plays the Russ Parr Morning Show every day but Sundays. Has an alright collection of stuff, though they do tend to be a bit late on underground rap; OF is nowhere to be found here, nor A$AP Rocky. They do play Frank O. nowadays though. Owned by Radio One.

102.3 and 102.5: Pulse 102, a double top-40 style station. My personal favorite because sometimes they throw in some variety in the programming. Also owned by Curtis Media.

103.9: The Light. Plays black gospel, my mother listens to it a lot. Yolanda Adams Morning Show on weekdays. Owned by Radio One.

104.3 and 107.5: Foxy 107-104, a smooth adult r&b/soul station. Tom Joyner in the mornings. Also owned by Radio One.

105.1: G105. Probably the most popular station in Raleigh, has top 40 stuff. Much more predictable than Pulse; one can listen for an hour and know the entire day's playlist, in order. Also has a pretty funny down home boy morning show, Bob and the Showgram. Owned by ClearChannel.
  • I have never heard of an EDM station in the states.
  • I'll start one. :P

Still. There might be one in some huge city though. New York, maybe.
  • Or Detroit maybe
  • 96.1: Generic as fuck country station. They play pop-country (Kenny Chesney, etc., often even Taylor Swift) and most of it really does not agree with me. They used to have old-school country segments late at night where they'd play Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson and stuff, but I don't think they do that anymore. 

96.5: "Urban" station that operates out of Philadelphia. Mostly poppish rap and R&B. They play harder (and better) stuff on Saturdays. Lately they really seem to like playing Chief Keef's "I Don't Like".

99.9 The Hawk: This is the one that plays "classic rock". Their definition of classic is very strange. It's mostly eighties hair metal with occaisonal appearances by Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple. Then sometimes they'll play a bunch of grunge songs in a row.

100.7 WLEV: Softer pop station that plays stuff stretching back to the eighties mixed with more recent stuff. A decent station if you like Billy Joel and other classic pop acts. Currently though, it's all Christmas music.

101.1 B101: Another classic pop station that sometimes reaches as far back as the sixties. Most of it is from the 70s and 80s though.

102.3: Used to be a jazz station that mostly played smooth stuff with some other styles on different nights of the week. Was very, very briefly (and awesomely) a world music station that played stuff like Transglobal Underground (the band) and the like. Nowadays, it's dead air with the occasional weird noise on it if you're listening via shortwave.

104.1 B104: Modern pop station. Sometimes they play a little bit of rap (mostly Eminem's hits) or pop-dance (Skrillex is popular later at night, so are trance-inspired remixes of other songs) too. Has a really awful Ryan Seacrest-hosted segment on Fridays that used to be a pretty decent top 40 countdown before he came in and ruined it with his awfulness.

106.1: Dance music station. They have a really odd selection of stuff that seems to depend on the day of the week and specific time, but we can never get the station to tune in well enough to really listen. They used to play 80s rap music on Tuesdays but have stopped doing so.

107.9: Another modern pop station, also has a lot of talkshows that I don't listen to because it's all stupid tabloidy stuff. Shares the same Ryan Seacrest segmant B104 does.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    94.7 Alternative Portland: Alternative, plays lots of new music, alternative hits, and a bunch of stuff constantly, like Nirvana, the Cure, certain Depeche Mode. No, I have no idea why they play Beck's "Loser" at least 20 times a day, but there you go.

101.9 Kink: Also alternative, but bit less focused on local bands. Something of a go-to station for me that I quickly abandon because I'm sick of Dave Mathews band.

105.9 The Brew: Mostly 80s + some 90s Hard rock. Because a similar station was the only non pop or country station back in my home town, I rarely stick on this one because I'm usually sick of whatever is playing.

94.7 Charlie usually an eclectic mix of hits from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Tends to lean more towards alternative than pop. Currently full of Christmas songs.

Also, I listen to NPR. Other than that, it's a mix of pop, hip hop, Christian rock, and country. There's also the classical station and a Jazz station. 
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Barrow in Furness

96.9FM aka The Bay

Everything that has had some kind of mainstream success from the 1950's to the now, also has football commentaries for either Fleetwood town or Morecambe.

96.1FM/839 AM aka BBC Radio Cumbria

The Local BBC station so it has a mix of music,magazine shows and football commentaries for both Carlisle (FM) and Barrow (AM)

97.4FM AKA Rock FM

A Manchester based radio station that plays mainly dance and trance tunes with some light rock stuff

103.1FM Aka Real Radio

Has a music selection similar to the Bay but doesn't do football commentaries 
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    88.5: WXPN, University of Pennsylvania. Eclectic but fairly "safe." A bit hipster-ish.

90.1: Can't remember the name. Plays a lot of jazz and light classical. Pleasant.

94.4: I think this is the number... More mainstream, but good track selection.

103.3: WPRB, Princeton. Lots of weird, esoteric stuff. Very eclectic. I love this station.

Otherwise, I don't care.