ein rant about internets

edited 2012-12-10 09:51:48 in Talk

I am pretty thoroughly annoyed with the world right now. As a general warning what follows is rather ranty and not really terribly logically constructed, so, read at your own risk.

Basically, I am tired of a lot of the internet. I don't know if it's that the internet has changed or I have, I frankly don't care enough to find out which of the two it is. But I am tired of people being stupid, and I'm tired of the people who are smart being smug assholes. I'm tired of being expected to back up every opinion I have with an essay's worth of logical loop-de-loops that don't convince anyone of anything anyway, yet being called an asshole when I respond to other peoples' rants with dismissive comments. I am tired of people bitching about their lives, because I can't help them and I'm tired of being hypocritical by constantly bitching about my own life, which none of you nor anyone else on the internet can help me with. I'm tired of every conceivable "fandom" being taken so damn seriously and I'm tired of being accused of taking things too seriously whenever I want to think about a work beyond "I likez it lol :DDD". I am tired of trolling, and I am tired of people bitching about trolling that doesn't happen, and I am certainly tired of "troll" being worn as a badge of honor. I am tired of everyone constantly getting mad about stupid bullshit and I am tired of constantly being mad at stupid bullshit. I am tired of people who will beat a dead horse for months and I am tired of the dead horses being there in the first place to beat.

Ugh.

I just feel sick anymore. This site is honestly one of the few places on the internet I can go anymore that doesn't make me want to puke at least 80% of the time. So, thanks for that I guess. I'm just really angry at all of this and I don't know what to do about it. I'm not even sure if I'm making any sense.

Tagged:

Comments

• It's OK, Lazuli. It's OK to get stressed out and write something ranty about life on the internet. It's not the most admirable thing to do, but it's something all of us do. You'll probably regret it in the morning, though, so be warned.
  • Then you'll regret it at least 12 hours from now, I guess.
  • edited 2012-12-10 12:12:48
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I'm pretty tired of the "if you respond to this you're an asshole, if you don't respond you're also an asshole" mentality I've been seeing lately, myself.

I don't know if the Internet's changed significantly, but I can understand getting sick of it sometimes.  Maybe you just need a break?
  • I don't really have anything else to do with my time, though. Is the thing.
  • yeah get out of the internet for a while. the internet sucks.

doesnt matter where you live there will be something to do with your time that isnt internet

• I don't get why people don't believe me when I tell them I live in a town with nothing to do in it.

There's a bowling alley which is closed for the season.

And a library that has bizarre hours (they close at 2PM most days, which, given that I work night shift, is often after I wake up)

s'about it. I don't really have any friends to hang out with either.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Oh, yeah, I can see how that is pretty limiting.

You can try to cut out the sites that are bothering you the most, I suppose.  Devote more time to hobbies and such?
  • I guess.

I've been trying to get more serious with music lately but I alternate between loving and hating what I'm working on so progress has been slow. I also want to try out this Danmakfu thing.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The internet is pretty horrible. Basically why I limit myself to just a few sites, usually.
  • > I'm tired of every conceivable "fandom" being taken so damn seriously
    and I'm tired of being accused of taking things too seriously whenever I
    want to think about a work beyond "I likez it lol :DDD".

Sounds like you hang out in the wrong places. :P  Well, to be fair, they may be hard to find, but they're out there.  For example, there's the Caves of Narshe, which is a really nice place to discuss Final Fantasy stuff if you're into well-reasoned, thoughtful discussion about the games.  (As a bonus, I'm a member there.)

I can see how working a night shift would totally screw with your ability to do anything mainstream though.
  • I can see how working a night shift would totally screw with your ability to do anything mainstream though.
    answer: Become a hipster
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

I can see how working a night shift would totally screw with your ability to do anything mainstream though.
    answer: Become a hipster
    Hipsters are just people who are ahead of a curve.
  • Well, hey, SL, you could look at NGNG, it's an online fan community that doesn't suck, to my knowledge.
  • Well, hey, SL, you could look at NGNG, it's an online fan community that doesn't suck, to my knowledge.

what's it for?
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    > I'm tired of every conceivable "fandom" being taken so damn seriously
    and I'm tired of being accused of taking things too seriously whenever I
    want to think about a work beyond "I likez it lol :DDD".

Sounds like you hang out in the wrong places. :P  Well, to be fair, they may be hard to find, but they're out there.  For example, there's the Caves of Narshe, which is a really nice place to discuss Final Fantasy stuff if you're into well-reasoned, thoughtful discussion about the games.  (As a bonus, I'm a member there.)

I totally had one of those weird moments the other day where I stumbled upon Caves of Narshe and realized you were a member there

And I was like whoah, small internet
  • edited 2012-12-10 23:09:29
    ^^BattleTech/MechWarrior. Full name is No Guts No Galaxy.
  • Eh.

I'm not as into BattleTech as I used to be and have never actually played the original tabletop. Maybe I'll look into it, but idk.

• At least read Critical Hits, it's amusing as hell.