Official "I can't believe Thanksgiving is only a week away" thread

edited 2012-11-15 03:30:50 in General
So yeah.

I have no idea if my family even has any plans this year...this is the first year my uncle, aunt, and cousins live out-of-state and we've yet to hear whether they're planning to drive/fly down at all...

Comments

• We're skipping Thanksgiving this year. Everyone works, including my uncle (a police chief), who's usually the one who organizes everything.
  • Happy Russian not having to think about it ;)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Eh, Thanksgiving isn't that bad.

The REAL disgusting thing is...Black Friday...*shudder*
  • Never been Black Friday shopping
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The thing that gets me about Black Friday is that it's a blatantly obvious money grab on the part of retailers, but people indulge in it anyway.

I mean, holy fuck, know when to tell Corporate America to fuck off, people...
  • The thing that gets me about Black Friday is that it's a blatantly obvious money grab on the part of retailers, but people indulge in it anyway.

That said, I will confess I went with Dad last year to get a single item during a Black Friday sale.

The store 5 minutes from my house had the Kindle Mom wanted on sale for less than it cost on Amazon.com, and it came with a gift certificate we could use for groceries... >_>
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    My parents want to go to Black Friday, but it's mainly for stuff we actually need or have use of, not for "nice to haves". Like, my stepdad needs a new GPS because the old one is broken (Garmin nüvis have a design flaw where the solder in the USB connector fails over time, and I don't have the tools to fix it), and Walmart is selling a new one with lifetime maps for something ridiculous.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

The thing that gets me about Black Friday is that it's a blatantly obvious money grab on the part of retailers, but people indulge in it anyway.

This.

As for Thanksgiving, I am, I hope, doing absolutely nothing.
  • Awe, you are all hereby cordially invited to our Thanksgiving which we shall be hosting in our home this year.
    I haven't even started planning foods!
    I'll probably make a salad and some desserts and Justice will make his incredibly alcoholic cranberry sauce which I swear has more alcohol in it than cranberries *SHIFTY EYES*.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I'm not going to bother with Black Friday this year. I'm doing OK with my worldly possessions at the moment.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Awe, you are all hereby cordially invited to our Thanksgiving which we shall be hosting in our home this year.

I haven't even started planning foods!

I'll probably make a salad and some desserts and Justice will make his incredibly alcoholic cranberry sauce which I swear has more alcohol in it than cranberries *SHIFTY EYES*.
    "This cranberry sauce is really good. I'll slather some more on my turkey." collapses
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

I just posted this on facebook because people need to see it
  • Gonna see the Phoenix Intl. Auto Show, like usual. Day afterwards, I'm gonna go watch a production of A Christmas Carol.
  • fuck

i need to buy bus tickets
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    "I can't believe Thanksgiving is only a week away".
  • edited 2012-11-15 17:30:35
    The sadness will last forever.
    I know I'm to wait in line on Black Friday after Thanksgiving.

Gee, time passes really quickly.
  • Holy shit, it is?

Damn, it feels like just yesterday it was Halloween.

(On the topic of Black Friday)

I went last year with my cousins and brother to get something for my cousin's daughters. It was cold as fuck, but I had fun pushing my way through the crowds (now I know why people told me I should've joined the football team).

And, in case you're wondering (and even if you're not), the toy we were looking was an animatronic horse (called Buttercup or Butterball or something). And they played with it once (they enjoyed the box more, like I told my cousin they would).
  • Malph said:

Damn, it feels like just yesterday it was Halloween.
  • im going down to london for thanksgiving, which is confusing, because i dont live in america

whats black friday

• it's where people go to stores and are trampled to death for savings.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    sunn wolf said:

whats black friday

it's communism's one saving argument
  • sunn wolf said:

whats black friday

Boxing day.
  • sunn wolf said:

whats black friday

imagine every stereotype about American consumer culture

now imagine if they were all true.

That's Black Friday.

It's also a terrible album, but that's a different Black Friday.

• edited 2012-11-15 18:43:28
    BEEFCAKE
    Sorry, it's more like Boxing Day on it's monthly, on acid.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "Black Friday" is a really good Megadeth song.

Also, it's the day after Thanksgiving in the states. The biggest shopping day of the year. Consumerism gone completely over the edge. People die sometimes.

it's where people go to stores and are trampled to death for savings.

The last time I explained this to a British person, he thought I was joking. I had to look up an article showing it was true... :(

• edited 2012-11-15 19:34:59
    I'm just looking forward to the time off and a chance to see people I no longer get to see on a daily basis. And my school is pretty sweet and gives us and entire week off.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    My school still makes us come on Monday and Tuesday. :|
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

sunn wolf said:

whats black friday

Boxing day.
    Your African sister.

My school still makes us come on Monday and Tuesday. :|

My school makes us come on Wednesday as well.

I guess they figure since this is a community college we all live in town anyway and don't have to travel home for the holiday...still kind of annoying though.
  • Ah, Black Friday.

It's a seedy, seedy, moneygrubbing excuse of a holiday, but hell if that endorphin rush of getting to stuff first isn't fun for me.

I know that's horrible to say but still.
  • I was in Seattle last year during Black Friday. Most of my time was spent at Occupy Seattle but I did follow my brother a bit because he needed some stuff for Oxford as well as a haircut so he was taking advantage of the sales. It was a strange experience.
  • edited 2012-11-15 23:24:46
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Last year my online school didn't give us Thanksgiving Wednesday off... >:/
  • Ahh..correspondence courses; for my online high school I got time off depending on my schedule. Unfortunately, I couldn't time manage and mother didn't give me much time off for holidays.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I have friends coming back from college in a few days.

Cool business.
    Oh, I forgot to mention. Apparently my uncle's family is coming down for Thanksgiving.

And we've got less than a week to prepare!

How awesome. >_<