You should vote on Nov. 6th if you live in the United States!

edited 2012-11-04 07:29:45 in General
Because if you don't...I'll...I'll...use up this stack of napkins very quickly and eat this apple!...or something.

Seriously, though, you should vote.  And not just in the presidential race--there are lots of highly-competitive U.S. Senate, U.S. House, and state senate and state house/assembly and municipal elections going on, and many of them are located outside the so-called "swing states", yet it's these swing seats at are going to be really determining the balance of power in the Senate and House.

And why is this important?
* The U.S. Senate and U.S. House are important because that's where major changes to legislation--such as new laws or revisions to existing ones--happen.  No one else can change national policy wholesale; the president can only slightly tweak how the current laws are implemented.
* The state legislatures and municipal governments are all about local policies--stuff that's happening in your own neighborhood.  Plus, they're the places where up-and-coming politicians usually get their start--you can expect to see some of them in high positions of power several years down the road, so they're where cool new people often show up...or where dastardly new jerks come on the scene.

As for who to vote for, I'm going to suggest voting for Democratic candidates (i.e. members of the Democratic Party, a.k.a. Democrats).  I mean, take a look at this chart from xkcd...and you'll see just how skewed the Republicans (especially those in the U.S. House of Representatives) are, toward far-right members (compare to how few far-left Democrats are).  They're seriously nuts.  Especially when claiming things like how there's a thing called "legitimate" rape that never produces pregnancy.

Also, I can't figure out Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's positions on anything; he keeps changing them.

But anyway, you should vote.  If you haven't already done so.
Tagged:

Comments

• edited 2012-11-04 11:27:41
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    This is why I won't vote Republican these days; they're just too cozy with the far right for my liking. As for the Presidential candidates that are on the ballot in Virginia, I'd be most comfortable with voting Democrat or Green, since I'm a pinko lefty like that. One thing I've noticed while looking at the candidates' planks is that none of them, not a one, seem to like NAFTA. Even the Greens dislike it!
  • edited 2012-11-04 11:35:19
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Another thing I've noticed is that almost all of the candidates' websites get right to the point on the issues...except Romney's. I can't make heads nor butts of his. :P And when he does make sense, the message is "I'M NOT OBAMA DAMMIT".
  • Vote on the sixth? Glenn, I'm not some democratic republic serial villain. I voted thirteen days ago.

Also, if you or someone you know is a registered NJ voter displaced by Hurricane Sandy, you can send in your vote by email.
  • I would like to take this opportunity to encourage you to vote for Vermin Supreme.

A vote for Vermin Supreme is a vote completely thrown away.

Remember to vote early and vote often.
  • Haha, I remember that guy.

Would vote for him if he were running and the election weren't close.
  • Obama/Kaine/Connolly!
  • I've voted!

Oh yeah, vote no on Proposed Constitutional Amendment #1.
  • I voted for Rocky Anderson, the far left guy. My vote probably won't do much good, but at least I voted for someone I believed in.
  • I VOTED

FIRST TIME EVAR

FOR OBAMA

Because mittens is an asshole.

also i voted for some other people and voted against the anti-gay-marriage amendment to the state constitution.
  • edited 2012-11-06 13:42:05
    Edit: Removing photos of my ballot, because they may be illegal under Virginia law.
  • Is Prop. 1 the defining marriage one or is that something else?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    If I wasn't banned from voting by order of every Supreme Court Chief Justice that the United States has ever had and will ever have, I'd vote for third parties, because the current power structure makes it so only republicans and democrats can win.

As far as both republicans and democrats go, neither of them is willing to listen to the other, consider their opposition's viewpoints, or try to understand where their opponent is coming from.
  • How were you banned?
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    I'm pretty sure one of the criticisms of Obama was that he was too willing to listen to the GOP.
  • People expect him to be a wizard, I suppose.

He wasn't "too willing to listen to the GOP", he was too willing to make compromises, some of which worked, most of which did not. 

• edited 2012-11-06 13:50:26
    Also,
    [quote]As far as both republicans and democrats go, neither of them is willing
    to listen to the other, consider their opposition's viewpoints, or try
    to understand where their opponent is coming from.[/quote]

The problem with this is, starting with the fomenting of the Tea Party movement, the Republicans were just hell-bent on preventing any significant legislating, at all, in order to do two things: (1) cause government to become useless and cause the Dems in power to be blamed, and (2) not let through any legislation except if it conformed to their positions: specifically, not raising taxes and not increasing spending.

Getting anything done with this sort of opposition is like pulling teeth.  For the Dems, it became a game of either giving the Republicans concessions until they were sufficiently happy, or fighting back against them.
  • Hilariously, the emergence of the "vote third party" movement only makes this all the more difficult.

If there were ever a significant shift to make way for one or more additional parties, you can bet the exact same thing would happen. Most of the notable third parties are simply existing political platforms taken to extremism. Libertarians are what happen when you combine the worst aspects of the right and the left, and are probably the only exception to that.

• edited 2012-11-06 13:55:13
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Maybe if we had more parties of sufficient influence and power, problems like this wouldn't happen.  It would be a lot harder for one party to prevent all the other parties getting stuff done.

^ Why could there not be a moderate third party?
  • Because "moderate" is not a political position. It's a point between any two of them.

Obama is moderate.

That's why a lot of people are disappointed with Obama. It's also why he's vowed to become less moderate.

"Moderate" gets nothing done, is the main problem.

Maybe if we had more parties of sufficient influence and power, problems like this wouldn't happen. It would be a lot harder for one party to prevent all the other parties getting stuff done.

Why not ask a Dutchman how that works out sometime?

• People expect him to be a wizard, I suppose.

He wasn't "too willing to listen to the GOP", he was too willing to make compromises, some of which worked, most of which did not. 

"He had a hard time of it, go easy on him" isn't exactly a position to rally behind.
  • Maybe not, but I think "this guy can do better, the other is Lex Luthor" certainly is.

I honestly think Obama's done a good job given the mess that was handed to him. Others, of course, wanted Utopia by now.

• Maybe not, but I think "this guy can do better, the other is Lex Luthor" certainly is.

I honestly think Obama's done a good job given the mess that was handed to him. Others, of course, wanted Utopia by now.

I agree. It's just that other presidents have entered at more difficult times and been more successful. Overall, Obama has been a decent president.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

This. 

I don't think Obama's done too bad of a job either. His biggest obstacle this entire time in office was his own people, not the GOP. A year after his time in office I remembered the same people who voted for him were tearing into him and even calling him "worse than Bush."  Spike Lee was right, for the most part America really did expect him to come in and magically fix everything, and when he didn't they kicked him around for another year until they realized that the elections were creeping up again.  In the first two years of his office, the Democrats could have accomplished so much if they just played as an actual team and put results above their petty concerns but they wasted that and allowed the Republicans to come back in with a larger measure of control, just like back in the Clinton days.