Dungeons & Dragons & camouflaged creatures

edited 2012-11-02 20:17:59 in General
In a Dungeons & Dragons world, you'll find predators that disguise themselves as...

Treasure chests
Ceilings
Floors
Walls
Pillows
Swords
Houses that give birth to smaller buildings

So all I can wonder is... how many million years old would civilization have to be for these things to evolve?

Comments

• edited 2012-11-02 20:25:04
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Letting species evolve naturally, you say? Bah! We wizards scoff at that ridiculous notion! It's too slow, inefficient, and not nearly as fun as making your own creatures.

Speaking of which, would you like to see my newest experiment? It's a monster that disguises itself as a tea kettle!
  • Gilda said:

So all I can wonder is... how many million years old would civilization have to be for these things to evolve?

The question is not age, but the boredom of wizards.

(also, most of those creatures are deprecated by most DMs. You might run across a mimic once or twice in your entire gaming career)

• My dreams exceed my real life
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

The core races usually have some epic myth about how they
    came about courtesy of some god or another, but the stranger creatures where
    usually made because a wizard wanted to see if they could, or were tired of adventurers
    stealing their shit so they made shit that looked like the shit adventures like
    to steal and the adventures would instead be killed by the shit (that the
    wizards made...not the regular shit...)

• edited 2012-11-05 02:22:30
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^ Wow. Just think of how much racism there would be that's factual,

"WE were made by a god. You're inferior because you were just made by some wizard."
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Well, plenty of humans are created by mere humans.

You could make a claim to superiority on the basis that you were formed from magic and a creative intelligence rather than by mashing leaky bits of flesh together.
  • Gilda said:

^ Wow. Just think of how much racism there would be that's factual,

"WE were made by a god. You're inferior because you were just made by some wizard."

Someone's never read the Eberron setting book.