Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I don't know about you guys but I want steak.

The sequel to Snakes on a Plane didn't fare so well. 

Probably because the solution to all the movies problems was to get on a plane where there where no snakes.

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Justice42 said:

The sequel to Snakes on a Plane didn't fare so well. 

There should have been snakes on the helicarrier in Avengers.
  • edited 2012-10-13 19:03:33
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

For whatever reason, the thread title reminds of this:

$5,000 burger.

Probably ridiculous to some extent, but at least Hubert Keller uses the money on ingredients and isn't copping out by having people eat gold shavings or diamonds or something absurd. 
  • edited 2012-10-13 19:04:38

The burger isn't quite as pricey once you factor out the wine.

Agreed. I'm sure that wine itself is a few thousand dollars.
  • edited 2012-10-13 19:43:25
    BEEFCAKE
    The truffles - if they are the finest would be also be worth several hundred dollars.
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    Why do some people derive pleasure from the consumption of wealth? It is, most likely, because their dick is small. 
  • Well my gaping vagina wants a $5000 burger.
  • edited 2012-10-13 19:47:11

^^Eh, I think that might work if people where eating gold shaving or pearls, or precious stones, or what have you, but at least all the components are things people would actually eat.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Reminds me of the $1000 slice of caviar pizza I saw on a random Travel Channel show once.
  • KJIKJI
    I suppose that may be true, but the stomach of a rich person is not different from that of a non-rich person. If I were to defy societal norms and steal the burger, I doubt it would taste any different than if I bought it with money I stole. Maybe my guilt glands would secrete saliva that makes me feel terrible. I dunno much about saliva.
  • edited 2012-10-13 19:55:55

^^That doesn't bug me that much either, I mean, things are worth a certain amount based on rarity, demand, etc... Up to whoever has the scratch to spend if it's actually WORTH that much over say, the feeling they get for spending that money on helping the needy. 

Shit like this: 

Where You Can Find It: Serendipity 3 (Yes, the same place as the most expensive burger)

Price: $25,000

What Makes It So Expensive: The Frrrozen Haute Chocolate ice cream sundae contains a blend of 28 cocoas, including 14 of the most expensive in the world. It is decorated with edible gold and served in a goblet lined with edible gold. As if all that weren’t enough, there is an 18 karat gold bracelet with 1 carat of diamonds in the bottom of the sundae, and the treat is served with a golden spoon decorated in white and chocolate diamonds, both of which go home with the diner.

--brought to you by mental_floss! 

Bugs the HELL out of me.

I mean, I guess you get to keep the spoon, but how much money is being spent on gold that adds nothing to the taste and is just being crapped out.
  • KJIKJI
    Well, if a homeless man were to find the shit in a sewer, he could potentially pawn it in order to afford hand soap to wash his hands of the shit he dug through to get to the gold.
  • KJIKJI
    Capitalism.
  • KJI said:

Capitalism.

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    That and most of the price is in the jewelry and that fancy spoon. There's maybe a gram or so of gold in that ice cream, and it's not worth anywhere near $25,000. 
    Indeed, I did some poking around, and you can get an entire pack of edible gold leaf for around $70.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    high price food mmmmmmm :)

That and most of the price is in the jewelry and that fancy spoon. There's maybe a gram or so of gold in that ice cream, and it's not worth anywhere near $25,000. 
    I think what partially bugs me is people do these "most expensive meals" lists and someone spends $25,000, but they're not getting $25,000 worth of food, they're getting maybe a couple hundred dollars worth of food with a bunch of diamonds and gold and stuff.

I guess Hubert is kinda cheating as well with the wine, but at least it's something you're suppose to put in your mouth,
  • What the hell is edible gold anyway?

Also,
    > highest price ever paid for sushi
    > sushi
    > something fishy
    NO DUH
    GMH: Just what it sounds like: Food-grade (i.e. "no lead or whatever") gold leaf. Gold itself is non-toxic, so eating it won't hurt you.
  • So...it's physically possible to eat gold, and then since I'm pretty sure gold is just inert in the human body, after eating gold, you end up shitting gold.

Wow, that's stupid and pointless.
  • It also makes great fodder for "what, did you bet on the [YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SPORTS TEAM HERE]?" jokes.

14. The Most Expensive Sushi

Where You Can Find It: Request it From Filipino Chef Angelito Araneta Jr.

Price: $1,978.15 for five pieces

What Makes It So Expensive: Well, each piece of sushi is wrapped in gold leaf and topped with caviar, three Mikimoto pearls and served with a diamond. No word on what fish was actually used on the inside of the sushi rolls, but I’m kind of hoping it’s imitation crab.

Read the full text here: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/141803#ixzz29NlKLp2p 
    --brought to you by mental_floss! 

Damnit Guinness, do not encourage this bullshit!
    GMH: Unfortunately, most of the alternatives (like brass) would actually be bad in this case; brass is copper and zinc (both of which are toxic in large amounts) and often has other nasties in it.