1997-2003

Comments

• Honestly its emoticon selection is one of the few things I like about Something Awful.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    1883 - 2003 was my favorite year range, because that's how long Dubai lasted until destroyed via giant Orihime. 

• edited 2012-10-09 19:28:12
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Well, my reasoning was:

"A lot of religion is based on faith over evidence or reinterpretation of holy text as metaphor, so it shouldn't be a huge deal to point out that the evidence is weak."

Not a lot of people get offended if you don't think there was an apocalyptic flood or an Adam and Eve. Maybe that was misguided.
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    holey terror, Batman
  • Gelzo said:

Well, my reasoning was:

"A lot of religion is based on faith over evidence or reinterpretation of holy text as metaphor, so it shouldn't be a huge deal to point out that the evidence is weak."

Not a lot of people get offended if you don't think there was an apocalyptic flood or an Adam and Eve. Maybe that was misguided.
    We were offended? I just thought you were wrong.
  • pouble dost.

I'M NOT A SLAVE TO A GOD THAT DOESN'T EXIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST
    >_>

<_<

I actually love this song.

But, in my defense, it does have the word "Justice" in it.

Also

Isn't it funny that Christianity is probably wrong? image

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the creation gods academy, and I’ve been involved in numerous universe creations, and I have over 300 confirmed universes. I am trained in world creation and I’m greatest deity in the entirety of existence . You are nothing to me but just another ungrateful creation. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth except for that time I flooded the entire planet, it'll look a lot like that, but with more fire. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me in this universe? Think again, fucker. I'm omniscient and see and know all and new exactly that this conversation was going to take place so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life...and like...several million people's as well. You’re fucking dead, kid. I am everywhere at all times and can kill you in ways that haven't even been invented yet do to the constraints of physics. Not only am I lord of all that was, all that is, and all that ever will be, but I have access to the entire arsenal of all of creation and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass (and many others) off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what holy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it.
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, and you're fucking dead, kiddo.

Well, my reasoning was:

The counter point is that the evidence in this case(That Jesus Christ was a dude in some form or another, who existed at around the time we started our Calendars at 1 C.E.) is actually pretty solid.

Whether he performed miracles or was the son of deity is an entirely different matter, but there seems to be very little doubt that he actually existed.
  • edited 2012-10-09 19:39:52
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    We're getting back to where we were earlier. I don't have a problem with continuing if that's what you want, but I do need time to look over the sources presented. It might be a week or longer before I get back to you on this.
  • edited 2012-10-09 19:41:25
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

We were offended? I just thought you were wrong.

I thought Justice seemed kind of offended, but I guess I was mistaken.
    Gelzo said:

Well, my reasoning was:

To me, there's a difference.  A historical difference, in that Genesis is a much older book than the Gospels and often has the feel of folklore about it, whereas the Gospels were written as eyewitness accounts and reference verified historical facts in the context of a civilization we know a great deal about.  Also a religious difference, in that Jesus is literally the basis of most Christians' faiths, while the Old Testament stories are not.
  • edited 2012-10-09 19:44:38
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

"We're getting back to where we were earlier. I don't have a problem with continuing if that's what you want, but I do need time to look over the sources presented. It might be a week or longer before I get back to you on this."

That's fine, I just think it's an important point that the historicity of Jesus isn't something that theologians and (non-christian) scholars based on "faith over evidence".

"I thought Justice seemed kind of offended, but I guess I was mistaken."

I wasn't offended. People are free to believe whatever they damn well please.

I've just been in this exact argument before and I've seen it go sideways. I didn't want that to happen.
  • Everyone is also free to wear sunscreen!

I'll leave now.

• It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Earlier in the thread I was being less serious about the subject.

Fair enough, it just didn't come across that way.

And, it's pretty (internet) dangerous to make potentially provocative statements in jest when people don't have context to if you're being serious or not.

I mean, it's no longer 2012 C.E, it's now 15-21 A.T.A.P.B.C.A.

SEE WHAT YOUR CARELESSNESS HAS WROUGHT, CENTRAL AVENUE?!

YOU BETTER BECOME THE PRINCESS OF EARTH SOON, BECAUSE:

• Did you ever put those on Heapbooru, Justice?

also I have modified my avatar yet again.

I put that one up, just now.

There are still others that NEED to go up that I have yet to do.

And when you NEED to do something, it's a responsibility. /para-quote from ATHF 
  • Justice, the tag for macros is "reaction_shot".
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Justice42 said:

"I thought Justice seemed kind of offended, but I guess I was mistaken."

I wasn't offended. People are free to believe whatever they damn well please.

I've just been in this exact argument before and I've seen it go sideways. I didn't want that to happen.
    That's fine.  My apologies, then.
  • Father shall be swallowed by the son, and brother shall be swallowed by brother.
    Ooh, you guys are talking about dates! I love dates. I was born in 1997 so maybe 1997-2007 could be my favorite dates because they were when I grew up...

wait...

well, that escalated quickly.

"That's fine.  My apologies, then."

No, eff you, NERD! 

I'm going to burn down your entire country (and then probably spend a week sleeping on the couch when Friday finds out I set fire to England)
  • edited 2012-10-09 20:06:54
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    You can't burn down England, the Whovians will storm your house!

well the show's produced in Wales now but whatever
    I'm not in England right now, so ha!

Although I admit I would be rather miffed if you were to destroy it, all the same.

Ooh, you guys are talking about dates! I love dates. I was born in 1997 so maybe 1997-2007 could be my favorite dates because they were when I grew up...

wait...

well, that escalated quickly.
    LOOK WHAT YOUR CARELESS HANDS...HAMMERS...WHATEVER...HAVE WROUGHT!

LOOK AT IT! 
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    1986-1997
    2653 BC - 2647 BC

• Father shall be swallowed by the son, and brother shall be swallowed by brother.
    Ooooooh, Fouria! Where are you if you're not in England?

Are you in Toronto? I love Toronto. Maybe when I grow up I'll move to Canada and -- gasp -- LIVE in Toronto. That'd be sooooooo amazing! Eeeeeeeeee!
  • edited 2012-10-09 20:17:54
    ^^ Should have just posted that one from the start, would have settled the matter.

^ I am in Wales.
  • Justice42 said:
    I think the best thing about this article is the dead serious argument in the comments.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    70 - 81 AD (or CE if you prefer)
    Wales?

Do you speak humpback Welsh? :D
    I don't even speak Welsh with regular back posture.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    What about Orca Welsh?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    To me, Tacitus' account is probably the most solid evidence out there of a historical Jesus, if only because it is incredibly unflattering:

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judæa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind."
  • The sadness will last forever.
    1920-1970

fuck yeah
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Tacitus...that name sounds very familiar......
    Famous Roman historian, very sardonic.
  • edited 2012-10-10 12:11:47
    Anonus said:

What about Orca Welsh?

Like this?
    CARDIFFFFF! :DDDD

That's where Torchwood's headquarters is! Cooool.
  • Gelzo said:

If I recall correctly, there actually is evidence of a great flood.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh, here we go again...
  • edited 2012-10-12 00:00:10
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    While I'm all for the notion that the Noachian Flood (and the Greek myth of Deucalion) were actually inspired by the flooding of the Black Sea back in the day, the fact of the matter is that for every great revelation that the Bible got something right, there's at least one other find that can be used to bolster a completely different (and occasionally quite contradictory) ethno-religious viewpoint.

Take, for instance, the excavations off the coast of India that suggest the presence of a city-building civilisation predating even the Çatal Hüyük site by millennia, coinciding strikingly well with the Mahabharata's account of the destruction of Dwaraka.

And lest we forget the less religiously-slanted blows to our present conceptions of history, like the Brazilian government burying what was believed to be a number of ruined Roman trading vessels in layers of silt in order to "keep away pirates." (And Italian politicians. It's a weird story.)

I'm not one for kooky conspiracies, but I find that the grasp that the historical community has on their subject at any given point is, after a certain chronological remove, often far more tenuous and fleeting than they like to pretend that it is. Before the rise of modern transportation and communications systems, the world was a very strange and mysterious place. Of course, it's still strange, but we tend to forget how little we really know.

And the fact that so many of the dismissals given to weird finds that don't fit into the current historical narrative sometimes sound even more improbable than even the fringier theories—"It's not a carefully painted Attic potsherd, it's a rock that looks like an Attic potsherd!"—reminds me uncomfortably of the scientists who, up until recently, declared homosexuality to be non-extant in the animal world outside of dominance displays and confusion.

In other words: Scientists can be really unscientific, and that makes me want to punch babies.

</rant>

Sorry guys, it was a good run, but that dude just brought up an Indian epic and tied events in it to something of historical significance. I'm afraid he's my new best friend. 

You all are just going to have to live with that.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    ^^Nice post.
  • You Sure Do Seem to Be Posting on the Internet
  • Justice42 said:

Sorry guys, it was a good run, but that dude just brought up an Indian epic and tied events in it to something of historical significance. I'm afraid he's my new best friend. 

You all are just going to have to live with that.
    vashtar is good people
    Thank you.