Mitt Romney Facts

2»

Comments

• Frosty said:

Hmm, apparently the Whig party fell apart over the issue of slavery, which the Democrats said was a yes. This... does not please me. T.T

The Democrats were always big on slavery, and then against civil rights. Then when the southern dems changed their minds on civil rights the republicans snapped up the "bigoted douchebag" demographic.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Frosty said:

Hmm, apparently the Whig party fell apart over the issue of slavery, which the Democrats said was a yes. This... does not please me. T.T

The Democrats were the ones who kept the Jim Crow south going for so long. Surprise
  • edited 2012-10-01 18:37:43

Ugh, sometimes I absolutely hate how I live in a country where voting is compulsory. I personally don't think any of the major figures here are much better or worse than their opponents, so how the fuck am I supposed to choose one over the other?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ugh, sometimes I absolutely hate how I live in a country where voting is compulsory. I personally don't think any of the major figures are much better or worse than their opponents, so how the fuck am I supposed to choose one over the other?

Can you vote for a write-in candidate?
  • edited 2012-10-01 18:37:53

Frosty said:

Shouldn't there just be a Bigoted Douchebag Party?

There should. Keep them out of the hair of the sane and the reasonable.

Unfortunately they are a significantly large enough demographic that somebody always wants them. TT_TT
  • edited 2012-10-01 18:37:34
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-10-01 18:50:16

Can you vote for a write-in candidate?

Unfortunately not, but I've heard that once I register with the polling place as having shown up, I can actually just put a strike through the ballot paper and hand it in...
    My favorite part of every election cycle is seeing which party will start complaining about how there needs to be a intelligence test in order to be able to vote

This year it seems to overwhelmingly be the Democrats demanding this. Not surprising as they're the ones who instituted this very thing in the deep south for a large part of the last century
  • Unfortunately they are a significantly large enough demographic that somebody always wants them. TT_TT

Might encourage them to actually try and turn "douchebag" into a term of endearment or something.
  • edited 2012-10-01 19:44:19
  • My favorite part of every election cycle is seeing which party will start complaining about how there needs to be a intelligence test in order to be able to vote

This year it seems to overwhelmingly be the Democrats demanding this. Not surprising as they're the ones who instituted this very thing in the deep south for a large part of the last century

Are you seriously going to try and paint all of us as closet racists? Because that is really offensive. I normally don't care that you (or anyone, really) is conservative, but you're pushing me and everyone in my party into a box here, and it's not a good box.

I am not the kind of person to try to alter history here, the Southern Democrats were historically pretty pro-segregation. That is historical fact, to imply that that has something to do with these alleged legions of Democrats today clamoring for "intelligence tests" (where, exactly? I have never seen this.) is very much not.

• It's 4:20 somewhere.
    You know, nowadays you have the Republican party attempting to disenfranchise certain demographics with laws ostensibly dealing with voter fraud. I think that's much more of a concern than Democrats acting a little cranky.
    I'm pretty sure that in my observation there, I didn't say "all" or "every" in regards to the Democrats. I said "overwhelmingly" which means I've only really heard them (Democrats I know) opine such a throwback to controlling the polls. 
  • I don't know what kind of Democrats you hang around with, then. I have never heard the "intelligence test" comment made seriously by anyone of any party.

I don't know what kind of Democrats you hang around with, then. I have never heard the "intelligence test" comment made seriously by anyone of any party.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-treadway/voter-id-laws_b_1797495.html

The first addresses basic American civics dictating that the President of the United States must be born in the United States. The answer is in the question itself, so I don't really see this being a barrier for any voting block. The second goes over basic First Amendment facts -- you know the "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," stuff people learn about in third grade. The final question is just there to determine if you're Rick Perry.

You see, democracy isn't reliant on people voting, it's reliant on the right people voting.

• edited 2012-10-01 20:34:50

who dafuq reads the huffington post?

Especially the blogs, everyone knows those are stupid.
  • Featuring fresh takes and real-time analysis from HuffPost's signature lineup of contributors
    lel
  • Actually this guy seems to rather support the new Voter ID laws, which were largely a Republican initiative.

who dafuq reads the huffington post?

Especially the blogs, everyone knows those are stupid.
    SL was questioning what I was talking about so I provided an example which goes to show that people actually entertain notions like these. 
  • > Implying the people at the huffington post are people
  • Also yeah, Huffington Post seems to be pretty widely regarded as crap. I don't honestly know why since I don't read it, so I'm left to just assume.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    AHEM.

If you would all be silly and clever so we could have fun with this game instead of talking about politics and meaningless crap like that, this thread might not explode into a political debate.

Mitt Romney's diabolical plan is so nefarious that he just has to explain it to the heroes so they can get the sheer genius of his eevil scheme!  Muahahahahaha!
  • edited 2012-10-01 22:03:34
  • i think babies are a good source of protein
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Huffington Post, lol.
  • Justice42 said:

Huffington Post, lol.

A classic.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Frosty said:

Shouldn't there just be a Bigoted Douchebag Party?

England has the British National Party (honest-to-god fascists), the Democratic Unionist Party (Northern Irish super-fundies), and the UK Independence Party (Europe-hating ex-Tories); the USA has... the Constitution Party? American Third Position?

It's hard to run a party on explicitly bigoted, douchey principles in a country like this one. At once, this is a stroke in our favour and a serious problem.
  • edited 2012-10-01 23:23:35
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Justice42 said:Huffington Post, lol.

I may not be a huge fan of e-books, but...
    what. Really, if anything, electronic publishing and the power of independent web distribution mean that revolutionary anti-establishment ideas will have greater potential for circulation than ever before. And seriously, sir, are you really going to buy into this wrong-headed notion that electronic print will ever completely supersede the printed word? Are you daft?

For shame, HuffPo. You should know better than to let people bitch about things that they don't understand.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    That was basically my reaction. E-books are practically the opposite of book burning.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, these are the sorts of people who think the Kindle will never be worth buying until you can run Slackware on it. Not even Debian is hardcore enough for them!
  • the Kindle will never be worth buying until you can run Slackware on it. 

repost because relevant.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    That reminds me of the old joke about someone installing NetBSD on a toaster. :lol:
  • Frosty said:

Democrats and Republicans have effectively switched idealology since then.
    Pretty much.
  • Huffington Post can't be that  bad. They were on the Colbert Report.
  • edited 2012-10-02 04:39:08
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Well, Conservapedia's Andrew Schlafly was also on the Report...

Can't say I know that much about Huffington Post, though.
  • (It was a joke, actually)
    Went over my head, then.
  • I have a pretty obtuse sense of humor. The only person who finds it amusing is me.

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    England has the British National Party (honest-to-god fascists), the
    Democratic Unionist Party (Northern Irish super-fundies), and the UK
    Independence Party (Europe-hating ex-Tories);
    The Democratic Unionist Party doesn't operate in England.
    Kexruct said:

Frosty said:

Democrats and Republicans have effectively switched idealology since then.
    I wouldn't go that far. It was more like the Democrats realized they were living up to their party icon with all of that embarrassing shit they were doing in the 60's and 70's and people are still shuffling around to which party serves their ideals, especially in the south and here in the southwest. Republicans haven't really budged from their ideals even since the disaster that was Nixon while the Democrats were (carefully) running around catering to every marginalized part of the population, hoping they'd forget who were the ones who have, for the most of last century, terrorized people when it came to race. It seems they have succeeded. 
  • I honestly don't much see how the party's past actions have much to do with its current ones unless it's literally the same people, which I don't think it usually is.

I think the whole Dixiecrat thing is pretty dead. Fun fact: Opera recognizes Dixiecrat as a word, but not "teleporter".