A Heaper's Edgar Allan Poesque Ruminations on the Departure to Naught

edited 2012-09-29 23:35:56 in General
So heapers, are you prepared to die? What do you think of death? How long do you think you will live? Are you afraid? Are you embracing it?

I'm going to die someday, so every day I sperge out about it, every 5 minutes, 10 minutes, all my dreams, all my future goals. Death death deathy death.

Comments

• It will be good to get some rest.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Death creeps into everything I do.

I just made a Mario hack game which inevitably ended up being about death...

Because Time, She kills everyone and everything eventually.

Yeah, I have no coherent thoughts about it. Just...death.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Yes, everyone's gotta go sometime, probably for quite some time as my some of my grandparents and even great grandparents where pretty old when they went or still alive,image, and image
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I plan to become immortal

So come back to me in about a hundred years or so
  • No hopes, no regrets. Such is depression.
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    I am dead
  • KJIKJI
    Sometimes I have night terrors that force me to go to the hosptial due to uncontrollabele spasms, lmfao
  • KJIKJI
    Thats cool, Viani. Also French.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Viani said:

I feel alone sometimes. Like the only person that is afraid of death. None of my family seem to care, the majority of my friends are in a "oh well cest lavie" kind of still about it.

They are just hiding their fear of death.
  • I will either be partying it up in heaven or be too dead to care.

I don't have any real desire to rush to my end, though.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    This thread title always gives me an uncomfortable jolt when I see it.

I don't know what happens after death.  If I just stop existing then that's that, I guess; there won't be a me anymore so it doesn't really matter how I feel about it.  But there are people I love and responsibilities I have and things I'd like to do, so I'd really rather not die in the near future.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Accustom yourself to believing that death is nothing to us, for good and evil imply the capacity for sensation, and death is the privation of all sentience; therefore a correct understanding that death is nothing to us makes the mortality of life enjoyable, not by adding to life a limitless time, but by taking away the yearning after immortality. For life has no terrors for him who has thoroughly understood that there are no terrors for him in ceasing to live. Foolish, therefore, is the man who says that he fears death, not because it will pain when it comes, but because it pains in the prospect. Whatever causes no annoyance when it is present, causes only a groundless pain in the expectation. Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not. It is nothing, then, either to the living or to the dead, for with the living it is not and the dead exist no longer.

But in the world, at one time men shun death as the greatest of all evils, and at another time choose it as a respite from the evils in life. The wise man does not deprecate life nor does he fear the cessation of life. The thought of life is no offense to him, nor is the cessation of life regarded as an evil. And even as men choose of food not merely and simply the larger portion, but the more pleasant, so the wise seek to enjoy the time which is most pleasant and not merely that which is longest. And he who admonishes the young to live well and the old to make a good end speaks foolishly, not merely because of the desirability of life, but because the same exercise at once teaches to live well and to die well. Much worse is he who says that it were good not to be born, but when once one is born to pass quickly through the gates of Hades. For if he truly believes this, why does he not depart from life? It would be easy for him to do so once he were firmly convinced. If he speaks only in jest, his words are foolishness as those who hear him do not believe.

• KJIKJI
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Viani said:

Where did you get that from Myrmy? I kind of like that.

It's something Epicurus said.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Death is an end to fear and suffering. There are things that I fear much more than that, but an end to my pleasures is certainly never something I would look forward to.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I just hope that I'm able to complete everything I want to before death rolls around. It's inevitable - you can take the direct route to its door or try to take as many side roads as possible, but there are no detours and it's a one-way street.

What I find curious are the people who care about what comes of themselves and their "legacy" after their death. I'm even guilty of this myself. I hope 100 years from now someone finds a print copy of 11.975MHz and, I guess, enjoys reading it. 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I would like to leave a legacy. I would love it if I became known as "the author of [x]", like so many famous deceased writers.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Well, it'd be harder to be satisfied with living if while doing so, all I ever did were things that didn't have any lasting benefit.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Leaving a legacy would be good if it were a legacy that helped or brought some enjoyment to others after my death.  Otherwise, not fussed about that.