6 Year olds with iPads and Nooks/Kindles

edited 2012-09-22 12:45:38 in General
I saw one at a grocery store.

I was jealous.

I wanted to liberate it from the greasy obese cheese-covered hands that clutched it so ignorantly.

I wanted to give it a good home.

But I couldn't.

:(
Tagged:

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm wondering when the evil geniuses at Vtech will make a kiddie version of one, if they haven't done so already.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    It weirds me out to see this, because that technology wasn't around when I was a kid.
    Yeah, about the closest you would have gotten when I was a kid was a Magna Doodle.
  • My brother and sister use our dad's iDevices so regularly they might as well be theirs.

They're 9 and 4, respectively.
  • edited 2012-09-30 03:43:06
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I've just sort of accepted the fact my child will own a cell phone. My manager has purchased a tablet computer for his kids, I'm sure I'll need to do the same at some point.

Honestly, it'd be nice if I can just get it over with and make my kid a cyborg, already.

'Course, I named her "Lain" so NOT doing these things is kinda unthinkable.
  • edited 2012-09-30 04:25:19
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The differences in technology between what I had growing up and what my sister had growing up weird me out sometimes, considering the gap between us is only 9 years.

When she was 10, I mentioned pagers. She genuinely didn't know what a pager was, so I had to explain it. 

Last year I bought a 1994 Toyota. While joking about how old it is, I mentioned that the odometer is the kind with the "turny numbers" instead of a digital display. She had no idea what I was talking about until I took her out to the car and showed her.

It's just weird.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I used to have an IBM ps/2 computer - 286 processor, 20 MB hard drive.

You punks have NO IDEA
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Step aside, scrubs

If you were truly hardcore, you would have bought one of those software hard drive expanders that got around all those dumb FAT16 limitations and turned your 20MB hard drive into a 25MB hard drive (this, of course, dramatically reduced its working life.)
  • This was the first computer me and my brothers ever owned:

I can't believe my child's first computer is going to be a PS5 or somesuch.  Honestly, I'm incredibly envious of all the technology available for children today.  HOWEVER, if she can break it, I aint buying it.
  • edited 2012-09-30 12:23:43
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    WELCOME TO THE FUTURE, BITCHES!

That's RIGHT. This fucker has a KEY so you can rev up your engine of 15 million characters of HIGH-SPEED STORAGE! 
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    what does the red button dNEVER PRESS THE RED BUTTON

EVER
    IT'S THE HISTORY ERASER BUTTON YOU FOOL!
  • WHY WOULD YOU PUT A "BLOW UP EVERYTHING" BUTTON ON A 15-MEGABYTE HARDDRIVE? HOW DOES THAT EVEN WORK?

I DON'T KNOW MAN, I THINK THE MARTIANS DID IT

• Touch the cow. Do it now.

Step aside, scrubs

If you were truly hardcore, you would have bought one of those software hard drive expanders that got around all those dumb FAT16 limitations and turned your 20MB hard drive into a 25MB hard drive (this, of course, dramatically reduced its working life.)
    You know, I'm pretty sure my dad actually did that at one point. Got it up to 30 MB, I think.
    Ah, yes,I remember Stacker and DoubleSpace, and how compression was going to save us all from the high cost of hard drives. Then PRML came out, and MR heads after that, and the price per MB dropped through the floor.