SlutWalk

edited 2012-09-19 22:35:01 in Talk
It's this protest dealie that's been going on since 2011. We had one in Seattle earlier this month, and it got me thinking about the ideologies that spawned it.

My impression of it is generally negative, but you guys can look it up yourselves and say what you think before/instead of seeing me rant if that's preferable.

Comments

• edited 2012-09-19 22:53:04
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I know of it.  I don't know how effective it is, but it's attracted a lot of attention and gotten people talking about these issues, so that's a good thing.

I've been rather sceptical about the idea of reclaiming slurs for a while now, so the name seems kind of dodgy to me and possibly a bit counterproductive.  But then, the idea that is being protested is often expressed in those terms, so it gets the message across, I'm sure.

The idea behind it - to protest the blaming of rape victims - is definitely a good one.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I don't think it's worthwhile to try to "reclaim" a word. It's most certainly possible to assign new meanings to them, but you're not going to be able to prevent people from continuing to use it as an insult, most especially if you reveal yourself to be emotionally sensitive to that and allow it to be an effective one. Furthermore, you'd end up changing society so that one group of people is "allowed" to use a word, but if an outsider uses it, even in the most well-meaning sense, they come off as rude.

The better goal would be to convince people that it's not reasonable to look down on someone for choices in their life that don't cause harm.

And yeah, I think that blame placed on rape victims should be protested. I just feel like this particular form of protest is caked in some unnecessary layers of bullshit.
  • On an iPod. Someone explain plz
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^ Series of marches to protest the practice of blaming women rape victims for the way they were dressed.
  • Does that actually happen anymore? That's rather disheartening if it does.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-09-20 07:00:21
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    For example, there was a recent incident where a sexual assault victim was held responsible due to the mere fact of her being in a bar at the time, and the assailant wasn't even put on the sex offenders register.

I agree that we should be past this as a society, but sadly this isn't the case.
  • Fouria G said:

For example, there was a recent incident where a sexual assault victim was held responsible due to the mere fact of her being in a bar at the time, and the assailant wasn't even put on the sex offenders register.

I agree that we should be past this as a society, but sadly this isn't the case.

Actually I recall that. Must've forgotten about it. Shit is sad, though.