My brother texted a tip on me.

edited 2012-09-12 02:26:42 in General

At school, we have this thing where we can anonymously text tips on someone and that person will always be searched.

What a great feeling it was having the principal come into my classroom and remove me from it, take me to the office, and search my pockets, backpack, and my notebooks.

All because of this text: "I heard Tucker ***** brought a gun and meth to school" sent by my wonderful older brother.

Fun.

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    well he's a douche

can't you get him in hot water or something
  • No, because I'm also technically not supposed to be on the computer.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Man, I'm so glad I got out of the K12 public school system before they went TSA-level insane
  • To be fair, it's not abused that often and I can't exactly blame them for searching me.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    He'll probably be in trouble for abusing the system anyway, right?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ^ I thought the tip was anonymous.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ...not sure how I missed that word. >_<
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    But can't they trace its origin?
  • edited 2012-09-12 04:43:33
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Theoretically they could, but they wouldn't because that would defeat the purpose of the tip hotline (for lack of a better word) being anonymous.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    You know, this kind of zero-tolerance thing is bullshit and the completely wrong way to go enforcing a safe school district. Over in several Asian countries they don't have this problem because:

1. School uniforms. Gets rid of all of that gang/clique/"classism" (rich/poor) shit in one fell swoop. Also gets rid of baggy pants. Bonus
    2. Allow teachers to knock the shit out of a student acting up. Surprisingly effective. 

And that's about it. For anyone who wants to argue either of these two points, all I'm going to do is point to the fact that China and Japan's schools don't employ chain-link barriers and concertina wire. 
  • We had uniforms in my high school too, but it was a liberal arts charter school.
  • I wouldn't want uniforms, and I'd say that zero tolerance, broken as it is, is the best we have for now. Also, getting beaten at home was never effective for me or anyone else I knew whose parents used physical punishment, so I seriously doubt it'd be useful at school.
  • Uniforms + corporal punishment = fuckthisshitilljustskip
  • How effective corporal punishment is or isn't is entirely dependent on the child.

As for uniforms, I don't really care either way, but I do think they're rather dumb.

• You know, this kind of zero-tolerance thing is bullshit and the completely wrong way to go enforcing a safe school district. Over in several Asian countries they don't have this problem because:

1. School uniforms. Gets rid of all of that gang/clique/"classism" (rich/poor) shit in one fell swoop. Also gets rid of baggy pants. Bonus
    2. Allow teachers to knock the shit out of a student acting up. Surprisingly effective. 

And that's about it. For anyone who wants to argue either of these two points, all I'm going to do is point to the fact that China and Japan's schools don't employ chain-link barriers and concertina wire. 

speaking as someone who went to one school with uniforms and one school where they were optional, your first point is certainly not a blanket truth. everyone still knows who's poor and who's not even if people are wearing uniforms. and im not sure what the hell is up with the comment about 'baggy pants' either

also worth bearing in mind is the cultural pressure in china/japan to be 'successful' and to obey elders and family members

im not saying that having armed police officers next to the entrance of schools and cctv everywhere is a good idea either but i dont think 'let teachers beat the shit out of kids' is going to particularly change anything. hell, i went to school in a pretty shitty area. a kid was stabbed to death for £10 at my school. that was the school that had uniforms, and i doubt that allowing corporal punishment would have changed that either considering that most of the parents in my area DO beat their kids and there are still problems.

• edited 2012-09-12 20:33:14
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Even when school uniforms are mandatory, you still have to buy your own, so the state of your uniform can speak volumes in itself.  Kind of irrelevant, though, since the other children/teens can and will make inferences from the way you speak and the street you live on.

The area I went to school in was rural as hell so gangs were never really an issue, but there were still cliques and a lot of people did drugs so having uniforms definitely didn't put a stop to either of those things.

As for corporal punishment, that was eliminated in schools here over the last few decades (it was banned in British state schools in 1987, and banned in public (private) schools in 1999 in England and Wales, in 2000 in Scotland and in 2003 in Northern Ireland).  As far as I can make out, drug use in schools has actually declined slightly in the last decade; I couldn't find any evidence of a long-term increase since corporal punishment was banned from schools, anyway.

I agree that zero-tolerance policies are pretty much bullshit anyway, though.  I mean, if they actually reduce violence or "antisocial behaviour" or whatever that's obviously for the better, but I doubt forcing drug use further underground is going to do that.
  • LWLW
    edited 2012-09-12 20:32:56

Corporal Forsythe,
    1. School uniforms. Gets rid of all of that gang/clique/"classism" (rich/poor) [stuff] in one fell swoop. Also gets rid of baggy pants. Bonus

Okay, I will grant you that it helps standardize stuff (though maybe not baggy pants), but do you really want everyone to look like this?

Anyway, searching students like that does not sound very fun. I wonder if there are better ways of dealing with the problem. As for corporal punishment,  I am not sure if that would make students these days fall in line or just make them more rebellious. Regardless, I would hope that people could figure out how to encourage kids to behave without resorting to violence.
  • If real school uniforms were that boss, I doubt there'd be any objections to wearing them.