Remembering Today

edited 2012-09-11 15:37:38 in Talk
I don't know if anyone is aware but on 9/11/73 there was a coup in Chile. The Coup replaced an elected government with a brutal dictatorship that became the by-word for the struggle in South America between the Yanks and the Reds. Now this elected governments only crime was being a leftist government in South America and the powers that be decided that was unacceptable.

Now, I hope that you take some time out to remember the 2000ish people killed and the 100k people tortured and imprisoned by this Junta.

Comments

• (*A moment of silence*)

also

(*A moment of icwutudidthar*)
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    I dont know what you think I've done :(

Pinochet was a brutal dictator that was given a free pass by Western Governments because he was a product of Milton Friedman's economic policy.
  • edited 2012-09-11 18:14:19

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    I know it is but the coup in Chile was just as bad and shouldn't be forgotten.
  • edited 2012-09-11 18:14:29

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Would it be bad taste to post that Chris-chan "Clyde Cash is weak!" video?
  • edited 2012-09-11 18:14:35

• I remember 9/11, think it was 2nd grade or so. I didn't get what was going on really, I mean I wouldn't have even thought it was that important except how completely horrified my teacher was, she had her hands over her mouth and her eyes were wide and she was just saying "oh my god" over and over and over.

Only other thing I remember was mom being surprised when I got home that they had shown it on the tv at school
  • Odradek said:

Would it be bad taste to post that Chris-chan "Clyde Cash is weak!" video?

The thread itself is in bad taste.
  • Yeah, but fortunately bad taste can simply be ignored.
  • No, not for an event like this. And not for an event like the coup, if it weren't for how it was obviously a passive aggressive gesture on ZR's part to make the thread be about that.
  • edited 2012-09-11 18:16:01

Just roll with it and know in your heart that in the end you reap what you sow.
  • This thread should be locked. If she wanted to talk about how we forget about something equally important, that'd be fine. But no. She turned two tragedies into a joke.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    @ZR: Ohhh, I get it.

You're a Marxist.
  • Kexruct said:

This thread should be locked.

Indeed. Perhaps a more proper thread can be started.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yeah, this really wasn't necessary and it's troll-y.
This discussion has been closed.