Sports Television

edited 2012-09-10 21:20:46 in General
ULTRAMEN GO

Also, when was the last time you wet the bed? Never? Well, good for you, have a prize

The prize is: A record player from 1946

Truly, this is the best thing you could hope for, ever.
Tagged:

Comments

• sports TV go

WE ARE REPORTING ON THE SPORTS! ALL DAY EVERY DAY WE WILL BE LIVE SPORTS, REACTION TO SPORTS, ANALYSIS OF SPORTS, MONTAGES OF SPORTS, ADVERT OF SPORTS

JOHNNY CAN YOU TELL US WHICH SPORTS WE WILL BE SHOWING TO DAY??

ALL OF THE SPORTS!

THATS RIGHT ALL OF THE SPORTS, SO STICK RIGHT HERE AND FIND OUT WHO WILL WIN A SPORTS, WHO WILL LOSE THE SPORTS, AND WHO WILL HAVE THE SPORTS TROPHYT!!!

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    That's actually one of the few xkcd pages I really dislike.

Anyway, sports.

((For some reason I thought this thread would be about actual sports broadcasting.))
  • Well it's kinda right, js
    Not really, maybe if you're not actually interested in the teams or the players.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    It's completely missing the point.

Not that I would understand the point of sports...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    to turn otherwise sane people into lunatics

at least in a lot of cases...
  • I've watched a few football games.

I mean, it's kinda interesting, but the strategies seem secondary to individual personalities. I mean, if both teams had roughly the same level of player quality it'd be more enjoyable I guess.
  • I mean, the coverage was all PLAYER THIS and PLAYER THAT and whatnot, and I'm all like "SHUT UP ABOUT THE PLAYERS"
  • I mean, why do people want to hear about them?
  • I've watched a few football games.

I mean, it's kinda interesting, but the strategies seem secondary to individual personalities. I mean, if both teams had roughly the same level of player quality it'd be more enjoyable I guess.

which kind of football

i cant speak with any knowledge about american football, but proper football is quite a lot about strategy. a couple of years back Greece won the european championships. Greece are a pretty shit team in terms of individuals but they won because they had a damn good tactical setup

but the best teams tend to have the best managers, and every sport has its big individual personalities... but i like difference in ability, it means big upsets can happen which is always great to watch

• I mean, why do people want to hear about them?

because people are always interested in the people who play the sport. just like people are interested in the musicians who play music and whatever
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I hope Sports Team beats Opposing Team this season. Go Sports Team!

/callback
    I thought the players are kind of the whole point?  Or at least a big part of it.  I mean, it's about competition, and it's about fitness and skill.  Teamwork in some cases.

It's true that some of the fans are asshats, though.
  • you should try watching football football. everyone should, it is a cool game and stuffs and entertaining

• The football with kicking the ball?

tried that, but there was not enough scoring.
  • The football with kicking the ball?

tried that, but there was not enough scoring.

that's such an american thing to say

• that would make sense what with my being well american and all
  • scoring isn't the only excitement. you will never understand the beauty of tiki-taka
  • LWLW
    edited 2012-09-10 22:19:14

Mr. Truant,
    I think a lot of actual sports fans have issues with commentary during games, so yeah, I cannot really blame you for disliking it. Plenty of sports media seems to have the same kind of problems too. If you want to see an example of that, feel free to read this silly tweet that invokes "won't something think of the children?" about a baseball player not hustling enough.

Anyhow, opinions are opinions, but I feel like there is some good sports coverage out there. This kind of lengthy and depressing thing about a college football player's life comes to mind. Some of the crazy math stuff that places like Baseball Prospectus do seems worthwhile to me as well.

Of course, people have different tastes about this junk. Disliking sports seems legit to me too.
  • most sports commentary is really bad. this is true
    It varies.  Bigger events usually have better commentary.
  • well yeah the bbcs coverage of the olympics was excellent

but just about every football commentator is really terrible

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    sunn wolf said:

scoring isn't the only excitement. you will never understand the beauty of tiki-taka

I can't watch the Spanish National Team because they are soo boring and shit.
  • im a west ham supporter, it offers me a rare glimpse of football in which short passing exists

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    sunn wolf said:

im a west ham supporter, it offers me a rare glimpse of football in which short passing exists

I feel sorry for ya.