First of all, let me state...

edited 2012-09-08 23:57:27 in General

...what an obvious oversight the lack of Helvetica is on this forum.

Really admins? Really?

Do you think I'm a joke?

Because some people here take respectable fonts a little seriously.

I mean, it's such an ugly font.

Look at this:C

Maybe the gibbering halfwit who designed Arial was sick that day, but in kindergarten, I learned that c's have a horizontal cut, not diagonal. Oh, but wait, the horrific abomination that is a diagonally cut c gets even worse.

I'm not joking.

Look at this: G

Tell me Arial, tell me:Does that G look like it could stand up on it's own? Clearly, you don't understand physics, Arial, because that G would have rolled down a hill in real life. Bottom line: give the G it's leg back, you monsters.And just to round it out: t Okay, it was bad enough when a C had a diagonal cut, but a t???

WHY?

Because I don't want to type a letter that could impale me. What's wrong with you, person who designed Arial (Addendum: arial doesn't even deserve capitalization. It's that bad, I swear.)? Are you trying to hint at something? What purpose does a diagonal cut serve on a t?

I used to have respect for this forum.

But now? I just don't know.

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    (Unserious copypasta, moved to General)

Helvetica is so passe, the cool people use Gotham. :P
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-09-09 00:03:49
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    (nobody remembers this)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • (actually, I do. I remember because of the reflection, and the missing "l")
  • You know what I think? We should protest this atrocity by only using Comic Sans.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Central Avenue and Anonymous User, why do we not have Helvetica as a font?  Arial is a font created in the seventies to look like Helvetica; Helvetica was created to look beautiful.  Arial's purpose was to be different enough that companies could get out of licensing fees; and it's creation was sloppy.  It's a mimic with some quickly-done haphhazard skewing.  Also, Helvetica looks prettier to me.  Given that you guys are font people like me, I thought that you'd have Helvetica.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    -makes you all use Akzidenz-Grotesk for your sins-
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Short answer: Those are the default choices Vanilla's WYSIWYG editor comes with, and we've just never bothered to change them.
  • (Unserious copypasta, moved to General)

A thought occurred to me just now.

How is this copypasta?
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

(nobody remembers this)

HOLY SHITTITS i remember this
  • To be honest, Helvetica's kind of boring.  Not that Arial's better, but I feel like this forum should have a more interesting default font.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Like what?

Also the more glamour-inclined among us use Chalet :P
  • edited 2013-04-07 11:23:37
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I prefer Old Style fonts myself, although I use Georgia for my blog and like it quite a bit.

In general, modern sans-serif typefaces strike me as fairly dull. The older grotesques have some character to them, but most of the post-Helvetica ones that aren't pure over-the-top retro insanity or painfully stylish (or both) are just boring. It's like functionalist post-Bauhaus architecture in typographic form: Utilitarian to the point of lacking any real flair.
  • > Comic Sans

You don't know the half of how okay I am with this.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Y'know, in hindsight, it's kind of funny that I decided to revive a joke thread with a serious post about how much modern sans-serif typography annoys me.