Comments

• Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    It's something of a cliche choice, but I think Roger Ebert always has something interesting to say (even if it isn't usually anything I agree with).

That only pertains to when he's talking about movies, however. When he brings up...literally almost any other subject, it goes bad.
  • I actually think his editorials are pretty good, though.

Unless you're talking about his opinion on video games, though. In that case, understand that all he said was that video games aren't art, not that he dislikes them.

I didn't mention videogames.
  • That's usually what people on the internet complain about with regards to Ebert.
    ...and?
  • And that's why I assumed that that was what you were talking about.

• It's something of a cliche choice, but I think Roger Ebert always has something interesting to say (even if it isn't usually anything I agree with).

That only pertains to when he's talking about movies, however. When he brings up...literally almost any other subject, it goes bad.

I agree with all of this.

Other than that, there are no specific people I always choose. I'll admit, I try to check if something is quality. But, at the same time, I'd rather experience something myself instead of listening to someone else. I've missed out before on things because one person said it was bad and I didn't actually experience it until later and found out I liked it.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Ebert's a great choice whenever it's what he knows (movies.) Every once in a while he's moved to comment on something that's well outside of what he's familiar with and he usually comes off looking like a moron for it. 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I like Film Crit Hulk.
  • But I'd say that saying he sucks at everything except movies is a bit of an exaggeration.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

But, at the same time, I'd rather experience something myself instead of listening to someone else. I've missed out before on things because one person said it was bad and I didn't actually experience it until later and found out I liked it.

This is fine, but critics are for the most part actually pretty awesome.

Years ago I was in a discussion with some folks over an upcoming movie and said that I was going to pass going to see it because for the most part the critics didn't care for it. One obviously enlightened fellow piped up to ask if I blindly follow the suggestions of critics such as I'm doing here. Yes, because that's their fucking job. Just about every time the majority of critics have panned a flick, lo and behold, shock and surprise, the movie was a stinker.  Same for when a movie turns out to be pretty good. They have a very good track record when it comes to both of these, believe it or not. This is not to say that this track record is perfect -- Blade Runner is considered the greatest sci-fi flick ever by them and I think it's a yawner.  Critics also seem to completely love Monty Python's Meaning of Life, despite being one of the most cringe-worthy, unfunny pieces of shit ever put to film (and for the record I love Monty Python, like any good nerd.) For some reason, they also have some secret pact (probably bound by blood and a horrible human sacrifice) where they all agree that Woody Allen is not only a talented filmmaker, but a funny one to boot. 

But am I ever going to pay good money for something like Batman and Robin again? Hell no. That's why we have critics. 
  • Critics also seem to completely love Monty Python's Meaning of Life, despite being one of the most cringe-worthy, unfunny pieces of shit ever put to film
    how dare you insult my childhood like that
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I'd rather make up my own mind about things, but critics sometimes do have interesting things to say.

Also, critics don't necessarily agree with each other. And sometimes the general critical opinion can change over time.
  • I'd rather make up my own mind about things, but critics sometimes do have interesting things to say.
    This.
  • edited 2012-08-20 02:13:42

'Critics also seem to completely love Monty Python's Meaning of Life, despite being one of the most cringe-worthy, unfunny pieces of shit ever put to film "

Kind of ironic for you to example as to why critics can be unreliable when you're stating your opinion as fact.

• Have we really not moved past the state of having to tack "this is my opinion" on to everything we say?
  • Not necessarily having to tack "this is my opinion" so much as "don't call something you don't like an unfunny piece of shit just because you don't like it."

• I seriously doubt he meant "it is objectively an unfunny piece of shit on a scientific level."

• i would love to at this juncture state that, yes, all my opinions are facts
  • But that can't be true, you think Witch House exists.
  • Don't strawman what I said.

• I'm not strawmanning anything. You seem to seriously think that.
  • Excuse me. I sincerely apologize for suggesting I know what I think.
  • I am having a seriously hard time getting anything out of "don't treat your opinions like they're facts" other than an implication that you thought he was treating them as such.

• What I'm saying is, the way he said his sentence was overly suggestive that he was right, but not necessarily that this was his intention.
  • But that can't be true, you think Witch House exists.

don't listen to it because it doesn't exist so this is a blank post you are just imagining thingssssss
  • edited 2012-08-20 02:33:52
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • But seriously, listen to it because it's fucking fantastic.
  • I don't like it when people are overly suggestive that their opinion is right, especially if it's a negative opinion.
    Kexruct said:

Don't strawman what I said.

Kexjurct: You do not know what a 'strawman' is. Hint: It's not an automatic defense to losing an argument. 

In your case, a very losing argument. 

• A strawman is a caricature of your opponent's argument used to avert your opponent's actual argument and instead argue against something that is easy.

• there is no objective truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuthhhhhhhhhhh
  • I don't like it when people are overly suggestive that their opinion is right, especially if it's a negative opinion.

*sigh*

Okay, I do actually get this. Because I used to do this a lot myself.

Fact of the matter: if you think he's wrong, and he thinks he's right, what does that really matter to either of you?

Does the simple fact that either disagrees with the other, going to make either change their opinion?

Probably not.

It's really not worth arguing over. 

• Reminds me of all the cool scarecrows at the state fair
  • edited 2012-08-20 02:39:19

I really don't care what anyone's opinion is, so long as they're cool about it.

That's all I'm getting at.

• Kexruct said:

I really don't care what anyone's opinion is, so long as they're cool about it.

That's all I'm getting at.

But that's the thing! He's not doing anything wrong other than using a phrasing you don't like.

People do that *a lot*, the English language is riddled with shortcuts. It is simply easier to say "X is bad" than "I don't like X and here is why". So most people are just not going to bother with the ladder because it is understood that they mean that when they say the former.

• edited 2012-08-20 02:43:49
    ^^That's not an opinion, though. That's just stupidity.
  • edited 2012-08-20 02:42:29

Kexruct said:

That's not an opinion, though. That's just stupidity.

all opinions that aren't mine are stupid #swag #yolo
  • Lumine said:

Personally, I love scarecrows. :] They are quaint things that I associate with my favorite season: autumn.

I like autumn too.
  • edited 2012-08-20 02:43:31
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Autumn is probably my favorite season, too. It's rustic and quaint and nice.
    Is this going to become an argument? Because I'd rather it not.
  • edited 2012-08-20 02:44:27
  • edited 2012-08-20 02:46:35

@Lumine

I know you're kidding, but "Americans are fat" isn't an opinion. "American's suck" is, but that's an opinion that is impossible to be cool about.

------------------------------------------------------------------

And frankly, especially on the internet, "this is my opinion" is not understood, and it makes it even harder to tell when hyperbole, such as "one of the most cringe-worthy, unfunny pieces of shit ever put to film" is used.