Let's Play Donald Duck's Speed Boat!!!

Donald Duck's Speedboat !!! 

1983 bitches!!!!
OH SHIT THERE ARE ROCKS! HIT THE REVERSE DONALD DUCK!!

PAST HOSTEL HALL AND GRANGE!!! THROUGH THE BAYOU!!! NOTHING CAN STOP DONALD DUCK!! 

HOLY FUCK HUEY DOOEY AND LOOEY STANDING ON ROCKS TRYING TO STOP DONALD DUCK!! WATCH OUT DONALD DUCK!!!

Tagged:

Comments

• edited 2012-08-16 03:25:36
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    OH SHIT

THIS IS INTENSE

...Also, you should catch a wild Huey
  • This is a real thing?
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    It was finished but never released. The major technical achievement here is, of course, having a title screen
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...sometimes I feel sad that they never seem to come up with silly merchandise like this these days.
  • I bet if you could somehow show this to a caveman it would blow his entire mind.
    What probably happened was some programmer at Atari in 1983, right before they started to hemorrhage millions of dollars a day, came up with some speedboat demo and it was presented to the marketing department who then tried to find out if there was a way to slap some profitable IP onto it. To go about making a 2600 game tailor fit to an IP, on the other hand, was just about impossible.  Which wasn't to say they didn't try -- Superman was the earliest one, and a prototype for a Garfield game got made which was a side-scrolling platformer that featured parallax scrolling which is amazing considering the hardware. 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Parallax scrolling on an Atari 2600? Impressive!
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-08-16 11:11:10
    Isn't that when the background of 2D space moves accordingly with the camera rather than staying fixed on one part of it? (edit: apparently this is part of it but not exactly. Still impressive.)

If so, whoa, for that to be on a 2600's pretty cool.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Especially considering that the 2600 didn't have any video memory, and every game had to redraw the screen itself. They fixed that in the Atari 800 and the 5200 (which had ANTIC to handle refreshing the screen for you).
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I can count the pixels
  • ^
    Good.

That will be on the quiz tomorrow. I expect you to know the exact number of pixels on those screens.
    lee4hmz said:

Especially considering that the 2600 didn't have any video memory,

In addition to that (which isn't much), it also had only 2 hardware sprites and 2 hardware "missiles".  That's it. At most the 2600 was designed with Pong variants in mind and nothing much past that. So it's pretty amazing that near the end of it its life it saw the release of a port of Irem's Kung Fu:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Yeah, the first game console to have actual video memory was the Intellivision in 1979, and it had a relatively puny 512 bytes of VRAM. Then again, it also, had a 2048-byte character ROM, which was pretty decent for the time. I don't remember if you could change the tiles on that system, but probably not.
    Actually, some clever programmer found a way to get around that character ROM. As it was, whenever an Intellivision game was powered up, it showed a rudimentary title screen with a copyright notice. Anyway, the ROM you mentioned didn't have the copyright symbol, so Mattel used the @ instead (...why they would have this symbol at the time is anyone's guess.)  Said programmer thought that was stupid, so when he finished up his game program to submit, he did it with his workaround that employed a proper copyright symbol.

Quiz time, did Mattel:

1. Note this programmer's clever fix and go from there OR

2. Mattel's marketing saw this, immediately assumed this would (somehow) remove any copyright claims for every game released prior, and then threaten said clever programmer with the entire weight of their legal department until cooler heads had to come in and fix the mess marketing and legal caused in the entire corporation
  • edited 2012-08-16 22:14:56
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Considering how insane video game companies were before the Crash, I'll go with number 2. If their lawyers had done their homework, they would have known that the missing copyright notice thing only applies to works published before 1978.
    Oh yeah, you know how the NES version of Double Dragon didn't have 2-player simultaneous play?

The Atari 2600 version did:
    Wow, that's quite impressive.